All I could Find on Sage... Give us a Clearer Idea | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

All I could Find on Sage... Give us a Clearer Idea

Jaj

What you say?
Reaction score
SAGE ROSENFELS
By: Dave-Te' Thomas

#18-SAGE ROSENFELS Iowa State University Cyclones 6:04.1-221

ANALYSIS
Positives... Confident field general with a strong personality...Tough and durable, absorbing punishing shots without ever being knocked out of a game...Has fine delivery and passing mechanics, hitting receivers in stride on timing patterns...Though under constant pressure, he keeps his cool...Very quick driving away from the center while setting up, showing the body control needed to throw on the move...Carries the ball chest-high and is always ready to throw...Has quick wrist action in his delivery and the power behind his tosses so he does not have to plant in order to throw the deep passes...Knows how to adjust his release based on angles taken while throwing...Can drill the ball in the seam playing the short area passing game and keeps receivers within their routes by feathering the ball to them on long bombs...Shows good backside awareness rolling out of the pocket...Scans the field effectively throws with impressive velocity in the intermediate and short range...Can also hold for placements.

Negatives... Tends to lock onto his primary receivers too much...Looks to run when the pocket collapses, rather that throwing the ball out of bounds to prevent a turnover...Little inconsistent with his accuracy, especially when throwing the long ball...Has to improve his field judgement, as he gets into a rhythm where he will force the ball into traffic.

CAREER NOTES
Durable athlete with two seasons as a starter under his belt...Appeared in 29 regular season games during his career with the Cyclones, passing for 4164 yards on 306 of 587 attempts (52.1%) with 18 touchdowns and 12 interceptions...His 306 pass completions of 587 throws rank fourth on the school's career-record list while his 4164 yards are topped only by Todd Bandhauer (5235, 1995-98) and Alex Espinoza (5307, 1984-86) in ISU annals... Known for his elusiveness in the pocket, he added 660 yards and 14 touchdowns on 164 carries (4.0 avg)...Averaged 166.3 yards per game in total offense during his time at Iowa State...His 4824 yards in total offense places him second on the school's all-time record list behind Espinoza's 5018.

REMIND ME OF... New Orleans' Aaron Brooks.

Sage Rosenfels, Iowa State
Quarterback, 6-4, 215
Speed: 4.85, Rating: 68

Combine Numbers
Height Weight 40 (Hand) 40 (Electronic) Vertical Jump Long Jump Shuttle
6-4 3/8 228 4.75 4.79 34 8'11 4.29

(Allsport)
Big, physical dropback passer completed a strong final two seasons that included leading the Cyclones to their first bowl appearance and win in 22 years. Rosenfels is a classic pocket passer who throws the ball with a quick wrist delivery. He has a powerful arm that allows him to throw the deep ball with ease. He improved immensely over his two seasons starting in the Big 12.

As a senior, Rosenfels threw for 2298 yards on 172 completions of 333 attempts for a 51 percent completion rate. He threw for eight TDs and 12 interceptions over the season, but he saved his best for last with a huge performance against Pittsburgh in the Insight.com Bowl. In that game he threw for 308 yards and two TDs on 23 of 34 passing in the best effort of his career. He followed that up with a fine week at the Senior Bowl, where he displayed his big-league arm and fine overall QB skills.

Rosenfels had the strongest arm at the practices and game and continued to improve as a passer. He has worked hard to improve his mechanics and it certainly reflected in his play late in his career. He has adequate footwork in his setup and has developed the ability to slide in the pocket to avoid the rush. He has the footspeed to get on the outside and make plays on the perimeter.

As a junior, Rosenfels threw for 1,781 yards and 10 TDs in an offense that usually looked to run the ball first. He combines a good work ethic and excellent intangibles to get full use of all his physical skills. His poise and leadership especially as a senior were clearly obvious in clutch situations that made the difference in winning and losing. He has progressed nicely on his reads and decision-making, showing the smarts and intangibles to direct an offense. He has been a durable player, showing the ability to take a hit and not miss any time on the field.

As a passer, he is a rhythm passer who has had both hot and cold periods during his playing time. He will lock on to his primary receiver at times giving the free safety the opportunity to provide double coverage. He needs work on his reads and progressions with an emphasis on secondary receivers. He displays a nice arm with a fine touch on all his passes and improved later in his career throwing the deep ball. He has a big frame with strength to fight off rushers and the toughness to take a hit.

