Alex Smith vs Ryan Tannehill

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jbyrd850, Jan 6, 2018.

1. jbyrd850

jbyrd850 Rookie

I ask because Alex Smith is going to be available. He's no world beater in my opinion but he's been pretty solid for a guy that is gonna get shopped around and replaced by basically a rookie.

In my made up scenario here, he's cut by KC so we don't have to trade anything for him. Also in my made up scenario the Dolphins can cut Ryan Tannehill with no cap hit.

Basically a straight up "who would you rather" have as the starting quarterback of the team, given a choice between these two guys.

Ryan Tannehill or Alex Smith?

2. DisturbedShifty

DisturbedShifty Shifty Gold Administrator Finheaven VIP

Welp. It's officially the off season.

3. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

Alex Smith can go anywhere just keep him out of Miami.

maralieus, Vaark and royalshank like this.
  4. joenhre

joenhre Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

I will stick with Tannehill. How about those Chiefs though. Choke at home vs the Titans. So the Patriots will face some cupcake team in the 1st playoff game in either the Titans or Bills. I thought the Chiefs would have had a shot against the Patriots. Of course probably not since they couldn't even handle the Titans.

5. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I understand it is just a scenerio you made up, but why would the Chiefs cut a qb coming off what should have been a Pro Bowl season instead of trading him if they wanted to move on? Don't you figure they could at the very least get a late draft pick for him?

Ray R likes this.
  6. kingfin23

kingfin23 This is the Year

Tannehill

Ray R likes this.
  7. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

Is there a difference? We win the same amount of games with either one.

gunn34 likes this.
  8. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I believe KC would take a huge cap hit if they just cut him. They would have to trade him and I doubt anyone is going to trade for that contract at his age. For sure I hope we won't. His contract counts just over 20mill

Ozzy rules!!

9. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

I think Denver or Arizona trades for Alex Smith

canadian fish fan likes this.
  10. daryl

daryl Well-Known Member Donator

The fans want Andy Reid gone. Too many 10-6/11-5 seasons with no playoff success to show for it. I wish the Dolphins had that "problem."

RVAPhinFan13, Ray R, dolpns13 and 5 others like this.
  11. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

Well what's better to go 7-9/8-8 for 9 years and have 1 11-5 season in which you win a Super Bowl or 10 to 15 seasons of 10-6/11-5 but no super bowls.

Give me the 1 super bowl and 9 years of mediocrity, i have to assume 10-6 and 11-5 and no playoff success becomes tiresome.

12. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Miami used to have that problem 1997-2001

Ben Had likes this.
  13. gregorygrant83

Goes to show fans will always be somewhat disappointed.

5- 11 teams have fans upset their team isn't at least 8-8 and somewhat competitive.
    8-8 teams have fans upset their team isn't a 10 win and playoff team.
    10-6 teams that get get bounced early in the playoffs have fans upset they can't win come January.
    Teams that win 12 wins consistently but don't win the Super Bowl have fans upset that great team chokes when it comes to winning it all.

So t's either win it all or a portion of the fan base will be calling for your head.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Jimi, Ray R, BSQ and 7 others like this.
  14. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator

Dolphins passed on Brees (2x), Rodgers, Smith, Ryan, Wilson, Prescott,... gonna be sick... and now they're banking on 30y/2x ACL'd Tannehill.

Butt-ler's gone. Moore's over. Fales.. meh.

finish the last year of Tannehill, gimme a year of "Alex on deck", and draft Baker Mayfield like i been sayin.

Elle Clouds likes this.
  15. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Moderator Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Could be Denver but I think if he is available they will make a run at Cousins.

16. gregorygrant83

Still say it's one ACL that never fully healed instead of two injuries.

Acrunch, Dbest, EvilDylan and 2 others like this.
  17. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Alex Smith is no better than Tannehill. He's just a middling QB.

jbyrd850 likes this.
  18. gregorygrant83

Neither Smith or Tannehill are future Hall of Fame candidates, but both can win games if other players around them are somewhat compitent. I've always said Tannehill's ceiling is a hybrid of Alex Smith and Phillip Rivers. If you have a qb that's half Smith and half Rivers you should have a shot.

miami365 and jbyrd850 like this.
  19. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Moderator Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

I just want to see if Ryan gets a starting caliber TE what can this offense do.

Albert Romano and jbyrd850 like this.
  20. volk

volk Seasoned Veteran

You know Tannehill has only a single ACL injury, right? The injury was never repaired and simply finished its tear. It’s not two separate injuries. Regardless, in no way would I be in favor of Alex Smith. At his best, he and Tannehill are a wash, and frankly, Tannehill last year showed he could be a better QB than Smith. As to Mayfield, I admit I only saw the bowl game, but he folded like a cheap suit under pressure. If that game is indicative of the player he is, he will be a bust at the NFL level.

67Stang and EvilDylan like this.
  21. Fin Fan in Cali

I don't know if all that finish was on Mayfield or a conservative offense being called at the end of the game, or both.

22. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

OMFG

MarxBrother likes this.
  23. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

If you need a top TE, great WRs, RBs and a good o-line for your QB to become good then you need a better QB.

Elle Clouds and jbyrd850 like this.
  24. gregorygrant83

I want a 50 reception tight end and a 50 reception back. That puts a lot of stress on defenses if you have Gates and Sproles like combo on your offense. Draft Hayden Hurst and Mark Walton (there are better options but might not be realistic) and sign Carlos Hyde and Crockett GIlmore. TIght ends and back issues solved , especially running back corp of Drake, Hyde, Walton and maybe Jarvion Franklin as an udfa or 7th round pick. That would be one of the best running back groups in franchise history.

