Alabama Crimson Tide Wins Title with Defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alabama Crimson Tide Wins Title with Defense

WelcomeBack

Active Roster
Reaction score
Sports Reviews

In front of about 73,000 people last night, the 13-0 LSU Tigers played the worst game of the season, dropping to 13-1 and losing to the Alabama Crimson Tide in the BCS Championship game.

While quarterback AJ McCarron played a huge role as a difference maker, completing 23 of his 34 passes for 234 yards, it was the defense that won the game; the same defense that allowed an average of just over eight points per game on the season.

The points per game statistics are misleading in regards to Bama's defense. They're looking only at the final score of games and automatically attributing every point the opponent scored to the defense... which is incorrect.

Bama's defense only gives up 6.5 PPG total (including the 3 points LSU scored in overtime on Nov. 5th) and only gives up 6.3 PPG in regulation.

For example, the final score of the Auburn game was 42-14. Auburn's offense didn't score a single point against Bama's defense. They were completely shut out.

Auburn got a touchdown by recovering an A.J. McCarron fumble in the endzone, and Onterrio McCalebb returned the kickoff to open the 2nd half back for the other touchdown. None of those points were given up by the defense.

Georgia Southern scored 21 points in a game that Bama didn't game plan for, but only 14 of those points were scored on the defense. The special teams gave up the other TD on a kickoff return.

The only reason Kent St. scored 7 points at all in the season opener was because McCarron threw an INT and Kent St. returned it all the way to the 3 yard line.

Alabama's defense literally ranks 1st in every statistical category there is. Not just rushing, passing, scoring and total defense. They also rank 1st in several other categories (3rd down conversion, QB rating against, YPA, YPC, red zone scoring, total TD's given up, etc., etc.)

Since the NCAA began keeping statistics in 1937, Bama's defense is only the 2nd to rank #1 in the 4 major categories (rushing, passing, scoring, and total defense). But the ONLY defense to also rank #1 in all the other categories as well.

I've seen some great defenses in college football in my time (almost 50 years), but I've never seen a defense this dominant.

I think in Alabama's last 2 games that were both shutouts by the defense (Auburn and LSU) the opposing offense has only crossed the 50 yardline twice.

I was hoping to get into a debate about this bama team and I think the 2001 canes team would beat bama. Miamis d was more opportunistic and they had a much better o. Dorsey was an under rated college qb and we were loaded at rb. Te goes to Miami as well as wr. Coaching goes to saban of course goes Coker was a hack.,

I wouldn't want to face this Bama team, and especially not after Saban has had a month to prepare.

In Bama's last two bowl games against the #9 and #1 teams in the country, they've outscored them by a combined score of 70-7. That 7 points came against 3rd stringers with 5 minutes left in the game when the score was 49-0.

Let this sink in for a minute. Bama's defense has given up a total of 263 yards of offense in both of those games combined.

I'll play any team there's ever been with this Bama squad.

Nick Saban....... Best coach in any sport at any level. Period.

The ACC Champion (Clemson) gave up the same number of offensive TD's in one night in the Orange Bowl (9) that Alabama has given up all season.

Back
Top Bottom