Alex Smith vs Ryan Tannehill | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith vs Ryan Tannehill

Dolphins passed on Brees (2x), Rodgers, Smith, Ryan, Wilson, Prescott,... gonna be sick... and now they're banking on 30y/2x ACL'd Tannehill.

Butt-ler's gone. Moore's over. Fales.. meh.

finish the last year of Tannehill, gimme a year of "Alex on deck", and draft Baker Mayfield like i been sayin.

Still say it's one ACL that never fully healed instead of two injuries.

Neither Smith or Tannehill are future Hall of Fame candidates, but both can win games if other players around them are somewhat compitent. I've always said Tannehill's ceiling is a hybrid of Alex Smith and Phillip Rivers. If you have a qb that's half Smith and half Rivers you should have a shot.

Dolphins passed on Brees (2x), Rodgers, Smith, Ryan, Wilson, Prescott,... gonna be sick... and now they're banking on 30y/2x ACL'd Tannehill.

Butt-ler's gone. Moore's over. Fales.. meh.

finish the last year of Tannehill, gimme a year of "Alex on deck", and draft Baker Mayfield like i been sayin.

You know Tannehill has only a single ACL injury, right? The injury was never repaired and simply finished its tear. It’s not two separate injuries. Regardless, in no way would I be in favor of Alex Smith. At his best, he and Tannehill are a wash, and frankly, Tannehill last year showed he could be a better QB than Smith. As to Mayfield, I admit I only saw the bowl game, but he folded like a cheap suit under pressure. If that game is indicative of the player he is, he will be a bust at the NFL level.

You know Tannehill has only a single ACL injury, right? The injury was never repaired and simply finished its tear. It’s not two separate injuries. Regardless, in no way would I be in favor of Alex Smith. At his best, he and Tannehill are a wash, and frankly, Tannehill last year showed he could be a better QB than Smith. As to Mayfield, I admit I only saw the bowl game, but he folded like a cheap suit under pressure. If that game is indicative of the player he is, he will be a bust at the NFL level.
I don't know if all that finish was on Mayfield or a conservative offense being called at the end of the game, or both.

I just want to see if Ryan gets a starting caliber TE what can this offense do.

I want a 50 reception tight end and a 50 reception back. That puts a lot of stress on defenses if you have Gates and Sproles like combo on your offense. Draft Hayden Hurst and Mark Walton (there are better options but might not be realistic) and sign Carlos Hyde and Crockett GIlmore. TIght ends and back issues solved , especially running back corp of Drake, Hyde, Walton and maybe Jarvion Franklin as an udfa or 7th round pick. That would be one of the best running back groups in franchise history.

Last edited:
If you need a top TE, great WRs, RBs and a good o-line for your QB to become good then you need a better QB.
I didn't say that. I was just saying he needs a true TE in this offense. The last one we had was Clay. It will be interesting how this year turns out. If it works well it the team and coaches stay together. If not there will be lots of changes.

Alex Smith is the 19th highest paid QB at 17 million/yr. So, he is NOT overpaid. He would have many suiters if he was available.

His offense is the 6th highest scoring in the NFL and he doesn't turn the ball over. I'm not sure what the normal fan thinks about some "magical power" the QB supposedly has. You can ask your QB to put points on the board and not to turn the ball over, not sure what else they can do. I thought Smith played very well tonight, definitely some dropped passes, wasn't his fault.

I will say the same thing about Tannehill as I've said since we drafted him. I think he could be (now is) good with the right chance and coaching. The Dolphins will not be good until we start making smart personnel moves and that absolutely has not happened. Tannehill is not holding this team back.

Tannehill partially tore his ACL and MCL vs Arizona. He tried to let it heal via stem cells and rehab. He then tore the same ACL in camp. So basically he had a partial tear and then a complete tear. So he injured his ACL twice but he's only completely tore it once...for those that seem to be confused on this.

I ask because Alex Smith is going to be available. He's no world beater in my opinion but he's been pretty solid for a guy that is gonna get shopped around and replaced by basically a rookie.

In my made up scenario here, he's cut by KC so we don't have to trade anything for him. Also in my made up scenario the Dolphins can cut Ryan Tannehill with no cap hit.

Basically a straight up "who would you rather" have as the starting quarterback of the team, given a choice between these two guys.

Ryan Tannehill or Alex Smith?
How+could+you+possibly+upload+this+and+then+forget+to+_cfad5ad4a3db1508783d153b8d975967.jpg

Never been a Smith fan. Yes his teams win and make the playoffs. I just don’t think he can win a SB. Either did Harbaugh all those years ago when he pulled the plug for Crappernick and it almost worked. He knew there was no point making that run w Alex.

Back
Top Bottom