Alex Smith is a huge smokescreen! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith is a huge smokescreen!

NJFINSFAN1 said:
You just hurt Smiths feelings!!! :cry:

I'm sure him and his Mega Billion $ contract we give him won't give a damn if one fan doesn't wear his jersey

Agent51 said:
We also had a record that year that would have gotten us in had we played in any other position, and a BACKUP QB that blew 5 straight games (when we were undefeated before that) and finished something like 1-6 or 2-6 before Jay came back and started us winning again. And no, this does "prove a point" for drafting Alex Smith, it proves that we had a sh*tty backup. AJ SHOULD be better than Fiedler was, given his hype from philly anyway, and Gus is a MUCH better backup than Lucas, plus we have better WRs now, so problem solved. RB round one, QB "of the future" later, and is he turns out to be a major bust, there is always round 1 QB next year, no way is Alex Smith worthy of passing up Benson or Brown. Even Williams, although I think Williams would be hindered by the current state of our O-Line, but I'd still take him

Well Agent 51, we obviously disagree.

Even with better backup quarterbacking this team was going nowhere once it did reach the playoffs with the mediocre play of its quarterbacks during Rickys years.

Whether we disagree really doesn't matter, because a week from saturday Saban will choose Alex Smith if he doesn't get a boatload for a tradedown, and then you will see within the first year the difference an intelligent, talented, accurate quarterback will make in this team and our future.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Look, Saban wants you guys to think that he thinks you guys think to much! So when you think you know what Saban thinks, he thinks you think what other people think and should think what he really thinks is what he thinks!

Get it!!

:roflmao:

The only way that I would be happy with taking Smith at 2 is if we put him out there starting for 16 games and suck while he learns and we continue to get top 8 picks to put pieces around him.

I think we are so far out of the loop that anything that we read is tough to believe!

hweitz14 said:
I have to hand it to Saban.....he is playing a mean game of poker.

No chance he takes Smith.

If we dont trade back, we'll take Smith if he's there. You are in for a wake up call next Saturday. You dont pass on a potential franchise QB when you dont have a proven starter on your roster.

Phinfan31 said:
Hweitz...you're in denial. You guys REALLY love your Ronnie Brown dont you?? Saban isnt doing this as a smoke screen. He will take the player with the best longterm value to this organization and that will be Alex Smith if we stay at #2. However, he WOULD like to trade down and WHY NOT look at all the options???? If I were him I would do EXACTLY the same thing. If Tampa gives him an offer that he cannot refuse then he will give up the #2 and go a different route in the draft (WR/RB with 5th, then he has a 2nd+3rd) But if Tampa doesnt give the great offer hes looking for then he WILL TAKE ALEX SMITH. He is a student of the game and if you havnt noticed who Saban has been bringing into our team...theyre all very smart guys.

No I don't love Ronnie Brown. What I would like is for Saban to take that player with the most long term value like you said. IMO I believe that that will be one of the 2 big play WR's. We need gamebreakers that can contribute now, not 2-3 years down the road. Now don't get all bent out of shape, Alex Smith is a great player. However, we need to get someone that can come in and have an impact now.

BlueFin said:
Well Agent 51, we obviously disagree.

Even with better backup quarterbacking this team was going nowhere once it did reach the playoffs with the mediocre play of its quarterbacks during Rickys years.

Whether we disagree really doesn't matter, because a week from saturday Saban will choose Alex Smith if he doesn't get a boatload for a tradedown, and then you will see within the first year the difference an intelligent, talented, accurate quarterback will make in this team and our future.

