Alex Smith vs Ryan Tannehill | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith vs Ryan Tannehill

Aren't NFL QBs paid to win games? Have you ever noticed beyond that stat sheet that some lean more toward being winners while other lean toward suckage and being a loser?

This is evident in the fourth quarter of NFL games when losers lose and winners win.

While Alex Smiths career stats dwarf Ryan Tannehill's, perhaps it's time we looked at their win loss records.

Smith: 88-62-1
Tannehill: 37-40

Some here draw the parallel that Tannehill is following the Smith career arc and will "figure it out."

While I do not advocate trading for Smith, right now Smith is the better QB. How much longer can we continue to bank on Tannehill turning into top tier?

I for one say Tannehill is a loser.

How do you know they are in the same tier? If Tannehill had 9 years with a good HC and a team surrounding him as good as KC, don’t you think he would have better results than what he has had here in Miami?

If he was surrounded by KC's talent do I think he would have better results? Yes i do, the same results as Alex Smith which means they both need the same thing to succeed. You look at someone like Luck who at times has had it worse than Tannehill and still managed 11-5 win seasons in a less than ideal situations.

I disagree w this. He was going for gold for that one year. Kap ran the read option and the league hadn’t figured it out yet. With Smith they don’t even get to that game. Smith doesn’t make plays. Kaep did that season and Harbaugh rode that horse.

(A) You have no idea what would have happened (B) Still failed to win (which was the goal) and set the franchise back. I would be pissed if I were a 49ers fan. Kaep sucks and is out of the league. Poor decision.

You look at someone like Luck who at times has had it worse than Tannehill and still managed 11-5 win seasons in a less than ideal situations.

(A) disagree that he had it worse
(B) They played different schedules in different divisions. Take a look at Luck's record against NE. They win zero division titles and fewer games if they are in the AFCE.

(A) You have no idea what would have happened (B) Still failed to win (which was the goal) and set the franchise back. I would be pissed if I were a 49ers fan. Kaep sucks and is out of the league. Poor decision.
Well I supposed I’d prefer to get to the SB and come one throw short of winning it then perpetually get knocked out of the playoffs early. Smith doesn’t get chunk plays - Kaep did during that run. I can’t stand Kaep the player or the person but I know what I saw during that season. He played great and he played better than Alex. That’s why he took the job from him while the team was already in 1st place. Not an Alex Smith fan - he’s painfully mediocre. That 4th down throw last night was a horrible decision. He’s right there w Dalton and Palmer IMO as guys that can put up numbers but aren’t going to elevate. Look at Mariota - stats on him were bad this year but no denying he carried his team on his back yesterday in that win. Smith can’t do that. I prefer a QB that doesn’t have to do that all the time, but when called upon can deliver and help you steal one. We’ll see if Ryan can be that guy for us - I believe it’s important because the days of mediocre QBs leading good teams to championships (Johnson, Dilfer, Simms etc) appear to be long gone. Be able to elevate your play or go home at the QB position.

Yep.

And like it or not, Gase is all in on Ryan so while the idea of just cutting ties with Ryan and having Gase select one of these young guys sounds enticing to some . . . Gase already has his QB and there is no quarterback out there in his mind that is more capable at running his offense in 2018 than Ryan Tannehill.

If a QB is drafted first round, the knee had a setback.
Making a lateral move like Smith vs Tannehill is stupid anyways. It may benefit Tannehill because often in the NFL after a QB is moved from his first team the second go-around is the better one but for us it would be a wash at best.

I personally don't care if Gase is all in with Tannehill. He'll be attaching his career to Tannehill's success then. Right now Gase is a coach I can pick on the street corner. Tod Bowles with the jets went 10-6 in his first year as well and then followed that up with two 5-11 seasons. Right now Gase is not special. As a matter of fact this year has shown a disturbing trend with him. With last year's excitement I completely overlooked the fact that he went all out with Foster last year. And if not for Foster's injury we would never have seen JTrain. But I could overlook that gaffe. This year though if not for JTrain being traded and Williams getting hurt we would have never seen Drake. For an offensive minded head coach how can you miss throughout training camp, pre-season and literally the entire season a talent like Drake?
Grant? In one of his interviews he stated that they had seen Grant in practice and how fast he is and how he can catch he ball yadayadayada. To the question why Grant hasn't been inserted earlier in the season his answer was: "I don't really know"
You are the frigging headcoach. How do you not know?

Cutler/Moore: I also bought into that "Cutler was the right decision because Gase knew him, Cutler knew the offense" etc. But if you keep Moore why not trust him? There is always a drop off from starter to backup but you must trust Moore to keep us somewhat going otherwise why keep him on the roster. Instead you throw him to the wolves in two of our toughest away games with no practice with the first team and a short week to boot because the $10 Million diva is to fine for these games. I doubt with practice with the first team in preseason and throughout the season that Moore would have done worse than Cutler.

