Alex Smith and subtle mixed messages | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith and subtle mixed messages

South Florida

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Alex Smith, when asked to choose between fame and fortune in his NFL pop quiz, chose FAME saying that he isn't into material things.

Then he hurts his chances at being selected 1st because the 49ers want a contract that is less than what Eli Manning received last year and Smith and agent Tom Condon refused to adhere to that philosophy, where Aaron Rodgers will cooperate.

Demanding more than 20 million dollars in guaranteed money seems to conflict with his claims that he's not materialistic.

Miss Universe wants to pay his family debts, they must be very wealthy though, if 5 or 6 millions are their current debt.

First off know one knows what he is demanding and secondly it would only be fair. The salary cap is higher which raises the figure to sign your rookies. If he's #1 overall he should get more than the previous #1 got despite the perceptions of a weak draft.

Joey 22 said:
Miss Universe wants to pay his family debts, they must be very wealthy though, if 5 or 6 millions are their current debt.

I think all he wants is world peace. :lol:

South Florida said:
Alex Smith, when asked to choose between fame and fortune in his NFL pop quiz, chose FAME saying that he isn't into material things.

Then he hurts his chances at being selected 1st because the 49ers want a contract that is less than what Eli Manning received last year and Smith and agent Tom Condon refused to adhere to that philosophy, where Aaron Rodgers will cooperate.

Demanding more than 20 million dollars in guaranteed money seems to conflict with his claims that he's not materialistic.

i think that it's more of a 'i don't wanna play for the niners' deal than a money deal. if he asks for a ridiculous contract, the niners may not take him. and this is jmho but he and his agent may be looking at it this way: in sf, he might play immediately b/c they are gonna suck this coming year too so they have nothing to lose; in mia or tb, he can sit back and learn for a while as the #3 guy b/c niether saban nor gruden will throw him to the wolves.

Here's a question:

If Rodgers does settle for less than Manning, do we pay Smith according to what Rodgers gets?

Or can he still get more than Manning from us?

HysterikiLL said:
I think all he wants is world peace. :lol:

The very same day he was interviewed I posted that, I posted:

Yeah, and he also wants world peace, I dont want Miss Universe at QB.

South Florida said:

Alex Smith said that cause he doesnt want to go to san francisco...he'd rather play with saban or gruden not nolan

Buddwalk said:
Alex Smith said that cause he doesnt want to go to san francisco...he'd rather play with saban or gruden not nolan

I think it's more he doesn't want to play for the organization than not wanting to play for Nolan.

Smith is taking a similar approach that Eli took last year, the only difference is Eli's dad came out and said don't draft him making Eli and Archie look bad. Smith is trying to save face by asking for a bigger contract so that the 9ers will take Rodgers instead.

In away Smith has similar motives. The Chargers came out and told Eli they thought Rivers was better but would draft him because he had more value, and Nolan and his staff have said that they like Rodgers more.

Smith is taking a similar approach that Eli took last year, the only difference is Eli's dad came out and said don't draft him making Eli and Archie look bad. Smith is trying to save face by asking for a bigger contract so that the 9ers will take Rodgers instead.

I believe Alex Smith wants to come to Miami and play for Saban, and he will eventually sign a very favorable deal with us... favorable TO us.

I really don't like Tom Condon as an agent (unless he was mine ;)). I've never seen any of his players sign quick. In fact, they seem to drag on and on and on ... holding out for as much money as he can squeeze out. I think just having Condon as Smith's agent will prevent him from being the #1 overall pick.

chuckcole said:
I really don't like Tom Condon as an agent (unless he was mine ;)). I've never seen any of his players sign quick. In fact, they seem to drag on and on and on ... holding out for as much money as he can squeeze out. I think just having Condon as Smith's agent will prevent him from being the #1 overall pick.

Eli signed quicker than most people thought he would. Condon does a good job getting his players big contracts, but most of them deserve it. He's nowhere near as bad as Rousehaus or the Postons

Buddwalk said:

that's what i think. he probably relizes that sf has even more holes then we do.

Back
Top Bottom