Or you will see what a waste of a pick he is and cry yourself to sleep when Benson and Brown are setting rookie rushing records and he sets rookie passing records, for lowest completion % and most INTs. This debate is dumb and played out. I listen to what all the "pro Smith" people say, and AGREE that we need a good franchise QB, yet everyone refuses to listen to the people, like myself, that think a capable QB can be drafted later. This board (a big part anyway) changes who "would be the best player for this team" and "who they have wanted all along" every few days. That makes for a real strong argument when you switch constantly. No new workouts have been done, no new combine, so what suddenly makes everyone want Smith today over Brown three days ago? Hype, heresay, and the dominoe effect, that's what. I'm done disputing Alex Smith because none of you can agree with, or even entertain, anything that isn't "WE NEED ALEX SMITH if we stay at 2" We shall see what actually happens on draft day, I stand by my Benson pick wether we trade down or stay at #2, and if not Benson, then one of the other two RBs. I also stand by McPherson, Orton, or LeFors as the later round QB pick, as I have since WAY before I even joined this board. If we pick Alex Smith next Saturday and he turns out to actually be worth it, then I will stand corrected and admit I was wrong on this board, but I don't forsee that happening. See how I said "I don't forsee that happening", meaning it is an OPINION? Not "That will never happen, we WILL take Smith if we don't trade down" like everyone else has said. I stand by my picks, have since the begining, not like a lot of people here who change them every other day and it always seems to change to what the majority wants, way to stick to yuor guns and have your own opinions.

I would love to have Alex Smith as the Dolphins #2 pick if we dont trade out of that spot..Alex as all the intangables to be a successful qb in the NFL the #1 thing he has going for him is his smarts hes a celebral qb..he wont lose the game for u..he knows were to put the ball if he has to lead u or put the ball on the #s those are some of the intangables he has you just dont teach those things as far as arm strength thats something u can work on and improve..I would rather have a smart qb with the intangables to win games then a strong armed gunslinger without the smarts who will win some games but lose alot more..thats my take IM out

GrnMtnMan said:
The only way that I would be happy with taking Smith at 2 is if we put him out there starting for 16 games and suck while he learns and we continue to get top 8 picks to put pieces around him.

That is not something that I want to see. He may never even pan out. I could see if we took Smith and we needed a QB that badly then I would support drafiting him, but this offense already has enough handicaps. We don't need to add another with a rookie QB making big money and may turn out to be a bust. With that said it is a chance the Fins would need to take. The draft is merely a game of RISK.

Agent51 said:
screw the Jets too. I will ALWAYS be a diehard Dolphin fan. That doesn't mean I have to like all the players or agree with the coach. I survived the crappy DW years and his heartbreaking picks, I can do it again with Saban should he kill me by taking Smith, but you can be DAMN sure I'll never wear Smith's jersey.

Don't you think thats somewhat of an immature stance?

I mean Saban certainly hasn't messed enough up yet to warrant comparing him to the DW years?

You won't be able to say he did mess up by taking Smith until he actually flops, so why wouldn't you give him the benefit of the doubt at this point and see what happens?

If Smith becomes great it will be looked upon as a great pick whether you wear his jersey or not.

I will support whatever Decision Saban makes at this point and be happy, no matter if its Brown, Smith, Edwards or Williams, because until he proves otherwise, I will assume he knows better than me.

Agent51 said:
screw the Jets too. I will ALWAYS be a diehard Dolphin fan. That doesn't mean I have to like all the players or agree with the coach. I survived the crappy DW years and his heartbreaking picks, I can do it again with Saban should he kill me by taking Smith, but you can be DAMN sure I'll never wear Smith's jersey.

IF we pick Smith and IF we win a championship w/him you'll wear his damn jersey. :roflmao:

Have you guys seen where at least one scouting service says this guy isn't even a 1st round talent?

BlueFin said:
Don't you think thats somewhat of an immature stance?

I mean Saban certainly hasn't messed enough up yet to warrant comparing him to the DW years?

You won't be able to say he did mess up by taking Smith until he actually flops, so why wouldn't you give him the benefit of the doubt at this point and see what happens?

If Smith becomes great it will be looked upon as a great pick whether you wear his jersey or not.

I will support whatever Decision Saban makes at this point and be happy, no matter if its Brown, Smith, Edwards or Williams, because until he proves otherwise, I will assume he knows better than me.

I agree hear. If Saban takes Smith, I will still back him because he is my head coach. He may very well be the greatest QB ever when it is all said and done, but I just have a different preference in what we should do with our selection. I will be content with whomever Saban picks and trust that he makes the right decision no matter what.

Back
Top Bottom