Alex Smith | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith

dsmith

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I am hoping that Alex Smith is a Dolphin. Just so you know where I am coming from, I am a huge NFL fan. I am a Steelers fan however, not so much a Dolphins Fan. Not that I have anything against Miami (except for when they play the black and gold).

Next, I am from Utah and I graduated from the U of U. I watched every game this season and even went to a few. The Utes were fun to watch and it all happened because of Alex Smith. He made all of the big time throws that he was asked to make. His intellegence and athleticism were very apparent on the field.

He definitely has his downsides. He played against inferior competition in college. The competition looked inferior. At times it seemed that Smith was toying with them. I was hoping the Fiesta Bowl could get some better comp. than Pitt, but as it was, Pitt looked lost in that game. Besides there are some mid-major quarterbacks who are doing pretty well in the NFL.

His touchdowns and completions are inflated. Quite a few of his passes were shovel passes. However, I have seen him sucessfully make every NFL type throw that I can think of, the fade route, the deep out, the come back, the seam, etc.

He played in a gimmicky offense. But it takes a very smart and well prepared player to play in this type of offense as well. He had to make instantaneous reads at the snap of the ball and he almost always made the right decision. There was such a drop off when the second string qb came into games. (and he was in there alot because Utah was always way ahead in most games).

So why do I want Smith to be a Dolphin? Because I think that he has the best chance to suceed in Miami. The Dolphins have always been good and even on down years they rebound. Two years ago, the Dolphins were one of the best teams in the league. With the sudden departure of the starting Running back and the hurricanes, Miami's season was over before it started last year. I see success with Miami and I see it soon. I see a team that can surround a young qb with talent.

The other teams at the top of the draft that could take him are awful. Whoever plays qb for the 9ers better get used to playing on his back. They are in a total rebuild stage. The Browns suck always, but they are particularly bad right now. The Cardinals have a history of being bad and I can't see that changing. The Bucs wouldn't be too bad, but they are a distant second to the Phins.

So please, please, please Miami take Alex Smith with the #2 pick. (as long as San Fran does the right thing with the #1 pick).

Thanks for the post. This Forum is so torn on who to take. There are a lot of people that wasnt a RB with the 2nd, a lot want WR with the 2nd, and a lot want QB with the 2nd. Everybody here has a different view of our team. I personally agree with you. I think we have to get Smith with the 2nd if we have the chance. He will need a year or so to make the switch from College to NFL but I think he will be a top QB in the NFL some day.

Good post though.

IF Alex Smith can make the deep outs then I agree he will be very good and especially with us. That is my biggest concern, the deep outs. Deep outs in college are diff than in teh NFL, dbs in the pros are much better than what he faced in Utah. The separation just isnt there to teh degree it is in college, they have much better closing speed and if he cannot put enough zip on the outs, the dbs will pick off passes that went for tds in college.

rickeyrunsover said:
IF Alex Smith can make the deep outs then I agree he will be very good and especially with us. That is my biggest concern, the deep outs. Deep outs in college are diff than in teh NFL, dbs in the pros are much better than what he faced in Utah. The separation just isnt there to teh degree it is in college, they have much better closing speed and if he cannot put enough zip on the outs, the dbs will pick off passes that went for tds in college.
I think he can make all the throws at the next level. The part that scares me, (and I am going mostly from the 20-50 clips I have been able to gather), is he never looks off recievers. If you go back and look at his clips he zooms in on one reciever and waits for him to get open. In a complicated college system like he was in where they spread you out and have favorable match-ups all over the field, you can get away with that. At the next level it is a problem that takes 3-5 years to correct if it can be fixed at all. Go back and look even at the clips that were posted here on this site. The only time he threw to another reciever is on the play where he is drifting to his right and finally throws the back just before the LB comes up. Even that is light years away from understanding the clock in your head and finding another reciever while standing in the pocket.
I'm no expert, but I really don't see him starting for a team in the NFL in the next 3 years. JMO

Thanks for the comments.

Is there any position that is much as a crap shoot as qb? While there is better competition at other top conferences at college, it is still not like the NFL. This is the best of the best. I don't care what an NFL's team record is, there is no easy games and you have got to be playing nearly perfect to win.

I don't have any guarantees that Smith won't be a bust, just like there are no guarantees that he won't be a star. Only time will tell. But I do beleive that the Dolphins give Smith the best chance to succeed. As I said, I am not a dol-fan, so I am looking at this situation from a different point of view. I like Smith. I like where he has come from (being a nobody - only college that wanted him was Utah & he was 2nd string until the starter got hurt).

I will be keeping track of whatever team drafts him (again hopefully the fish) and looking for him to succeed... unless he goes to the browns, then I will have to hate him unfortunately...

Thanks for the comments and I hope we get him too.

dsmith said:
I am hoping that Alex Smith is a Dolphin. Just so you know where I am coming from, I am a huge NFL fan. I am a Steelers fan however, not so much a Dolphins Fan. Not that I have anything against Miami (except for when they play the black and gold).

