Alex Smith The Urban Legend | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith The Urban Legend

Ghetti13

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
I have only two of his games on tape. BYU and Pittsburgh. I have watched them about five times or more each.

All I can say is this. Smith does not have the physical attributes or polish that pretty much every Top 5 quarterback before him. However, maybe no player's intelligence has been more touted.

If Saban decides he is the player we should take at #2, I will be happy because I will know Saban did his due dilligence.

But, let me tell you, if he goes top five, he must be the most intellectually advanced and impressive quarterback to ever wear a helmet.

This is going to be interesting.

I think you don't see the polish or physical attributes because he ran an offensive scheme where he did not have to do everything. I think he does have the physical ability and will gain the polish after running a pro-style for a year.

djfresh47 said:
I think you don't see the polish or physical attributes because he ran an offensive scheme where he did not have to do everything. I think he does have the physical ability and will gain the polish after running a pro-style for a year.

Most everyone says it will take at least 3 years to develop Smith.. And I think thats with 2 years riding the bench, one year of experience.. then in his 4th year he should be decent.. Do you think Saban wants to wait that long?

If i remeber correctly, Rodgers only scored 1 point lower on the wonderlic than
Smith. Rodgers is a pretty smart guy too.

Ghetti13 said:
All I can say is this. Smith does not have the physical attributes or polish that pretty much every Top 5 quarterback before him.

Thankyou.

I think best case scenario as far as quaterbacks go for us is to trade down and maybe demand a first rounder next year and hope for the best that whoever we trade with does absolutely horrible and we get Leinart next year. Get the running back this year, Leinart next, and I'd say we're golden.

How many top 5 QBs were 20 years old?

Smith is a work in progress, no denying that. But he has the athletic ability, the smarts, the feet, the height, the frame. His arm is OK, maybe slightly above average. I thought he held the ball a bit low in college and his delivery was a bit longer than ideal.

M3590NJ973 said:
i heard that he did great on his wonderlic test (don't think that means much though)
the fact he graduated in 2 years means something... the kid has got brains.

It's also two years with an economics degree. I can't graduate in two years, because some of my chemical engineering classes are only offered once a year, and they all have pre-requisites. However, I'm already considered a senior(credit wise) after two years. Getting a degree in business/economics/communication in two years isn't that big of a feat. It happens quite often actually.

Smith is really smart, he had a 3.8 GPA and got his bachlor's degree in two years, I would agrue that he is the smartest player to ever play football

The bachelor's in two years for his program of study isn't that big of a deal, as I said. There is a reason that those degree by mail services offer public accounting as one of thier programs. That could contribute to the 3.8 GPA. Considering he played football too, the 3.8 is fairly impressive, but not the 2 year sfor his degree. If I would have majored in accounting I would have been done one year after I graduated high school, because I had 48 credits already done coming out of high school. His bachelor's in 2 years isn't that big of a deal. You didn't see any of us jumping all over Craig Krenzel, even though he led an undefeated team, and his major was considerably harder than accounting(can't remmember what it was, but it is certainly harder). And no way Smith is the smartest player to ever play football, hell Fitzpatrick is probably smarter, and he's going to come out of the same draft. And I'm only looking at pro-football, even though it was said "to ever play football."

Re-reading my last post I realized I mentioned accounting, even though Smith's major is economics I believe. That doesn't change my opinion about him not being the "smartest player in football, ever." However, I will admit economics is slightly harder then accounting. But either way, his degree in 2 years isn't a big deal, I could've done it in 1 year(But I'm not being raved about by some people on here, simply because I'm smart and play football).

Graduating in 2 years is a pretty big deal for a football players, with a 3.8, in economics.

Back
Top Bottom