All coming together | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

All coming together

Ferretsquig

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
The NBA moratorium on free agent signings ends today at noon, and the Heat could have the best remaining free agent wrapped up in a sign-and-trade deal soon after.

While details of the deal remained unclear, with the Heat and Celtics speaking late Monday figuring out the specifics, the teams are close to a deal that would send a newly signed forward Antoine Walker to Miami. With the Celtics not wanting to take on much salary in return, the Heat might not be giving up much more than its $1.9 million trade exception, a minimal-salary player and draft picks. A third team could be involved. Walker's deal is believed to begin at about $6 million to $7 million.
Meanwhile, Memphis point guard Jason Williams still looks like he's headed to Miami via trade, but just how the transaction will occur also remains cloudy.

There might be at least one other team involved and possibly more players, but sources maintain that Williams and his Grizzlies, swingman James Posey, will end up in Miami and Eddie Jones will leave the Heat.

Sources indicated that the particulars of the deal have been altered during the past few days, but Heat president Pat Riley was approaching matters as if the move, which was expected to occur within the next three or four days, was imminent.

The prospect of playing in Miami with center Shaquille O'Neal has intrigued Williams since last summer, and he didn't hide his displeasure with the Grizzlies during the course of the past year.
The Heat also is expected to announce the re-signing of O'Neal to a deal that one NBA source said is a five-year contract worth $25 million each year.

Jason Williams will not help this team. He will hurt this team. Minor changes, R&R, minor changes! Get DJ back! Bring in Earl Watson or the like! You're good to go!

DJ should be coming back as well. It just depends on what he can garner on the open market and what loyalty he has to Shaq and this team. I would venture to guess that hes not going to get much more than the 3.5 mil per year that the Heat can offer. If someone is crazy enough to give him the full MLE then hes gone.

Otherwise the lineup is getting interesting. You may not like JWill but skill wise he is far better than DJ will ever be. Personally I think the lineups should be:

PG - DJ
SG - DWade
SF - Posey / Woods
PF - Haslem
C - Shaq

and when Shaq sits:

PG - JWill
SG - Wade
SF - Woods / Walker
PF - Walker / Haslem
C - Zo

The real reason Riley has realized he must make a move is because Shaq will be here for another 5 years. He is already declining in ability and he will be lucky to average 33 min per game. DJ is a great complement when Shaq is on the floor but his inability to create his own shot really hinders the team when Wade is the primary option. JWill and Walker can take the ball out of Wades hands and create shots on their own, something that noone could do with the backup lineup last year.

But Williams is such a disturbing presence. The guy got expelled from college and is still grabbing pens out of reporters' hands because he doesn't want to talk. Face it, the guy is trashy. We don't need that.

I dont recall Williams getting the boot out of UF, are you sure you aren't thinking of Teddy DuPay?

RWhitney014 said:
But Williams is such a disturbing presence. The guy got expelled from college and is still grabbing pens out of reporters' hands because he doesn't want to talk. Face it, the guy is trashy. We don't need that.

All that happened years ago. Ever since Hubie Brown was coach of the Grizzlies, Jason has been a whole new man. Jason will help Miami.

byroan said:
All that happened years ago. Ever since Hubie Brown was coach of the Grizzlies, Jason has been a whole new man. Jason will help Miami.

He grabbed the pen of Geoff Calkins of the Memphis Commercial Appeal back in March and was fined $10,000 for it. He's a little punk.

As far as the expulsion, I got that from Ethan Skolnick's column today. I'm trusting him.

RWhitney014 said:
He grabbed the pen of Geoff Calkins of the Memphis Commercial Appeal back in March and was fined $10,000 for it. He's a little punk.

As far as the expulsion, I got that from Ethan Skolnick's column today. I'm trusting him.

He wasnt kicked out of school, but was kicked off the team. Noone is disputing the fact he acts like a little punk at times, you just have to hope the solid players in Miami can whip him into shape. Shaq and Williams have shown mutual interest in playing with each other before.

RWhitney014 said:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basketball/heat/sfl-skolnick02.1aug02,0,5058045.column?coll=sfla-sports-heat

I was going to write a commentary, but Ethan took care of it.

BTW, Shaq just took a 10 million dollar pay cut. 5 years, 100 million for the big fella. Nicely done.

So I see you're just going by Ethan's writeup.

[font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica][font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica]will he remain so after all those trademark too-quick transition jumpers?[/font][/font]

He hasn't done that since Sidney was coach.

byroan said:
So I see you're just going by Ethan's writeup.

He hasn't done that since Sidney was coach.

Byroan, I tend to believe printed press most of the time. People get fired if they're wrong.

Forget the "disturbing presence" stuff. It's not an issue. What's important is this: how's White Chocolate's "what, me defend?" act going to go over with the Heat? He's a fine passer and he'll spring Shaq and Wade for some open looks, but he's going to give up as many points as he creates.

phunwin said:
Forget the "disturbing presence" stuff. It's not an issue. What's important is this: how's White Chocolate's "what, me defend?" act going to go over with the Heat? He's a fine passer and he'll spring Shaq and Wade for some open looks, but he's going to give up as many points as he creates.

Yes, defense is an issue with J-Will. That's why Earl played late in the 4th if it was a close game.

Back
Top Bottom