Next, I am from Utah and I graduated from the U of U. I watched every game this season and even went to a few. The Utes were fun to watch and it all happened because of Alex Smith. He made all of the big time throws that he was asked to make. His intellegence and athleticism were very apparent on the field.

He definitely has his downsides. He played against inferior competition in college. The competition looked inferior. At times it seemed that Smith was toying with them. I was hoping the Fiesta Bowl could get some better comp. than Pitt, but as it was, Pitt looked lost in that game. Besides there are some mid-major quarterbacks who are doing pretty well in the NFL.

His touchdowns and completions are inflated. Quite a few of his passes were shovel passes. However, I have seen him sucessfully make every NFL type throw that I can think of, the fade route, the deep out, the come back, the seam, etc.

He played in a gimmicky offense. But it takes a very smart and well prepared player to play in this type of offense as well. He had to make instantaneous reads at the snap of the ball and he almost always made the right decision. There was such a drop off when the second string qb came into games. (and he was in there alot because Utah was always way ahead in most games).

So why do I want Smith to be a Dolphin? Because I think that he has the best chance to suceed in Miami. The Dolphins have always been good and even on down years they rebound. Two years ago, the Dolphins were one of the best teams in the league. With the sudden departure of the starting Running back and the hurricanes, Miami's season was over before it started last year. I see success with Miami and I see it soon. I see a team that can surround a young qb with talent.

The other teams at the top of the draft that could take him are awful. Whoever plays qb for the 9ers better get used to playing on his back. They are in a total rebuild stage. The Browns suck always, but they are particularly bad right now. The Cardinals have a history of being bad and I can't see that changing. The Bucs wouldn't be too bad, but they are a distant second to the Phins.

So please, please, please Miami take Alex Smith with the #2 pick. (as long as San Fran does the right thing with the #1 pick).

According to our friends over at ESPN, they have Cleveland making the fastest turn around out of the worst 3.
HAHAHA, I feel the love. The release their entire D-Line, we bulk up our D-Line with quality players. We have the lesser of the talented teams though, according to ESPN, well Salsberry and Sclareth

Phinsdude said:
According to our friends over at ESPN, they have Cleveland making the fastest turn around out of the worst 3.
HAHAHA, I feel the love. The release their entire D-Line, we bulk up our D-Line with quality players. We have the lesser of the talented teams though, according to ESPN, well Salsberry and Sclareth

You have got to be kidding me! What are they smoking? Where is that link? Of the top three teams in the draft this year, I only see one that has even a semblance of a defense.

That's okay. Last year, most "experts" picked the Steelers dead last in their division behind the Browns & Bengals.

Speaking of the Steelers, do you think Ben would have had a good as year playing for San Diego or New York? No way. The Steelers protected Ben with a running game and an aggressive defense. I see the Dolphins as a team that can do the same thing. Give a good smart qb a chance to survive the first couple of years to get some confidence. There aren't a whole lot of teams in the top ten positions that I can say that about.

I can see from this board that most dolphins aren't too keen on taking Smith. I, for one will be cheering my head off if the Fish take him, not only becuase I think he can be a good for the team, but I think the Dolphins can be excellent for him.

On the draft special last week, they asked those two, which coach of the top 3 new coaches is the most like Bill Belichek. They both responded saying Lovie Smith, and that he will turn the Browns around faster then the other two, one being us, and that they will be the most successful in the upcoming season. Yeah, I felt the same way. I am used to it, as we all are.

I believe you mean Crennel, not Lovie Smith.

We have way too many young posters on here, who have only followed the league the last 5-8 years. You guys have seen nothing but the Belichick NFL and think that anything touched by him has healing properties. The older posters who have watched the NFL over years and know what has worked throughout time all pretty much have said the same thing:

-Saban is the real deal, Belichick tie or not
-we need a QB and other offensive stars
-talented offensive stars are almost NEVER found in the draft past 3rd Round
-career assistants are usually NOT great HC's (scratch Crennel)
-experienced middle-career players are better than a team of rookies (draft picks)
-teams need to be built for LONG-RANGE, not just a "run" of 3 yrs.
-intelligence and field-savvy at QB is better than "street cred" and hype

Put Saban and Smith together on this team and I fully believe we are primed for a 10-year run of dominance. With the moves Saban has already made we are turned 180 degrees from where we were last offseason. We just need the QB and the RB as puzzle pieces. No other bottom 10 team last year has improved anything close to us (Oakland's defense is still sorry)

ESPN thinks the sun shines out of Romeo Crennels patooty. Saban will show those fools.

As for the draft, Smith, Edwards -- I am having up and down thoughts about them both but with Ronnie Brown I've been consistently positive about getting all along. I'd just hate to get Smith, him ride the bench behind an embarrassing performance of A.J/Gus and Ronnie to rush for 1500 yards. "Can't say I told ya so".

I agree with you guys, will be so happy when Smith is holding up the dolphins jersey number 11.

Back
Top Bottom