At Senior Bowl practices and in the game, he helped his cause further with his professionalism and athletic skills. He had a nice week throwing the ball in front of NFL scouts. At the combine, he ran a 4.75 and pushed himself into a mid-round draft grade off a strong senior performance. Marginal NFL starter with the talent and skills to continue to improve. Good second-day addition with the upside to become a solid starter if he continues to develop.

Draft Projection: Fifth-Sixth Round

Sage Rosenfels
SELECTED BY WASHINGTON , ROUND 4, PICK 14, OVERALL PICK 109
QB | (6-4, 229, 4.8) | IOWA STATE | COLLEGE STATS
By Pro Football Weekly

Notes: High school football and basketball standout who also played baseball and tennis and competed in track and field. Redshirted in 1996. Lettered as a backup in '97 and '98, appearing in four games each year. Started every game the past two years. Completed 127 of 235 passes for 1,781 yards, 10 touchdowns and 11 interceptions in '99 and carried 80 times for 225 yards and four TDs. Hit on 172-333-2,298-8-12 in 2000 and ran for 381 yards and 10 touchdowns on 78 carries.

Positives: Above-average athlete. Good intangibles. Hard worker. Improves every year. Excellent size and good timed speed. Very smart. Tough. Sees the field pretty well and can throw on the run.

Negatives: Poor throwing mechanics. Loses velocity on most of his throws because he does not step into his throws and use his body correctly. Tends to throw too many balls falling away from the target, which also hurts his accuracy. Does not throw many tight spirals. Is not a pinpoint passer who can be counted on to hit his receivers in stride.

Summary: Must improve passing mechanics if he is to make it on the next level. Does not have a cannon arm, but it is really hard to say how strong his arm is because he throws so many balls falling away or by just using his arm and not stepping into throws.

Now that is a lot of stuff!!!!:eek:

Was very impressive this pre-season(means something not a lot but not nothing as some of you discount it). 101 Qb rating running an offense with average receivers.

Why is everyone so hyped on this guy? He had a good preseason so what, Lucas did as well. Senior year threw more Ints than Td. I don't see him helping us at all.

Get the hell out of here, how the hell does Shaq suck. Where did I overhype huh. I gave you plain reviews!!

Originally posted by Jaj
Get the hell out of here, how the hell does Shaq suck. Where did I overhype huh. I gave you plain reviews!!

Chill out, First I'm a T-wolves fan and I don't like Shaq anyway. Second I didn't say you over hyped him I said Everyone..... learn to read.

I know very well how to read. It seemed in a way aimed at me. Forget it though.

The point is I would be comfortable with him as the #2. (Bash me if you like on this)

It wasn't aimed at you at all, and I wouldn't be comfortable with him as a number 2 because he has never started an NFL game. If Fiedler goes down I would be more comfortable giving the starting job to a veteran (Griese) than Sage.

I would prefer Griese over Sage as #2(due to expirenece) but I like Rosenfeld's potential.

Hey if we could make something out of Fiedler, we can make something real good out of Sage.

Sage sounds like the kinda of guy that will eventually become a quality QB, but that is soo hard to figure these days. Mechanics can be corrected w/hard work which he seems to be willing to put in. However, if we sign Griese, not sure he'll get enough PT to show us if he is any good. I still doubt anyone can ever play as bad as Lucaas did...

Sage has alot of potential and is smart. Good arm, willing to learn and is coachable, good deep ball. Look at some of the top qbs, they were late round picks, there haven't been as many #1 qbs that excelled as compared to mid round qbs. I think Sage deserves the shot to be the qb of the future.

The difference between Sage and Lucas is that Sage is much more of a complete QB than lucas. Plus, he's very smart and very accurate. I will be keeping my own Sage during Mini-Camp this weekend. He will be getting alot of reps with the second string offense. I am very high on this kid. I think he has all the tools needed to be our back up. I think he will suprise alot of people..

Jaj....

I am comfortable with Rosenfels as the three but not the two...
yet...

I think you have to be able to turn the team over to a player without a lot of anxiety...

hence the possible signing of Griese...
Rosenfels looked like a dear in headlights last year in the Greenbay game.

@ dolphinators13

sorry to tell you that, but the season of the Wolves will be over on thursday night.....GO LAKERS

Back
Top Bottom