Fin Fan in Cali likes this.
  25. Fin Fan in Cali

I didn't say that. I was just saying he needs a true TE in this offense. The last one we had was Clay. It will be interesting how this year turns out. If it works well it the team and coaches stay together. If not there will be lots of changes.

Albert Romano likes this.
  26. phinfan3411

phinfan3411 pofo mofo

Alex Smith is the 19th highest paid QB at 17 million/yr. So, he is NOT overpaid. He would have many suiters if he was available.

His offense is the 6th highest scoring in the NFL and he doesn't turn the ball over. I'm not sure what the normal fan thinks about some "magical power" the QB supposedly has. You can ask your QB to put points on the board and not to turn the ball over, not sure what else they can do. I thought Smith played very well tonight, definitely some dropped passes, wasn't his fault.

I will say the same thing about Tannehill as I've said since we drafted him. I think he could be (now is) good with the right chance and coaching. The Dolphins will not be good until we start making smart personnel moves and that absolutely has not happened. Tannehill is not holding this team back.

FinaticalFinfan likes this.
  27. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

Think about Ryans best offensive weapons he has had...bet he would love to have had Kelce. Look how that game changed after he left?

28. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Tannehill partially tore his ACL and MCL vs Arizona. He tried to let it heal via stem cells and rehab. He then tore the same ACL in camp. So basically he had a partial tear and then a complete tear. So he injured his ACL twice but he's only completely tore it once...for those that seem to be confused on this.

Ray R likes this.
  29. Ren

Ren Rookie

[​IMG]

jbyrd850 likes this.
  30. royalshank

royalshank Not a Game-Changer Finheaven VIP Donator

Never been a Smith fan. Yes his teams win and make the playoffs. I just don’t think he can win a SB. Either did Harbaugh all those years ago when he pulled the plug for Crappernick and it almost worked. He knew there was no point making that run w Alex.

31. volk

volk Seasoned Veteran

We will just have to disagree on this. To me, moving from a partially to fully torn ligament is a single injury, as no surgery was performed in between and the original injury had never healed.

Acrunch likes this.
  32. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

I think they are about the same tier of QB. Smith is more ceribal and calculated but Tannehill can make the tough throw. I think we are the same team with Alex Smith. I just hope we aren't delaying the invetbale with Tannehill. I still worry if Tannehill can come up big in important games. We've seen it a couple times but not enough if we want to consistently make the playoffs and win a superbowl. I fear that Tannehill needs an amazing supporting cast of key players to really make a run. Like Smith had this season will hunt, Kelce and Hill. And we saw what happened to the chiefs after Kelce went down, that offense was anemic. Makes you wonder if same thing would have happened to Tannehill. Alex Smith struggled to win a post season game with Kansas City, just like Andy Dalton. Is Tannehill the same type of QB? Guess we will have to wait to find out.

gunn34 likes this.
  33. jbyrd850

jbyrd850 Rookie

Figured most on here would prefer Tannehill.

I wish this front office was trying to upgrade the position like KCs. KC wins games all those games and they are still willing to change it up at qb.

We will continue to be average at best and trot lord Tannehill out there happily.

34. jbyrd850

jbyrd850 Rookie

I don't even think Alex Smith is that great but it's hilarious to me that people think Tannehill is actually better.

Wake me up when Ryan Tannehill puts up these numbers 4000 yards, 26tds, 5ints, over a 5:1 td to int ratio and a passer rating over 100. YOU WILL NEVER WAKE ME lol, Tannehill will never do that.

35. Fin Fan in Cali

Bro they have a young QB they drafted last year sitting in the wings. We have Fales waiting in the wings now. So if we upgraded the QB spot as you are insisting then these are the priorities in the draft QB, DE, LB, TE, and WR depending what happens with Landry. That's a lot of groceries to get in a draft.

Also maybe RB.

36. volk

volk Seasoned Veteran

It really wasn’t the finish that concerned me, it was how the guy handled pressure in the pocket. The slightest bit of pressure and he just shut down. That, along with his poor attitude and sideline antics showed me he is a me first player who lacks mental toughness. Just don’t see him making it in the NFL.

Fin Fan in Cali likes this.
  37. MarxBrother

MarxBrother FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Agreed

38. jbyrd850

jbyrd850 Rookie

I'm actually not all about drafting a qb, I'd prefer to draft best player available. If we had been doing that the past decade we might actually have some good players on this roster.

At the same time though, qb is the most important position in sports and I'm of the opinion that we will never win with Tannehill.

Worst thing this franchise has done is continually been mediocre. I'd easily trade our last 5 seasons with the jags of it meant I got to have that roster moving forward.

Look up and down our roster, Tannehill definitely isn't taking this team far. By the time you build up the roster enough for Tannehill to go deep into the playoffs he will be 40.

If best player available is a qb, you take him.

johngarry likes this.
  39. jbyrd850

jbyrd850 Rookie

Don't get your feelings hurt because your quarterback sucks and will never get to the playoffs

40. Fin Fan in Cali

I believe we can win with Ryan. What this team has failed to do is drafting talent so that we have depth on this team. The last draft or two has gotten better, however we should be drafting a QB this year to develop and next year to build depth as we have nothing in depth at the QB position.