So from here on out I question Gase's talent evaluation especially when it comes to the QB position. This year I have seen some of the worst QBing in a Dolphins uniform since the Ray Lucas days. It made Chad Henne look like a HoF QB.

Let him put all his eggs into the Tannehill basket. Fine. But if Tannehill does not tear it up next year and we do not end up with an 11-5 record or something like that I want them all gone. If Tannehill struggles for whatever reasons incl post injury problems (mentally and/or physically) and he has nobody worth a dime behind Tannehill I want them all to pack their ****: Tannebaum, Grier, Gase, Coordinators, Tannehill and go to hell.

This year Gase looked like Philbin on the sideline: clueless look, empty face.
And I don't want to hear this weekly: "we have to execute better" and "we have to look at the film" anymore.
The kicker was the answer at the end of the season to what his evaluation of the season is: "we have to look at the season as a whole on film". Really you haven't watched film enough yet? Somebody give the guy a movie pass.

In regards to Smith vs Tannehill. I would not trade. It is a lateral move and even if Smith would be slightly better we would pay more (too much) to get Smith and we would not get enough for Tannehill to compensate for the Smith trade. We'd lose out big time.

Tannehill has often been compared to Smith. I've always thought his ceiling was a little higher than Smith's, but maybe that's just me being optimistic.

At the beginning of this season, Smith was playing absolutely terrific football including hitting a fair share of deep balls. That's always been perceived as his weakness. He also wasn't playing behind an offensive line that pass protected very well.

I think Tannehill is about seven years younger and I do think his game could still tick upwards a bit. Plus, he knows the system. I'd go with Tannehill and draft a quarterback somewhere in the middle rounds.

Tannehill has often been compared to Smith. I've always thought his ceiling was a little higher than Smith's, but maybe that's just me being optimistic.

At the beginning of this season, Smith was playing absolutely terrific football including hitting a fair share of deep balls. That's always been perceived as his weakness. He also wasn't playing behind an offensive line that pass protected very well.

I think Tannehill is about seven years younger and I do think his game could still tick upwards a bit. Plus, he knows the system. I'd go with Tannehill and draft a quarterback somewhere in the middle rounds.

Think the age difference is only 3 or 4 years. Smith may of been drafted 7 years earlier but he came out at 21 while Ryan came out at 24.

But Smith has 12 years of experience, Ryan only 5. One is certainly pretty tapped out while the other is still looking to mark his territory.

I can't believe Tannehill is still this hotly debated around here. Same old finheaven

Chiefs didn’t lose that game because of Alex Smith they lost it because Travis kelce went out. That game was over up until he went down

Smith lead the league in qbr this year which tells you how efficient he was relative to qb ask in that offense

it hard to compare thill17 to anybody right now. What have he done in nfl. if Gase fail thill17 is done. Smith is better qb than thill17 to me. he know how win in regular season better. Smith problem he cannot get chiefs to superbowl.. not bad problem for dolphins at all. dolphins need young hungry qb out of college to push thill17 or replace him. if we need go up and get one of them top qb. we should go get him. the last 7 yr we have been fighting for 6,7,8,9 spot in afc.

If something happens to tanny again in 2018 I’d bet you all the money in my wallet that gase would get 2019 to draft his qb and be here until 2020 at least.

2018 tanny and mid round
2019 top pick all in qb
2020 results or walk plank

They will fire front office people first. Grier wears the first target

Ryan didn’t come out 24.

This wasn’t a brandon weeden mike the situation in jersey shore thing where the guy was 10 years older then everyone else.

Kelce goes down you squat on tyreek and force a bunch of scrubs who rely on scheme driven production as a result of kelce to make plays and they can’t.

And kcs gameplan which relies completely around kelce goes up in flames

You go home.

Ryan didn’t come out 24.

This wasn’t a brandon weeden mike the situation in jersey shore thing where the guy was 10 years older then everyone else.

Kelce goes down you squat on tyreek and force a bunch of scrubs who rely on scheme driven production as a result of kelce to make plays and they can’t.

You go home.

Ryan was 24 before he took an NFL snap his rookie season.

Definitely not a Weeden situation though. But there is a reason why the age difference between Smith and Tannehill is only 4 years while Smith has been in the league since 2005. Same with Rodgers who is also 34.

Ryan didn’t come out 24.

You go home.
ryan did come out at 23yr old but 2 month later he was 24... this yr 6 and he will be 30. he is older than cam newton

Back
Top Bottom