Alex Smith is a huge smokescreen! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith is a huge smokescreen!

The logic of setting a smokescreen makes no sense. Why would you indicate you are taking a qb when all that does is interest Tampa Bay? Now any team that wants a RB or WR would be less inclined to trade with us because they think we are going QB...that would make no sense for the fins. The best thing Saban could do is exactly what he has done...NOT SAY A WORD. That way no team has a clue what he is doing thus making us more attractive to numerous teams who might trade up.

BlueFin said:
We had a gamebreakiing runner, it didn't get us into the playoffs like we did with lowly old Lamar Smith.

We also had a record that year that would have gotten us in had we played in any other position, and a BACKUP QB that blew 5 straight games (when we were undefeated before that) and finished something like 1-6 or 2-6 before Jay came back and started us winning again. And no, this does "prove a point" for drafting Alex Smith, it proves that we had a sh*tty backup. AJ SHOULD be better than Fiedler was, given his hype from philly anyway, and Gus is a MUCH better backup than Lucas, plus we have better WRs now, so problem solved. RB round one, QB "of the future" later, and is he turns out to be a major bust, there is always round 1 QB next year, no way is Alex Smith worthy of passing up Benson or Brown. Even Williams, although I think Williams would be hindered by the current state of our O-Line, but I'd still take him

NJFINSFAN1 said:
I don't know what Saban is going to do, and either does anyone who posts here, it's all guesses, some educated and some blind. But to say Smith is a bust, you just don't know. Linehan recruited him, knows his family very well. Knows if we pick him and he fails it's his head! I think I will trust Saban and Linehan on this one. If they take Smith, I'm fine with it!

i'm good with that, they're gonna do what's best for the team, its still fun to speculate though, gotta do somethng for the next 4 months until pre-season rolls around, thankfully the heat are doing well

Becks7 said:
The logic of setting a smokescreen makes no sense. Why would you indicate you are taking a qb when all that does is interest Tampa Bay? Now any team that wants a RB or WR would be less inclined to trade with us because they think we are going QB...that would make no sense for the fins. The best thing Saban could do is exactly what he has done...NOT SAY A WORD. That way no team has a clue what he is doing thus making us more attractive to numerous teams who might trade up.

SABAN hasn't said a word, it was "a source" that said we are picking Alex unless we trade down.

This is a smokescreen pure and simple. Just like we were duped last year we are trying to do the samething to TB. Also, I wouldn't mind if we traded again with Minny. We just keep saying were taking the best wr available now that the qb is gone. If we ended up at 7 and had extra(s) 2nd and thrid rd picks we would be in great position. We still get an impact player and now we can fill in some holes with the extra picks.

Agent51 said:
We also had a record that year that would have gotten us in had we played in any other position, and a BACKUP QB that blew 5 straight games (when we were undefeated before that) and finished something like 1-6 or 2-6 before Jay came back and started us winning again. And no, this does "prove a point" for drafting Alex Smith, it proves that we had a sh*tty backup. AJ SHOULD be better than Fiedler was, given his hype from philly anyway, and Gus is a MUCH better backup than Lucas, plus we have better WRs now, so problem solved. RB round one, QB "of the future" later, and is he turns out to be a major bust, there is always round 1 QB next year, no way is Alex Smith worthy of passing up Benson or Brown. Even Williams, although I think Williams would be hindered by the current state of our O-Line, but I'd still take him

Fiedler always choked in the big games. Thats what made him a crappy QB. He was a caretaker- much like Feeley is.

The is exactly why we need to get a real QB.

I DO believe SMITH is a Smokescreen. I think Saban wants TB to trade up for 3 spots for Smith, which then might cause a DOMINO effect making Minnesotta trade up with the Fins new #5 pick and giving us their #7. Remember the Vikings got rid of Moss to get that #7 and take one of the big 2 WR's.....well as time went on Braylon and Mike have been moving up the draft boards and neither of them might get past #6 to the Titans. Hopefully we make everyone in the top 10 nervous and we use it to our advantage.
AT #7 we can still find one of the 3 RB's, maybe a top WR,Possibly The BEST Defensive player, or worst case scenario an OL. I dont have a problem with #7....as long as we're in the top 10 we're good. And don't forget all the 2nd rounders and 3rd rounders we've accumulated if we do those trades with TB and Minny.

Agian, I'm not sure who we take. But if we do take Smith. I could see us doing the same thing the Giants did. Start Gus for 4 or 5 games and then insert Smith. Smith is Familair with the offense.

