Albert Wilson needs the ball | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Albert Wilson needs the ball

I have no doubt that O'shea can scheme a guy open, but those plays take time to develop, as a rule. Fitz doesn't usually have time to wait with a vitually unabated pass rush in his face.

Yup. If I'm DC, I'm going to find a way to get quick pressure. DVP and MG are dangerous on those mid to deep passes.
That's why Wilson (or someone similar) is a need.

Yup. If I'm DC, I'm going to find a way to get quick pressure. DVP and MG are dangerous on those mid to deep passes.
That's why Wilson (or someone similar) is a need.
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

Do you mean as a quick twitch slot receiver, or a steady "slant" route guy?

Wilson is not that player, IMO.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

Do you mean as a quick twitch slot receiver, or a steady "slant" route guy?

Wilson is not that player, IMO.

Wilson, when healthy, is the closest Miami has to a short pass receiver, however they get him the ball. Not ideal, but DVP, Williams, MG aren't that type of receiver. RF uses them on slants, but more often intermediate and deep. Remember all those games when RF had less than 2 sec to pass?

Wilson, when healthy, is the closest Miami has to a short pass receiver, however they get him the ball. Not ideal, but DVP, Williams, MG aren't that type of receiver. RF uses them on slants, but more often intermediate and deep. Remember all those games when RF had less than 2 sec to pass?
I just don't see Wilson as "that guy" either. He is too easy to jam at the line, and throw off timing on those quick hitters, and opposing DCs know it. He would also be an injury waiting to happen going across the middle on slants.

That's where a guy like Landry excelled. He was tough enough to put a slot corner on his a$$ if he got in his face, and tough enough to take a hit on a slant, without coughing up the ball.

I just don't see Wilson as "that guy" either. He is too easy to jam at the line, and throw off timing on those quick hitters, and opposing DCs know it. He would also be an injury waiting to happen going across the middle on slants.

That's where a guy like Landry excelled. He was tough enough to put a slot corner on his a$$ if he got in his face, and tough enough to take a hit on a slant, without coughing up the ball.

Don't disagree. Wilson is best in motion and could get separation that way (pre-injury). Didn't mean to imply Wilson was that guy. He's the type of guy Miami needs.

Probably receiver is where we are deepest currently. Lots of guys with some potential on the roster or IR currently. Running back and offensive line is where I am looking this year outside if QB. Outside of that then pass rushers are up next.

Probably receiver is where we are deepest currently. Lots of guys with some potential on the roster or IR currently. Running back and offensive line is where I am looking this year outside if QB. Outside of that then pass rushers are up next.

Not going to say Miami doesn't need RB - they do. My priorities are QB (if available), OL, edge, CB. RB? Yup, but through FA or day 2 pick. I agree, DVP, Williams, MG, Hurns, maybe Wilson, if he gets back to pre-injury. Not a bad group.

Not going to say Miami doesn't need RB - they do. My priorities are QB (if available), OL, edge, CB. RB? Yup, but through FA or day 2 pick. I agree, DVP, Williams, MG, Hurns, maybe Wilson, if he gets back to pre-injury. Not a bad group.
Absolutely agree with your priorities, right down to the QB qualifier.

It's impossible to say, at this point, how the combination of FAs and draft fill these needs, but O-line and edge is a must fix. While i do think it's important to get a between the tackles RB, it's one of the easier positions to fill on day two of the draft.

I find it quite amusing when people refer to Wilson as a gadget player, when he's consistently been at the top of the league in average separation... I mean, even when he was playing for Gase, who everyone seems to agree, was a terrible coach...? Something doesnt add up here...

Wilson's Average separation rankings:

2019: 9th
2017: 1st
2016: 6th

Wilson was our 1 true game-changer last season. Whether he still has it in him post-injury recovery remains to be seen. And this is a good time to determine that.

If he still is, aside from the obvious benefits, he's another impact player lining up who will keep defenses honest.

I find it quite amusing when people refer to Wilson as a gadget player, when he's consistently been at the top of the league in average separation... I mean, even when he was playing for Gase, who everyone seems to agree, was a terrible coach...? Something doesnt add up here...
Because his "separation" is a product of the way he is used.

If he just lined up as a wideout play after play, he gets destroyed, and thrown (literally) off his routes.

There's a reason he isn't used like a normal reciever, unless you believe three different staffs, one headed by Andy Reid, can't evaluate him properly.

Because his "separation" is a product of the way he is used.

If he just lined up as a wideout play after play, he gets destroyed, and thrown (literally) off his routes.

There's a reason he isn't used like a normal reciever, unless you believe three different staffs, one headed by Andy Reid, can't evaluate him properly.
I dont know how he'd manage to get thrown off his routes so often given he's also pretty much at the top of the league in average cushion... ?

And before you come back with well, the cushion is obviously the reason he's got so much separation, nope... They actually dont correlate much...

Not sure what you mean by "he isnt used like a normal WR"...? here's his route tree from 2017 when he was 1st in the league...

wilson route tree.jpg

How is that not normal in your opinion?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom