All I want out of this draft is 3 players to come in and contribute | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

All I want out of this draft is 3 players to come in and contribute

Danny

Finheaven VIP
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
We really don't have room for 8 or 9 rookies on this team. We're set at all 11 spots on defence(maybe a competition for safety but need no rookie here)and on offence we seem set at 9 spots. The only 2 spots open are RG and RT. If Mack was ready then he'd atsrt at RT but right now I think ST. Claire will start unless we get Andrews who'd probably start at RT.So what I would like to see is for us to get an o-lineman(Andrews or Smiley in round 1 or Clarke/Jacobs/Starks in round 3?)a DT that could come in and get some playing time in our rotation speeling Timbo and/or Chester and a WR that can play the slot(I like Evans here and starting to like Hamilton in round 3) and other than that maybe a LB to play ST's and for depth.Is hard to say which DT's are gonna be there as they're all over the place.I've seen mocks that have some DT's going high 2nd or late 1st and other have the same players going in the 3rd but anyway, I just want help on those 3 positions and I'll be happy.

Ozzy rules!!

Needs I think we have to address:
1) At least one solid OLman for the right side (RG or RT)
2) A solid WR who can contribute in a 3-wide set
3) A back-up MLB who can play STs

Other areas where we could use an upgrade:
4) Young talent at DT
5) A 4th CB
6) A PR/KR (perhaps Wilkins is the answer here)
7) A back-up FB who is a solid blocker, receiver, and ST player

I agree that we can use LB depth as I stated too. I think we'll be fine with Morries at FB.A corner would be ok but we got 3 top ones so I'm happy for that.

Ozzy rules!!

Just think of it this way! What if Zach,JR or Greewood get hurt then what. Timbo and Larry are not that young, can they last a whole season!! I think we are set at WR with the addition of DB and the Depth we got out of last years draft and the addition of Snoop!! Between Snoop, Toliver, Thompson, Simmions, Wilkins someboby should be able to play the slot!! So I think our draft needs are as follows:

1. OL Guard or Tackle ( added depth if a young guy from last year will step up)
2. Depth at DT or LB ( Take the best player at that time)
3. WR ( A fast slot guy or Kick returner)
4. Best avilable player (Special Teams) LB/S/CB/DE
5. OL/DL Project Guy

If all these areas are addressed then we are in business!! Remember We have a new QB and look at last year! How many balls did our Slot reciever get! Not many!!

Lemme try to answer the problems that danny noonan addressed:
1. Shawn Andrews
2.I dont know about drafting a WR too high, we could get a quality reciever in lower rounds Parker, Sam, Darling are good slot WRS.this is a deep WR draft.
3.Courtney Watson is a pretty good middle LB and has speed to play ST also.
other areas:
4.I think we could draft one pretty high our third or a 2nd if we get one...Marcus tubbs, Dwan Edwards, Junioir Siavii and Matthias askew are some possibilites.
5.CB? not this year...not a need.rather keep Tbuck or pick up a vet after june 1st.
6.no...wilkens,sammy morris,simmons,dont we still have charlie rogers...dont need another returner to compete.
7.Huh back up full back? thas wut morris is for...got konrad to do all the blocking...dont need two blockers.

This is what i think we really need:
1. Shawn Andrews to solidify our line and could be used at G or T....with James and Andrews pulling and pushing Ricky will have lanes to run thru and big bodys that can keep up with his pace and block.
2.An addition along the defensive line will be nice for the future and can help us out here and there...DT or DE.
3. With the loss of Hendricks we could use some MLB depth to relieve Zach and play some ST...either with a draft pick or after june 1st cuts.
4.I would like to see us pick a talented, one of the top five safeties in the draft...Jones,Sanders,Ware or Schwiegart.
5. Then with a low pick get a WR that has speed and hands and possilbly return some kicks.

My bad on forgetting we signed Sammy Morris, so need area #7 can be taken off the list.

