Akili Smith | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Akili Smith

Hurricane495

2001 Rookie of the Year
Reaction score
I say screw Griese if he wants to be greedy and Lets sign Akili Smith Every quarterback can be good with the right offense and lets face it Smith certainly didnt have that in Cinncinati (Besides Corey Dillon )Lets give him a shot:D

Every quarterback can be good with the right offense and lets face it Smith certainly didnt have that in Cinncinati (Besides Corey Dillon )Lets give him a shot

If there was a way to express disagreement more strongly while still being polite than saying "I disagree" then that is what I'd be saying hehe.

Not every quarterback can be good in the right offense. Ray Lucas certainly wasn't. Jay Fiedler didn't have what it took after coming back from the thumb injury. Cade McNown couldn't feel us. Sage Rosenfels in his first year of the offense didn't even garner enough trust in him to sub in for a pitiful Ray Lucas. Jeff George did not do well in Turner's offense in Washington. Akili Smith's play in Cincinnati was HORRIBLE. Easily as horrible as anything Cryan Leaf did in San Diego. Worst than what Cade McNown did in Chicago with worst weapons than Akili Smith. Let me put it to you this way: JON KITNA succeeded in Cincy's offense, where Akili Smith failed. And that was with Gus Frerotte being so far into the coaches' doghouse because of attitude problems that Akili was #1 option B to Jon Kitna's A.

Just say no to Akili Smith. He is not a good fit to be our primary backup AT ALL. The guy has never succeeded in the NFL. We might as well sign Cryan Leaf to be our #1 backup. I wouldn't be opposed to Akili sitting on the bench as the #3 clipboard holder, but I would most definitely be opposed to us letting go of Sage Rosenfels in order to do that. And I would most definitely be opposed to going into the season with Sage as our primary backup because we don't know enough about him when he comes into a game. The guy is still in his swaddling clothes when we're prepped for a super bowl run and need a guy who is already potty trained and ready to step in and run a safe offense should Jay go down.

Originally posted by ckparrothead

If there was a way to express disagreement more strongly while still being polite than saying "I disagree" then that is what I'd be saying hehe.

Not every quarterback can be good in the right offense. Ray Lucas certainly wasn't. Jay Fiedler didn't have what it took after coming back from the thumb injury. Cade McNown couldn't feel us. Sage Rosenfels in his first year of the offense didn't even garner enough trust in him to sub in for a pitiful Ray Lucas. Jeff George did not do well in Turner's offense in Washington. Akili Smith's play in Cincinnati was HORRIBLE. Easily as horrible as anything Cryan Leaf did in San Diego. Worst than what Cade McNown did in Chicago with worst weapons than Akili Smith. Let me put it to you this way: JON KITNA succeeded in Cincy's offense, where Akili Smith failed. And that was with Gus Frerotte being so far into the coaches' doghouse because of attitude problems that Akili was #1 option B to Jon Kitna's A.

Just say no to Akili Smith. He is not a good fit to be our primary backup AT ALL. The guy has never succeeded in the NFL. We might as well sign Cryan Leaf to be our #1 backup. I wouldn't be opposed to Akili sitting on the bench as the #3 clipboard holder, but I would most definitely be opposed to us letting go of Sage Rosenfels in order to do that. And I would most definitely be opposed to going into the season with Sage as our primary backup because we don't know enough about him when he comes into a game. The guy is still in his swaddling clothes when we're prepped for a super bowl run and need a guy who is already potty trained and ready to step in and run a safe offense should Jay go down.

Akili Smith is still relatively young and he has great talent to work with.Why are you so quit to bury Smith career as QB?There alot of players in the league who didn't suceed first time around but finally put it all together in another team.At worst the Dolphins have a #3 QB but he still has potential to be a starting QB under right guidence(Hopefully Norv if Fins sign him).Is true Griese is a much better option because he is more polish QB but certianly is not worth paying Griese agent demands.

I'm w/CK. Picking someone as our backup QB who is not capable a being the 3rd string QB for the Bungles w/b a low point for the offseason, especially considering our biggest OS need was to relpace Lucas IMO

First off...

There alot of players in the league who didn't suceed first time around but finally put it all together in another team

Name me some quarterbacks. Better yet. Name me some first round quarterbacks that were a BUST for the team that drafted them, and found a home on a new team and did well. I can think of three guys offhand who fit the same bill and did NOT resurrect their careers and two of them happened to be guys the Dolphins signed to try and do just that. Cryan Leaf, Jim Druckenmiller, and Cade McNown. Garbage on their first team, garbage on every team since. Can you think of any first round QBs who were terrible and cast out from their first team and then made it with another team? I know Brett Favre doesnt fit cuz he wasnt terrible with the Falcons and a lot of teams still wanted him (and I dont believe he was given up for a low draft pick either). Vinny Testeverde was never really terrible in his career before he had a career year with the Jets. Jeff George...well, thats a pretty well-documented dismal career right there. I think Tommy Maddox is the only guy who fits (I thought he was drafted high, wasn't he?) and he's had to bounce around a couple of leagues for years before he finally had a good year.

