Alex Smith to meet with Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith to meet with Dolphins

Well see this confuses me a bit. This is our current setup:

Feeley
Frerotte
Rosenfels

Arguably, the top two positions are debatable.

Now drafting smith would mean firing one or two QBs, which QB(s) would go? Obviously, you can't keep the drafts 2nd pick away from the 1st or 2nd slots on the roster, and we can't have that many start able Qbs on our bench. So it would look like this:

Frerotte
Smith
Rosenfels

We wouldn't want to keep Feeley, because his salary is hardly 3rd stringer salary, and if Smith needs a teacher, Frerotte would be best, because he knows the offense and can run it the first season. Another setup would be:

Feeley
Smith
Rosenfels

Advantage here would be that you could crank up Feeleys value, and trade him after this season, maybe even for the 2nd round pick we used. Depending on how Feeley plays, this would also justify playing Smith midseason. Or the last, and unlikely:

Smith
Rosenfels
?

This would obviously be the cheap solution, but it would also conflict with Sabans wish to make an impact right away. Personally, I think it's a charming option, because if you keep a rookie on the bench for the first year, he will still be a rookie during his second. Probleme here is also lack of veteran leadership and guidence.

Feeley
Frerotte
Smith.

Smith would ride the pine for a year, and start from next year on. Sage has a one year deal that would make him easy to release. AJ is due a huge roster bonus next year that he probably won't deserve. It is also pheasible that we carry 4 QBs, though unlikely.

I'm just not sold on Smith. Sure he has some good measurables, so did Ryan Leaf. Cry me a river.

I'd rather take Ronnie Brown. He can make an instant impact. Would Smith even start? I think Saban is the kind of guy who will go in to opening day prepared. Unlike Wanny who last year was switching Quarterbacks like 8-track mixtapes. That's not being competitive, that's staying alive. Barely.

We need to make an impact. If we're drafting a QB, sure, Walter, Orlovsky, Greene, Fitzpatrick, somebody like that in the latter but this is number two.

And obviously Saban is not 100% SOLD if he is shopping the pick.

finsnchips said:
Feeley
Frerotte
Smith.

Smith would ride the pine for a year, and start from next year on. Sage has a one year deal that would make him easy to release. AJ is due a huge roster bonus next year that he probably won't deserve. It is also pheasible that we carry 4 QBs, though unlikely.

Yea, but this setup has some problem imo.
1. A lot of money put into one position. Economically this is not very sound, considering you'll most likely not use all 3 QBs enough to justify their pay.
2. Smith would get NO experience what so ever. If he's riding 3rd, he would be practising with the backups, and not the first team. If he was to start next year, we would be starting someone in worse shape than he was the year before.
3. Putting a #2nd pick at the 3rd spot would be a catstrophe. First round picks either start or backup.

touborg said:
Yea, but this setup has some problem imo.
1. A lot of money put into one position. Economically this is not very sound, considering you'll most likely not use all 3 QBs enough to justify their pay.
2. Smith would get NO experience what so ever. If he's riding 3rd, he would be practising with the backups, and not the first team. If he was to start next year, we would be starting someone in worse shape than he was the year before.
3. Putting a #2nd pick at the 3rd spot would be a catstrophe. First round picks either start or backup.
You've got to let a QB develop... Carson Palmer will be so much better because he sat for the year behind Kitna and didn't have to worry about playing, all he had to do was learn the playbook.

It would be even better for Smith, because Feeley could play, whilst Frerotte, who knows the system backwards, can tutor him.

I would rather Mike Williams or Ronnie Brown, but would also be delighted if we drafted Smith.

You've got to let a QB develop... Carson Palmer will be so much better because he sat for the year behind Kitna and didn't have to worry about playing, all he had to do was learn the playbook.

Yes but he wouldn't be sitting behind "kitna" in this setup. He would be the 3rd QB, which means he wouldn't get reps with the first team (who he would be playing with next year), the chances of him getting game time would be minimal, and apart from learning the play book, he would come out more rusty next year. Again, the econmics would not be sound.

finsnchips said:
It would be even better for Smith, because Feeley could play, whilst Frerotte, who knows the system backwards, can tutor him.

I would rather Mike Williams or Ronnie Brown, but would also be delighted if we drafted Smith.

So we'd be drafting a little Gus Jr :roflmao:

Ronnie B 2005!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

finsnchips said:
Team to meet Utah's Smith

Utah quarterback Alex Smith, who Dolphins coach Nick Saban personally watched during Smith's workout last month in Salt Lake City, is scheduled to meet with the Dolphins for two days next week.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/11331970.htm

Guess that means we are going to draft him. :rolleyes:

I believe it is up to cleveland. We can drop one spot and let them draft one of the remaining qbs. They NEED a QB. Dilfer is only a one year fix. They just signed R droughns so that eliminates brown. That leaves only B edward for them to select. Yes he would be a good third but they really need a qb.

HelloMotto said:
I believe it is up to cleveland. We can drop one spot and let them draft one of the remaining qbs. They NEED a QB. Dilfer is only a one year fix. They just signed R droughns so that eliminates brown. That leaves only B edward for them to select. Yes he would be a good third but they really need a qb.
I think we are smoke screening with Smith in the hope that we can trade with Cleveland and pick up their second, we might even do it for their third, at the end of the day if we are targeting Ronnie and can still get him along with an extra pick I think Saban will jump all over it.

Plus their is a contract difference between 2 and 3 which I'm sure Saban is aware about.

I love how we brought Blackstock, White, Jackson and Pool for private sessions. It shows that we want to draft those positions in the draft. I don't really want another linebacker through the draft but I'm very high on Blackstock.

Dolfan2788 said:
I love how we brought Blackstock, White, Jackson and Pool for private sessions. It shows that we want to draft those positions in the draft. I don't really want another linebacker through the draft but I'm very high on Blackstock.
I, too, like Blackstock, I also rate both of the OU safeties: Pool and Nicholson.

Another guy I like who is sinking on draft boards like the Titanic is Antajj Hawthorne. Prior to the season, i.e. last June, he was rated as a top 10-15 draft pick, and a very heralded DT, now he is a mid 2nd rounder.

Back
Top Bottom