Akeem Spence Is No Ndamukong Suh. And Why That Might Be A Good Thing. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Akeem Spence Is No Ndamukong Suh. And Why That Might Be A Good Thing.

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
th

"All the defensive tackles are rotating, so me and Jordan [Phillips] go out there first and then [Davon] Godchaux comes in with the second group," Spence said. "Or Godchaux goes out there first. It’s just what we’re doing, we’re always rotating. We never know who’s going to be on the field.”
That's why the Dolphins' post-draft trade for Spence was important, even if it went largely under the radar. Without him, the Dolphins would not have had enough quality bodies to implement their hockey line-change approach.
The Dolphins needed a replacement for Ndamukong Suh, who was on the field for a staggering 84 percent of his team's defensive plays last year — a workload that Spence called "ridiculous."

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article213025299.html#storylink=cpy

The Dolphins needed a replacement for Ndamukong Suh, who was on the field for a staggering 84 percent of his team's defensive plays last year — a workload that Spence called "ridiculous."

Suh's pay was "ridiculous" and a good reason why he had to be on the field that much. No depth because you spent so much on one player.

Suh is an enigma to me. In Detroit he was rated as one of, if not the top DE and the defense was supposed to be great every year and never really was. In Miami he was rated one of the top 3 DTs in the league and his play also reflected that and while Miami had deficiencies it was expected that the defense should be good with Suh and co. on the front line.

Never has a Suh lead defense been great. There are a few good years sprinkled in there but never great. It makes you question if Suh is good for a defense simply because he occupies resources that make it hard to address other fundamental needs.

Last edited:
I don't care about first string DT and second string DT, It might hurt a feeling or two if a player is not listed as starter, but if you are going to rotate lines such as in Hockey then I say find consistency between the players. For instance we'll just run a depth chart, #1 Phillips, #2 DG, #3 Spenc, #4 VT, I don't care if VT is listed as starter if him and Phillips have better cohesion. Sure DG might the second best, but if he's better along side Spence then so be it. I do think that you need to set a default A team though that need to suck it up and have an extra rotation or two. It used to make me so mad back in the days when the game was tight and we would have our starting DL rotated out just to see the other team walk the field and tie or take the lead. I understand rest and rotation, but Suh always nutted up and played as much as allowed. sometimes that extra 10% of plays you might need to take over can be the difference between them busting through a gap in the middle or the ball being stopped and turned over

I like the "hockey like rotation" but how will that work when the other team is playing up-tempo or a 2 minute fast offense?

that's when they need to suck it and put in their 60% of the plays instead of 50% for the game. our biggest thing is we just need to sustain some dang drives on offense next year, 3 and out isn't gonna cut it for the D

Suh is a great player and played great while he was here for us, despite how people try to make it look now that we cut him.

With that said, I much prefer having a rotation the way we do now at DT.

I like the "hockey like rotation" but how will that work when the other team is playing up-tempo or a 2 minute fast offense?
I suspect each line will play for several consecutive plays. If the offense is not huddling, then they stay in for the entire series or until there's a time-out. It would be wild if they intend to swap out after each play.

Suh is an enigma to me. In Detroit is was rated as one of if not the top DE and the defense was supposed to be great every year and never really was. In Miami he was rated one of the top 3 DTs in the league and his play also reflected that and while Miami had deficiencies it was expected that the defense should be good with Suh and co. on the front line.

Never has a Suh lead defense been great. There are a few good years sprinkled in there but never great. It makes you question if Suh is good for a defense simply because he occupies resources that make it hard to address other fundamental needs.
Completely agree. He cripples the defense simply because of the salary he commands.

On a side note, I'm keeping a close eye on the Rams defense this year because he took somewhat of a discount and joined an already dominant group. I think they will absolutely eat teams alive this year.

Completely agree. He cripples the defense simply because of the salary he commands.

On a side note, I'm keeping a close eye on the Rams defense this year because he took somewhat of a discount and joined an already dominant group. I think they will absolutely eat teams alive this year.

He didn't take a discount he was subsidized by the money he was guaranteed by Miami lol.

I agree if the Ram's D isn't "elite" this year (and I don't use that term often the last elite D was Baltimore in 2000) it will be very telling.

We need to move on from the players that are gone. It's not always about having one great player but rather, having a real team that plays well together. Time will tell what happens but our defense was never very good with Suh here. No I don't blame him as a player for it but you don't spend that type of money on a freaking DT.

He didn't take a discount he was subsidized by the money he was guaranteed by Miami lol.

I agree if the Ram's D isn't "elite" this year (and I don't use that term often the last elite D was Baltimore in 2000) it will be very telling.

2013 Seahawks D was elite, you stingy bastard.

2006 Bears D was soooo close too. That group would've rode Grossman to a SB if not for the injuries. Harris (who had the most dominant season from a DT that I've ever seen besides for maybe Jenkins in his early Panther days) and Brown were back breakers ... Vasher, Peanut, Ogunleye, etc didn't help either. Healthy and they get lumped in with the Ravens and Bucs teams that won because of the D.

Suh is a total enigma. We'll never know what 'could've been' because he was never put in a great position to succeed. There's a certain QB that's been lead down that same path.

Last edited:
th

"All the defensive tackles are rotating, so me and Jordan [Phillips] go out there first and then [Davon] Godchaux comes in with the second group," Spence said. "Or Godchaux goes out there first. It’s just what we’re doing, we’re always rotating. We never know who’s going to be on the field.”
That's why the Dolphins' post-draft trade for Spence was important, even if it went largely under the radar. Without him, the Dolphins would not have had enough quality bodies to implement their hockey line-change approach.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article213025299.html#storylink=cpy

Maybe a little OT, but my concern is how the rotation works. I still remember Philbin's rotation regimen. If it were 4Q and two minutes left with the D HAVING to get a stop, Philbin stuck with the rotation. If that meant Wake on the bench, so be it. I like the idea of rotation, but there are times when rotation is secondary to the situation.
I like the DL players and think they should do well. I like the idea of rotation. With a good LB corp, I like it even better. And I suspect Gase et al will not be slavish to the rotation. Keep players rested, but not at the expense of the situation.

I suspect each line will play for several consecutive plays. If the offense is not huddling, then they stay in for the entire series or until there's a time-out. It would be wild if they intend to swap out after each play.
I think the thought process was for them to rotate every 4-5 plays

Gotta love the talking points against Suh. Even though he played, was consistently double teamed and the right side of the DLINE seemed to be targeted a majority of the time against the opposing teams rush offense.

It wasn't Suh fault others on defense were unable to win one on one matchups. That was a personnel problem like thinking trading for Philly castoffs were a good thing. Suh earned his keep, can you say the same of Maxwell and Alonso? How about the decline of Wake?

Suh is gone, and I wish him the best. But the echo chamber seems to do this to every single FA brought in and sent packing.

As for the rotation stuff...we will see. Attrition will play its role, and to date, no one on that DLINE was better than the man sent packing.

Back
Top Bottom