Second off, we're talking about our primary backup QB job. You asked me why I'm so quick to dismiss Smith, and I ask you why you're so quick to dismiss Sage Rosenfels. Because by signing Smith, the only SMART thing to do with him is have him be the 3rd QB while he learns the offense and learns the nuances of the position because I think we can all agree he's got a lot of learning to do. It would be EXACTLY like it was with Cade McNown and Jim Druckenmiller. They'd ride the 3rd string pine for a year and learn a bit and in the meantime try and show us what they can do.

Are you honestly, honestly trying to say that you would actually entrust Akili Smith with the primary backup quarterback position? Do you remember what happened in the six games Ray Lucas had to step in for Jay Fiedler? We lost 4 of those games and subsequently missed the playoffs and a GOOD chance at a title. So now our answer for the backup quarterback spot is AKILI SMITH??? Thats even worst than heading into a season with Ray Lucas. At least Lucas had started in a bunch of games and actually had a modicum of success in the NFL. Akili Smith, admittedly a guy who would need to learn a lot from Norv Turner, has not. And one freak play Jay Fiedler goes down, and Akili Smith is the guy that steps in?

On the flipside, what do we know about Sage Rosenfels? Why would we think he would be any different from Ray Lucas. The guy has not had any experience starting in the NFL and everyone (including and especially coaches) admits that he still has a lot to learn as well. So he steps into his first game as starter in the NFL, and how can we be sure that he wouldn't be as nervous and easily excitable as Ray Lucas was when he was stumbling over himself and fumbling handoffs and tossing the ball right into defenders' chests. Remember, Ray Lucas in practice looked nothing like the Ray Lucas we saw in games. It was all about how he reacted to the gameday experience, not about his talent. I think in order to protect this super bowl run we need a primary backup QB who has started in this league and who has succeeded, maybe not someone who can do it all themselves cuz that would be starter-quality, but someone who can run an offense and not get overly excited or fvck everything up. Those guys to my knowledge, are Brian Griese and Neil O'Donnell.

So basically if Akili Smith were to be in our plans, I see these as the only even possible options.

Option #1. Cut Sage Rosenfels, Akili Smith is our #3 QB and we get Griese/O'Donnell to be an EXPERIENCED primary backup for us.
Response: Why? Once again, you ask me why I'm so quick to dismiss Smith, and I ask you why you're so quick to dismiss Rosenfels before we've even given him a legitimate shot!

Option #2. Keep 4 quarterbacks...we sign Griese/O'Donnell, sign Akili Smith and have both he and Sage Rosenfels battle it out for #3 and #4 positions
Response: We've got such tough competition at so many spots I personally don't think we can afford the luxury of 4 quarterbacks...nor could we probably afford it on the salary cap.

Option #3. Keep Sage Rosenfels, sign Akili Smith and let them battle it out for the primary backup spot.
Response: Ok first off Sage would probably win this easily. If we do this, how could anyone say we have fixed the problem at backup quarterback that cost us the PLAYOFFS and possibly cost us a CHAMPIONSHIP run last year? Big fat F goes to the front office for bungling if they did this. And if Akili by some miracle of miracles won the job ahead of Sage Rosenfels, still your entrusting our primary backup QB job to a guy who can't read defenses, needs to learn a LOT more to be even serviceable, a guy who got beaten out easily by JON KITNA in Cincinnati. And since when is Cincy's offense bad? Last time I checked they had perennial thousand yard rusher Corey Dillon there, Peter Warrick who (while still not worth the #1 pick in draft) is a serviceable WR, and the exciting Chad Johnson who caught for like 23,000 yards this year. Not an all in all bad offensive line either. So why isn't Akili Smith beating out Jon Kitna in this offense again? Why is it that Akili Smith is failing where Jon Kitna is succeeding?

Akili Smith...just doesn't fit.

Originally posted by Hurricane495
I say screw Griese if he wants to be greedy and Lets sign Akili Smith Every quarterback can be good with the right offense and lets face it Smith certainly didnt have that in Cinncinati (Besides Corey Dillon )Lets give him a shot:D

Is Griese being greedy? I don't think so. From what I've seen, it's about that ridiculous incentive pkg we've offered. A pkg that may be better suited for a starter instead of a backup. Wannstedt is up to his imept tricks again! :mad:

I know they kept Sage around this summer to learn the offense, but it would have been nice to see him in NFLE. I like him and I would have loved to see him get some playing time.

Steve

You have some good valid points but I still think Akili Smith could turn it around under right coaching staff.

Back
Top Bottom