Alex Smith and the Shotgun Offense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith and the Shotgun Offense

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I havent seen much of Smith other than a game or two, some interviews, and the combine stuff (which wasnt much if at all if I recall, I just remember the NFL Network convo with him)

Anyway, I hear he ran an offense that was primarily out of the shotgun. If so, that does not seem to translate well to the NFL.. He will have to work on his feet, timing, and getting KILLED by some fast, hulking monsters on occasion. So my question is, which NFL QBs ran a similar offense in college and how well did they translate to the NFL?

The other thing that tends to disturb me about Smith is how high his stock went up almost immediately after Leinart stayed in college.. That never sat well with me, even though the two may be entirely unrelated. Does anyone have any articles and such to explain why his stock rose so much so quickly? This wasnt a case where he had a great Senior Bowl like Rivers. It seemed to be directly attributed to NFL team's supposed needs rather than performance.

NOTE: I know he has had good workouts since then, but I dont recall seeing any workouts or anything when he first made his meteoric rise up the draftboards.

Standing ovation by the scouts at his workout -- does that happen at the drop of a hat?

SkapePhin said:
So my question is, which NFL QBs ran a similar offense in college and how well did they translate to the NFL?

Steve McNair....answer you question?

how about Alex's ties to Linehan?

Dudeman said:
Steve McNair....answer you question?

how about Alex's ties to Linehan?

Alex's ties to Linehan are pretty much irrelevant since they have no experience working together. As far as I know, their only connection is Linehan and Alex's father or uncle.

Anyway, so McNair did run a similar offense? That is a little reasurring, though I believe McNair was a bit more mobile out of college, but no biggie. Although, it did take quite a bit of time for McNair to adjust to the NFL and become McNAIR. I dont think Smith would be ready out of the box.. Again, Im not opposed to taking Smith, I just think he isnt a prospect truly worthy of a top 5 pick.

By the way, when did this standing O occur.. Got a link?

SkapePhin said:
Alex's ties to Linehan are pretty much irrelevant since they have no experience working together. As far as I know, their only connection is Linehan and Alex's father or uncle.

Anyway, so McNair did run a similar offense? That is a little reasurring, though I believe McNair was a bit more mobile out of college, but no biggie. Although, it did take quite a bit of time for McNair to adjust to the NFL and become McNAIR. I dont think Smith would be ready out of the box.. Again, Im not opposed to taking Smith, I just think he isnt a prospect truly worthy of a top 5 pick.

By the way, when did this standing O occur.. Got a link?

Link

Now, the real story. Smith was interviewed right after his Pro Day and was asked about the standing ovation. He laughed it off and said that the scouts and personnel were already standing before they started clapping.

SkapePhin said:
I havent seen much of Smith other than a game or two, some interviews, and the combine stuff (which wasnt much if at all if I recall, I just remember the NFL Network convo with him)

Anyway, I hear he ran an offense that was primarily out of the shotgun. If so, that does not seem to translate well to the NFL.. He will have to work on his feet, timing, and getting KILLED by some fast, hulking monsters on occasion. So my question is, which NFL QBs ran a similar offense in college and how well did they translate to the NFL?

The other thing that tends to disturb me about Smith is how high his stock went up almost immediately after Leinart stayed in college.. That never sat well with me, even though the two may be entirely unrelated. Does anyone have any articles and such to explain why his stock rose so much so quickly? This wasnt a case where he had a great Senior Bowl like Rivers. It seemed to be directly attributed to NFL team's supposed needs rather than performance.

The other QB that used a lot of shotgun in college was B. Leftwich, which didn't seem to hurt him in the NFL..Marshall also runs a lot of regular QB under center plays as well, but used the shotgun in about 70% of their passing Offense. I agree about Smith's rise, he wasn't on the map pre Linert's decision. I don't think he's as good as a lot of the guys on this board give him credit for. In the bowls games or regular season did either Smith or Rogers impress me to the point to think they were NFL ready. During the season I thought Campbell, Linehart, and the guy from Tuland handle the QB duties pretty well. Of those 3, I thought Linehart and Campbell were top 10 picks, neither necessarally #1's. Campbell is still my sleeper pick to be a good QB in this league. If we pick him up late in the draft, I'd consider that the #2 pick for us. Linehart was good and yes he had two great runners behind him. But he played the position like it was suppose to be played...the runners didn't make the passes for him, they helped in play action. We need the same, a runner who puts fear in the heart of defenses.

Celtkin said:
Link

Now, the real story. Smith was interviewed right after his Pro Day and was asked about the standing ovation. He laughed it off and said that the scouts and personnel were already standing before they started clapping.

So were they already standing or not? Clapping and a standing ovation are quite different in terms of scale.. No doubt he had a good workout, but a standing ovation, people make it seem like Alex Smith has become the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning.

SkapePhin said:
So were they already standing or not? Clapping and a standing ovation are quite different in terms of scale.. No doubt he had a good workout, but a standing ovation, people make it seem like Alex Smith has become the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning.

Smith said they were already standing and Smith is the best prospect since Manning, or at least as close are we are likely to come for several more years. :D

IMO his rise only appeared meteoric to the casual observer. Since the end of the season he's been a 1st rd pick. What happens is that very few of the draft sites are even updated yet. So though the NFL scouts watch players years ahead, nobody is asking them who they like yet. Early public opinion is mostly based who had the most headlines. As the draft draws closer the names of players who received fewer headlines but are highly thought of by the scouts get leaked and get more press so they move up the draft boards on all the sites. In Smith's case, he also moved up within the 1st b/c there were some questions that weren't answered by the season that he answered at his workout.

rafael said:
IMO his rise only appeared meteoric to the casual observer. Since the end of the season he's been a 1st rd pick. What happens is that very few of the draft sites are even updated yet. So though the NFL scouts watch players years ahead, nobody is asking them who they like yet. Early public opinion is mostly based who had the most headlines. As the draft draws closer the names of players who received fewer headlines but are highly thought of by the scouts get leaked and get more press so they move up the draft boards on all the sites. In Smith's case, he also moved up within the 1st b/c there were some questions that weren't answered by the season that he answered at his workout.

Yet, Rodgers still appears to be the 1st QB taken in the draft?

People pay too much attention to measurables and although Smith is excellent in that area, it's his intelligence that sets him apart. If he displays the willingness to do what's necessary to be a great QB and is well ground, then he would be an excellent choice at 2.

It really would be shameful if we took a RB, even one that had 6-7 really good seasons and then tailed off if Smith was available and developed into a true franchise QB. These opportunites are rare and if Saban is convinced Smith is that good, he most certainly should draft him.

Back
Top Bottom