Alex Smith Question: | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith Question:

Cool Calm Mike

Paint It Gold
Reaction score
Forgive me, I am not familiar with Alex Smith at all. I'm watching ESPN today, and Kiper, Clayton and that idiot Salisbury said Miami will pick him. I hear he is very smart, mobile and accurate.

Questions: People are comparing him to Chad Pennington. Does this mean he has a very weak arm?

And, he seems very skinny. Very tall and lanky. Will that be a problem for him?

Thank you.

He is extremely intelligent, he graduated after 3 years of college. The comparisons to Pennington are alittle off. They do have similar accuracy, but Smith has a stronger arm IMO and is much more athletic than Chad is.

I think Smith is more athletic than Chad also. I only saw Smith play a few times though so Im not sure accurate that comparison is

He's frail, skinny and I'm not sure about his strength. If we pick him, we better make damn sure our line isn't going to let anybody through the cracks.

Baz did say that when playing him, he used to laugh after getting hit though.

Smith does not have a rocket arm, but it is easily better than Pennington's. I see Pennington as a worst case scenario for what Smith will ultimately be. IMO Smith will be much better than that.

Alex Smith is what you get when you take a player with Joey Harrington's talent and body type and put Chad Pennington's mind into it.

He is a playmaker. Smith and Rodgers are both good leaders with smarts. Smith is more athletic IMO and Rodgers has the stronger arm.

I just think it important that Smith is better then what we have and is an upgrade at the QB position who has a great TD/INT ratio.

he threw 60+ yards (forget the actual number) dead-on in front of just about every team at his workout. "strong arm".....not Marino, Culpepper etc. (not lumping culpepper into "marino" category as far as greatness but the guy has a cannon) strength but not weak by any means. If he can hit 30-40 yard strikes on the money consistently.....that's strong enough for me.

KB21 said:
Alex Smith is what you get when you take a player with Joey Harrington's talent and body type and put Chad Pennington's mind into it.

And add in the fact theres no true #1. Matt's not in the draft, which means, every other QB's rise a couple of spots. If leinart (spelled wrong i know, you all know who I mean) was in the draft, rodgers and smith would be 2nd rounders. Teams are desperate, hopefully saban can take advantage of this.

If smith or rodgers ends up ending up the next dan marino, I will post a video of me, eating a boiling pair of shoes.

Tommatt said:
And add in the fact theres no true #1. Matt's not in the draft, which means, every other QB's rise a couple of spots. If leinart (spelled wrong i know, you all know who I mean) was in the draft, rodgers and smith would be 2nd rounders. Teams are desperate, hopefully saban can take advantage of this.

If smith or rodgers ends up ending up the next dan marino, I will post a video of me, eating a boiling pair of shoes.

I disagree with this. Scouts would have had all three in the first round but Smith would have ended up like around 15 cus you also have the 3 RB's and all the defensive guys who are being overlooked at the top spots cus of need. Smith would not be in the top spot if he did not have talent and all the intangibles. plain and simple.

Smith has the arm strength. Dont you worry. He also will have time to lift weights via tom Brady and build up those forearms.

KB21 said:

I think that is a GREAT assessment.

All this time I never realized that Smith was 20 freaking years old. My gosh, talk about investing in the future with a pick like that.

At 20 years old, Smith will get naturally stronger. When I was a sportswriter in college, John Robinson used to marvel how kids would fill out and get stronger between the bowl game and spring practice, or spring practice and fall practice. Especially in their 3rd or 4th years in the program. He used to say he wouldn't even recognize the body build sometimes.

Alex Smith still has that to look forward to. At 25 or thereabouts he should be a perfect specimen at the QB position, and still retain the speed and footwork.

I'm amazed how posters on this board routinely ridicule Chad Pennington. Alex Smith can only wish he masters the ball handling skills, accuracy and timing of a Chad Pennington. Pennington throws a prettier spiral than Smith, who will wobble one after another.

Back
Top Bottom