Alex Okafor | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Okafor

NUGap

Active Roster
Reaction score
I'm curious what people's thoughts are on Alex Okafor? I haven't really seen a discussion here about him nor could I find one when I looked.

He's a guy who intrigues me. I looked at him early on tape and wasn't really impressed, didn't think I saw anything special from him. Then of course he did extremely well during the Senior Bowl practices, against good competition, which piqued my interest. Then nearly every metric I have run on pass rushers (and they are my most detailed by far, with full data compiled by STATS), he comes out on top. Highest Pass Rush Productivity Per Snap, hardest strength of schedule (that is, his pressures and sacks came against the strongest opponents), he didn't receive a high amount of help from other pass rushers on the team (indicating he did a lot by himself), and he had the fastest time getting to the QB. Stats aren't everything, but combined with the Senior Bowl practices, it's interesting.

So now there is cognitive dissonance on my part and I'm curious what other people think. What are your thoughts on him? Would you take him at 42 if he makes it there? Last year, a lot of people wanted to trade back into the 1st round to grab Nick Perry, do you like Okafor enough to consider doing the same thing?

I like Okafor, but I'm surprised to read that he did that well. I don't see a lot of explosion there. Really good value at 42 - if he lasts.

I think he would be a good compliment to Wake. He may not have the explosion, but he can set the edge and has the power to drive the defenders back into the QB. He has a high motor and can serve as supplemental pass rusher to a more explosive player on the other side.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Okafor, but I'm surprised to read that he did that well. I don't see a lot of explosion there. Really good value at 42 - if he lasts.

That was similar to the read I had when I first watched him. You see athleticism, but I wasn't wowed by anything particularly special. Which was why I was a bit confused when I messed around with the stats. Not just basic stuff like # of sacks, but numbers indicating he was one of the fastest and most efficient guys at getting to the QB in nearly every category. I don't know if that's just talent or if there's another factor for it. If there is another reason, I'm having a hard time finding it. I still need to go back and re-watch some of his games having seen the SR Bowl practices and the numbers, see what matches up and what doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom