Akeem Spence Is No Ndamukong Suh. And Why That Might Be A Good Thing. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Akeem Spence Is No Ndamukong Suh. And Why That Might Be A Good Thing.

It's the biggest gamble of the offseason. My biggest concern is the run defense. I think the defense is built to play with a lead, but I don't know if Miami will be able to stop the run.

The good news is that the offense should be better so maybe the Dolphins will actually have some leads to play with.
Good point. We couldn't stop the run when he was here. Not sure how swapping Suh out for Spence can help at all. Especially with our unproven lbs.

which is why Suh has zero rings and Brady has 5. Love it or hate it the Pat's philosophy works. Pay a small core of guys slightly higher pay and then use average talent to win. It is frustrating that is hasn't blown up in their faces yet.
This only works because of Brady/Belicheck though. Very difficult to replicate.

Only thing it tells me is they moved the line problems from the offensive side to the defensive side, funny we have more quality defensive ends and pay them 6 times what we pay all the DT's - and pay someone who's not here anymore, more than we pay all the players here - not only this year but next year to, more than likely....the Mike Tannenbaum special

DE Robert Quinn 11.5 mil, Andre Branch 10 mil, Cameron Wake 9.6 mil, William Hayes 4 mil - nice bargain, Charles Harris 2.5 mil - total 37.6 mil
DT Akeem Spence 2.9 mil, Jordan Phillips 1.3 mil Gabe Wright 630k, Davon Godchaux 600k, Vincent Taylor 593k - total 6.0 mil

Suh dead money cap hit 9.1 mil in 2018 - jumps to 14.5 in 2019 - we paid Suh over 20 mil a yr to play here after all said and done

Last edited:
My question about this rotational theory is we may not know much until it's too late. It won't be tested until week 1. They are not going to get much rotational work in the preseason games....meaning it won't be 4 players rotating for 4 quarters.

We face a darn good running team in week 1. The Titans with Derrick Henry and Dion Lewis and a pretty good line.

Are any of these guys as good as Soliai and Starks? Or even Odrick and Starks? (let alone Suh) How much can big man, Jordan Phillips run to the ball before he is out of gas? He has struggled to get minimal reps up until now and NOW we are counting on him for 50% of the snaps? He was at 38% last year.

How does this philosophy work when someone gets injured? Are any of the younger guys capable or are we going to be scrambling to find a quality DT on the open market?

Probably my biggest positional question mark on the team.....

Not saying it won't work but it's a gamble. Our only hope may be that Burke finally gets this defense playing TEAM football.

Only thing it tells me is they moved the line problems from the offensive side to the defensive side, funny we have more quality defensive ends and pay them 6 times what we pay all the DT's - and pay someone who's not here anymore, more than we pay all the players here - not only this year but next year to, more than likely....the Mike Tannenbaum special

DE Robert Quinn 11.5 mil, Andre Branch 10 mil, Cameron Wake 9.6 mil, William Hayes 4 mil - nice bargain, Charles Harris 2.5 mil - total 37.6 mil
DT Akeem Spence 2.9 mil, Jordan Phillips 1.3 mil Gabe Wright 630k, Davon Godchaux 600k, Vincent Taylor 593k - total 6.0 mil

Suh dead money cap hit 9.1 mil in 2018 - jumps to 14.5 in 2019 - we paid Suh over 20 mil a yr to play here after all said and done

The Suh dead hit is around $22 mil. The signing was not smart (as I said at the time ... didn't go well) but to negotiate an extension so cap restricting that not only forces you to release the player, but was also so gargantuan that you can't even get anything in return for the guy ... is the definition of stupid and immediate grounds for firing.

Seriously, name some stupider moves in the history of sports. Ditka giving up an entire draft for Ricky? Otis Smith's epic reign in Orlando ... re-absorbing that insane Hedo Turkoglu contract as the bow on top? The Grant Hill trade? Boston letting Babe go to the Yanks? The Herschel Walker trade?

Tannenbaum is a parasite and the fins are playing host. How long does Ross continue to let this impostor leech off the fins? It's gone from beyond inept to reckless. Paying an extremely productive player $22 mil to NOT play here ... is this real life?!?

How much can big man, Jordan Phillips run to the ball before he is out of gas? He has struggled to get minimal reps up until now and NOW we are counting on him for 50% of the snaps? He was at 38% last year.

It won't be quite 50% of snaps per DT, I think. They seem to want to use DEs inside on obvious passing downs: Hayes and even Harris. The roster seems to have more decent DEs than DTs at this point.

It won't be quite 50% of snaps per DT, I think. They seem to want to use DEs inside on obvious passing downs: Hayes and even Harris. The roster seems to have more decent DEs than DTs at this point.

I was just thinking about this as well. In pass rush situations with Quinn and Wake on the outside & now you can put Hayes and Harris on the inside to face interior linemen. Harris and that spin move should come in handy. I fully expect to see a huge leap from Harris this year.

All goes as planned and this rotation should be relatively fresh in the 4th quarter. Going against OL that have played every snap.

As far as snap counts for the interior, I expect them to go with the top 2 players for the majority of the snaps even if it is just by a small margin. Phillips is not getting paid next year if he doesn't up his snap count though. You know he is thinking about that. Let's see if he puts in the work to enable him to do it. Conditioning....

Phillips came on strong over the last part of the season. I have to think that's because he had fewer snaps and was fresher as well as he was probably in better shape after using the season to get there.

Often it's not the superstar individual talent, but the lack of holes at other positions that allows a team to succeed.

I've said a few times, good teams have a LOT of average talent. What they dont have is bottom decile players

Or his asking price is still too high.

I suspect he is looking for another multi-year deal with plenty guaranteed. If he did come available on a one year prove-it deal the Dolphins should pounce all over that!

A highly motivated Hankins in a year where he is looking to get another fat deal would be just what the doctor ordered for our anemic defensive interior.

Akeem Spence has no guarantee on his 2.9 mil. We could cut him and it costs us nothing.

I suspect he is looking for another multi-year deal with plenty guaranteed. If he did come available on a one year prove-it deal the Dolphins should pounce all over that!

A highly motivated Hankins in a year where he is looking to get another fat deal would be just what the doctor ordered for our anemic defensive interior.

Akeem Spence has no guarantee on his 2.9 mil. We could cut him and it costs us nothing.

I’m all for signing Hankins but he is a fat guy in a little coat. He’s not a workout guy. I’m not sure he’s built for this heat or wants any part of it.

Back
Top Bottom