#5: A 4th CB (this could be answered by signing TBuck, which has not happened yet)

#6: A PR/KR (perhaps we won't address this further if the F.O. thinks that Wilkins can do the job, but he might get some competition from others)

That still leaves our needs:
4) Young talent at DT

I think we will draft the BPA from among these 4 areas. If we are on the clock, cannot trade down, and there are 4 equally-rated players, one from each category listed above, then we will go in the order listed above. However, in this draft I think this might mean that we will draft in this order:
1: WR (if Andrews is off the board)
3: OL
4: MLB
5: DT

No other OLman will be rated as highly as the WRs at pick #20 if Andrews is off the board. So the BPA will be a WR. I think there should be plenty of OLmen in the 3rd to choose from (that carry similar grades to the other positions), so we'll go with our top priority.

I agree that OL is our greatest need at this point. However, unless we are able to trade down, it is likely that the BPA when we draft at #20 will be a WR. And, we can use a WR with play-making abilities as a 3rd WR and as insurance in case Bosston implodes or we cannot re-sign Chambers.

DannyNoonan said:
Needs I think we have to address:

Other areas where we could use an upgrade:
4) Young talent at DT
5) A 4th CB
6) A PR/KR (perhaps Wilkins is the answer here)
7) A back-up FB who is a solid blocker, receiver, and ST player

I like your list the best. Including #7. Morris is only 220lbs and can play RB. Moving him there and getting a true FB as depth allows us to deal Minor or Henry and gives us greater flexibility in the event of injury.

Your #3 need could be a LB who could play in or out such as Maurice Jones, South Florida as well as contribute on ST.

I especially like your recognition of the #5 need. Presently that spot is filled by Korey Banks, backed by Alphonso Roundtree in NFLE. The spector of him playing 60% of the plays as a nickle in the event of an injury is not a pleasant thought. Yes, T-Buck may come back but he is a short term solution at best. With three starting quality CB's on the roster it is unlikely any street free agents could be inticed to join us so we should draft someone in a later round to groom.

And while I am all for younger depth at DT keep in mind Larry Chester is only 28 and Dario Romero, 26, has performed ably when given a chance. Yes, Timbo is 31 and Zgonina, 34, so attention must be given but not desperately.

Good analysis.

I think most of all we need a solid OL. I think we need to upgrade at Safety and find a possible future MLB. DT is also a need for future. in actuality, we really dont need a third WR. I think Simmons/Wilkins will fulfill our needs at PR/KR.
Its simple as far as needs.
1) OL
2) S
3) MLB
4) DT
5) P competition
6)WR

That doesnt mean you draft to your needs. if you can get a stud WR, you get him. If you can get a stud OL, you get him. If phillip rivers by some miracle of god, he drops to 20, you get him. If Vilma drops to 20 you get him.

dolphindew said:
Just think of it this way! What if Zach,JR or Greewood get hurt then what. Timbo and Larry are not that young, can they last a whole season!! I think we are set at WR with the addition of DB and the Depth we got out of last years draft and the addition of Snoop!! Between Snoop, Toliver, Thompson, Simmions, Wilkins someboby should be able to play the slot!! So I think our draft needs are as follows:

1. OL Guard or Tackle ( added depth if a young guy from last year will step up)
2. Depth at DT or LB ( Take the best player at that time)
3. WR ( A fast slot guy or Kick returner)
4. Best avilable player (Special Teams) LB/S/CB/DE
5. OL/DL Project Guy

If all these areas are addressed then we are in business!! Remember We have a new QB and look at last year! How many balls did our Slot reciever get! Not many!!

I actually dont thik we need another OL project guy. i think we already have those. i think we could end up with Ruddy or Perry coming back if need be so i dont think this is the route. this is why i also think we arent looking at a Snee or smiley cus they want versatility and if they end up needing just G they could bring back Perry.

Back
Top Bottom