Alex Smith vs Ryan Tannehill | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith vs Ryan Tannehill

Tannehill is actually the perfect qb for the Dolphins. The worst thing you want to be in the NFL is to be average, you either want to be going to the playoffs every year or bad enough to get some real blue chip talent. This team does neither, stays right in the middle. Tannehill is the exact same, he won't ever be a pro bowler but he doesn't suck bad enough to where you just say "we gotta move on" he just lulls you to sleep with 5 wasted seasons of mediocrity.

Precisely. I noticed that Dave Hyde in his most recent column emphasized the trend that I posted a month or two, that the Dolphins are the only team in the league to win between 6 and 10 games every season since 2009.

The Crowd danger was obvious with Ryan Tannehill. He had to be avoided at all costs. It reminds me of that original Star Trek episode, where Spock said starkly to Kirk, "Edith Keeler must die."

I wish someone in the organization pre draft in 2012 would have been sharp enough to identify Ryan Tannehill as exactly the type of quarterback who would do just enough to tease every year. He looks the part. The tape guys are going to be fooled. But when you don't start a collegiate season opener at quarterback until beyond your 23rd birthday, something vital is missing. The temptation to draft a low percentage type like that needed to die in that draft room. I might have deemed it amusing 30 years ago but in my late 50s it is beyond maddening.

Who knows what we would have done without Tannehill? Maybe some awful choices at quarterback. Who cares? Try again. It could not have been less entertaining than what we've experienced...the annual insistence to keep waiting. The years drip away and mostly blend.

After my original YouTube channel was zapped a few years ago due to copyright complaints and I finally decided to start another one, I named it in honor of Tannehill. I am now called Wasted Century.

I guess it only seems that way.

I understand it is just a scenerio you made up, but why would the Chiefs cut a qb coming off what should have been a Pro Bowl season instead of trading him if they wanted to move on? Don't you figure they could at the very least get a late draft pick for him?

Actually there were lots of reports before the game saying that unless the Chiefs won the Super Bowl the team wouldn't actively try to trade him but they would entertain offers. It sounds like they're ready to start the Mahomes era here pretty soon.

Huh? Alex Smith right now is an average to maybe slightly above average QB, a middle tier QB. He's been that for a while now and this year does not change that. It may have taken him 12 years to have his career year but he's still considered a slightly above average QB. I would never want to replace Smith for Tanny....they are both in the same tier there would be no point.

How do you know they are in the same tier? If Tannehill had 9 years with a good HC and a team surrounding him as good as KC, don’t you think he would have better results than what he has had here in Miami?

Never been a Smith fan. Yes his teams win and make the playoffs. I just don’t think he can win a SB. Either did Harbaugh all those years ago when he pulled the plug for Crappernick and it almost worked. He knew there was no point making that run w Alex.

Almost won a SB is the same thing as didn't win a SB. Picking Kaep over Smith was a incredibly stupid move and set back that franchise for several years.

Almost won a SB is the same thing as didn't win a SB. Picking Kaep over Smith was a incredibly stupid move and set back that franchise for several years.
I disagree w this. He was going for gold for that one year. Kap ran the read option and the league hadn’t figured it out yet. With Smith they don’t even get to that game. Smith doesn’t make plays. Kaep did that season and Harbaugh rode that horse.

Funny, I was just on Chief's Planet and the hatred for Smith is almost universal (one poster wished AIDS on him even). Not that they're thrilled with Andy either, but they know they're stuck with him for a few more years.

Some pretty funny reads if you're interested, on there.. but to answer your question, Tannehill has upside, Smith is exactly who he's gonna be 2 years from now .. so thanks but no thanks

oh,and many of them think they're gonna get a 2 for him from Cleveland, Denver or AZ.. so if they're right, that means actually giving KC something of value. **** that!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=312936
Bingo

The OP smacks of the "grass is greener on the other side" syndrome.

How do we know Tannehill isn't good enough? Because there is so much debate about it. Just the fact of this existence proves the question. Tannehill was drafted by people who felt they could mold him into what they wanted, RT is just clay in their hands. Because of his mediocrity he is also clay in your minds, picking stats and situations, adding other players or taking them away to make believe Tannehill is what you want him to be so bad. Your egos are no different than those that drafted him to shape him in the first place. It is unfortunate the lack of self awareness and conceit.

Dolphins passed on Brees (2x), Rodgers, Smith, Ryan, Wilson, Prescott,... gonna be sick... and now they're banking on 30y/2x ACL'd Tannehill.

Butt-ler's gone. Moore's over. Fales.. meh.

finish the last year of Tannehill, gimme a year of "Alex on deck", and draft Baker Mayfield like i been sayin.

Nope, by your own logic, Alex Smith twice dislocated his same shoulder twice in three weeks. Note that by your criterion, these are two separate injuries. He's waaaaaaaaaaay too injury prone. Pass.

I ask because Alex Smith is going to be available. He's no world beater in my opinion but he's been pretty solid for a guy that is gonna get shopped around and replaced by basically a rookie.

In my made up scenario here, he's cut by KC so we don't have to trade anything for him. Also in my made up scenario the Dolphins can cut Ryan Tannehill with no cap hit.

Basically a straight up "who would you rather" have as the starting quarterback of the team, given a choice between these two guys.

Ryan Tannehill or Alex Smith?

Please. I know you’re a newbie on this board, but please give it a rest. I need to go read something really intellectual now because my IQ just went down after reading this post. When are we EVER gonna learn that other teams cast offs will not be all stars in Miami? If we want great players or great QBs we need to draft them. RT is a talented QB—plenty good enough to lead Miami into the playoffs but we need to draft his replacement.

Last edited:
The fans want Andy Reid gone. Too many 10-6/11-5 seasons with no playoff success to show for it. I wish the Dolphins had that "problem."
KC fans are crazy.....Reid takes a team like that and consistently have them in the playoffs, they should try being Dolphins fans........fans will be fans I guess.

J. Cutler,A. Smith, C. Pennington , J. Fiedler, etc. are not the answer imo. They have weaknesses that hamper a team too much in big games. The only way they thrive is with a super stellar defense and it is usually still too much to overcome. Its like we have to go uphill in the snow and we feel like we can take our shoes off on top of it. Why make things harder?

Do you guys think Chiefs fans would take Tannehill over Smith? What teams fans do you think would actually want/trade what they have for Tannehill?

I don't think it would be very many and even maybe 0. Just saying

No because the Chiefs were smart enough to draft their future QB last year while they had had Alex Smith. Anyone that doesn’t see how important it is for us to draft our future QB THIS year needs their head examined.

This is a total no-brainer. Sign Smith, cut Tannehill and drat a QB.

Darn old, Rosen and Allen will probably be long gone. If Mayfield is on the board get him. If not, perhaps trade down and draft Jackson.

Back
Top Bottom