Alex Smith vs Ryan Tannehill | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith vs Ryan Tannehill

You know Tannehill has only a single ACL injury, right? The injury was never repaired and simply finished its tear. It’s not two separate injuries. Regardless, in no way would I be in favor of Alex Smith. At his best, he and Tannehill are a wash, and frankly, Tannehill last year showed he could be a better QB than Smith. As to Mayfield, I admit I only saw the bowl game, but he folded like a cheap suit under pressure. If that game is indicative of the player he is, he will be a bust at the NFL level.
Go watch more than one game.

The fans want Andy Reid gone. Too many 10-6/11-5 seasons with no playoff success to show for it. I wish the Dolphins had that "problem."
We had that problem in the 80s and 90s. Our fans were tired of it as well and many times I heard "oh I wish we would suck for a year or two and draft high."

How did that work out - 20 years later?

Amazing to me that people still don't recognize that Andy Reid's system makes he QB not the other way around. AJ Feeley trade should have taught most that lesson.

Smith is certainly more proven but you kind of know you aren't getting "special" from him. It has all gotta go right. That said I don't fault him for the Chiefs loss. Injuries on both sides of the ball and dropped passes did them in.

At least with Ryan you still don't know how high that ceiling is and how special he can be. Now That isn't the most enticing thing knowing he is 30 and coming off back to back knee injuries, not going to take a real NFL snap in 21 months . . . But I would much rather roll the dice on him than a steadier, lower ceiling Alex Smith.

Utterly freaking baffling.

There is nobody to sign out there who is a guaranteed upgrade over Ryan Tannehill. It's like half of the fan base forgets how he was coming on before his knee injury.

Want to draft the QB of the future? I'm on board. But replacing Tannehill with a free agent is at best a lateral move.

One last comment I don't see us going from a 30 year old QB to a 33 year old QB and calling that an upgrade. I think it was extremely hard for Ryan to be on the side lines this year. You could see it in his face that he wanted to be out there so bad with his team. Let's draft a young QB in the draft to groom and backup Ryan. I am really anxious to see Ryan back on the field.
You don't draft backups on purpose. That's a waste of a pick.

Yep.

And like it or not, Gase is all in on Ryan so while the idea of just cutting ties with Ryan and having Gase select one of these young guys sounds enticing to some . . . Gase already has his QB and there is no quarterback out there in his mind that is more capable at running his offense in 2018 than Ryan Tannehill.

If a QB is drafted first round, the knee had a setback.

Bro I wasn't saying be a permanent back up behind Ryan. How do we get depth at the QB spot if we don't draft one? We need to start developing are own talent rather thinking free agency is the way to solve our problems.

Last edited:
LOL what. King choker himself, Alex Smith? That’s a hard pass.

Dolphins passed on Brees (2x), Rodgers, Smith, Ryan, Wilson, Prescott,... gonna be sick... and now they're banking on 30y/2x ACL'd Tannehill.

Butt-ler's gone. Moore's over. Fales.. meh.

finish the last year of Tannehill, gimme a year of "Alex on deck", and draft Baker Mayfield like i been sayin.

2x acl is a lie. Give it up.

I've watched MANY more games where RT has struggled than where Alex Smith has struggled.

I would NOT want to sign him here. He is much smarter than RT, he makes better decisions and is UNQUESTIONABLY a more productive QB than RT.

RT is not the answer, neither is Smith with this team and coaching staff.

I get that there are plenty of fans of RT, I DON'T get how they have this special brand of selective memory where all they remember are the games where we win.

Just like they remember games that we just BARELY win as blowouts.

The Dolphins need to draft 1-2 qbs and DEVELOP them.

Structurally a surgically repaired ACL is much stronger then one that wasn't. That's a key difference. Whoever suggested to him stem cells instead of surgery should be fired.

Yeah, no kidding. The point is that according to "the Man" himself and his physicians the knee was healed. So it was, in fact, two ACL injuries.

Back
Top Bottom