Agent51 said:
1, this is kinda the topic of like 46 posts already

2, Alex Smith as our pick "...................." Doesn't excite me one bit, not now, not when he takes over our team, not ever. We need a GAMEBREAKING running back. A great QB can only do so much without a RB, do I even NEED to mention Marino? He was the greatest QB EVER yet he will always be that only in our eyes (Dolphins fans) because "he didn't win a SB" so every non Dolphin fan says Montana or another SB winning QB. WHY didn't he win a SB? NO RUNNING. I don't care what ANYBODY says, Alex Smith is not the second coming of Dan Marino, and if Dan couldn't do it in his prime with Clayton and Duper, how is Alex Smith going to do it with Chambers and Booker and in a league that has more improved defenses? He isn't. SCREW Alex Smith, I'm not buying it one bit. He is a product of the shotgun and I don't care how much flak I catch for it because I'm sick of him.

You make a good case here but...the last qb to win 3 Super Bowls in 4 years is...Tom Brady...and he helped his team win it 2 times without a great running game...Corey Dillion 1st season with the Pats was...last season.

Alex Smith fits the Tom Brady mold...smart...great leader...makes the right decisions...good arm...he does not have a cannon but he makes plays for his team when they need a big play...in fact...he reminds me a lot of Tom Brady.

So...now what are you going to say?

You just hate Smith...that's all...but this kid could be our franchise QB for a long time...which in the end could be worth every single draft pick we have this year!!! Why are so many of you against drafting Smith?

I just don't get it. Like Saban said...the QB is the most important position on the field...period. When you have a chance to draft a QB that can potentially be a franchise qb...guess what...you take him!!!

Again...I would rather trade out of the 2 spot and get more picks from Tampa...but I have a feeling Saban is content on drafting Smith....unless of course the Bucs and Gruden make him an offer he can't refuse!!!

Go Fins!!!

Either way (Bucs or Fins), Alex Smith is going #2. Better chance he goes to TB, with MIA getting TB's #5 overall, their 2nd round (#36 overall) and their second 3rd choice (#91 overall). Or, of course, none of this happens.

Dudeman said:
well, then, if we draft him, I hope you like rooting for the Jets.

screw the Jets too. I will ALWAYS be a diehard Dolphin fan. That doesn't mean I have to like all the players or agree with the coach. I survived the crappy DW years and his heartbreaking picks, I can do it again with Saban should he kill me by taking Smith, but you can be DAMN sure I'll never wear Smith's jersey.

Because Rodgers will go 1st any team needing a wideout or runningback improves. I think many teams have both WR's and all 3 big backs rated very close and would be happy any player. But if you wanted a QB and didn't get up to #2 to get the guy you want you have another year of your current QB or a 2nd rounder +.... GreenMonster

Agent51 said:
screw the Jets too. I will ALWAYS be a diehard Dolphin fan. That doesn't mean I have to like all the players or agree with the coach. I survived the crappy DW years and his heartbreaking picks, I can do it again with Saban should he kill me by taking Smith, but you can be DAMN sure I'll never wear Smith's jersey.

You just hurt Smiths feelings!!! :cry:

Sal Lisitano said:
You make a good case here but...the last qb to win 3 Super Bowls in 4 years is...Tom Brady...and he helped his team win it 2 times without a great running game...Corey Dillion 1st season with the Pats was...last season.

Alex Smith fits the Tom Brady mold...smart...great leader...makes the right decisions...good arm...he does not have a cannon but he makes plays for his team when they need a big play...in fact...he reminds me a lot of Tom Brady.

So...now what are you going to say?

You just hate Smith...that's all...but this kid could be our franchise QB for a long time...which in the end could be worth every single draft pick we have this year!!! Why are so many of you against drafting Smith?

I just don't get it. Like Saban said...the QB is the most important position on the field...period. When you have a chance to draft a QB that can potentially be a franchise qb...guess what...you take him!!!

Again...I would rather trade out of the 2 spot and get more picks from Tampa...but I have a feeling Saban is content on drafting Smith....unless of course the Bucs and Gruden make him an offer he can't refuse!!!

Go Fins!!!

Tom Brady = 6th round pick, thus proving my point that the sh*ttiest looking QB on draft day can become the best looking stud a few years down the road, THAT'S what I am going to say.

And no, I don't "just hate Smith", I never cared one way or the other util everyone started wanting US to take him. I never thought he was worthy of the #1 OR #3 (cleveland pick) he was touted as. I don't hate SMITH, but I hate Smith as our first round pick and the "future of our team"

Back
Top Bottom