All Offense? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

All Offense?

Wondering what the fans thoughts are about spending the first four picks in this years upcoming draft on offense.
Basically doing the reverse of what Carolina did, by drafting all defensive players last year.

Also, wonder how it works cap wise, when the majority of those players will all be due for a second contract 4 years. Does the team think about having a bunch of free agents on one side of the ball in a given year?

I'd like the INCLINATION to be all O, ut if a top D talent is there and Miami ranks him well above the highest O guy, take the D

Does anyone like Mark Ingram III? Trade?
I don't think you get good value at the running back position through free agency or trades. You also don't shell out high contracts to running backs. If you establish good offensive line play, you can draft mid round backs every couple of years and just run them into the ground before cutting them loose.

Mam if we can get 2 of the following players I will be very happy:

DeVonte Smith
Sewell
Najee Harris
Jamar Chase
Trey Sermon
Jaret Patterson

Offense is a priority, but it just depends on how the picks fall. I would always look hard at bpa over need.

Offense is a priority, but it just depends on how the picks fall. I would always look hard at bpa over need.
You absolutely have to look at thing as they come available. You can go in with a well defined framework, and even a specific plan, taking into account multiple scenarios.

As soon as the dominos start falling, things can go a whole different direction, and being too rigid can mean lost good opportunities.

Better to start the run on a position than get in on the run late.

That's kind of a blanket statement, in the sense that "impactful" is subjective.

A LB or pass rusher can clearly be seen as impactful from making a few splash plays, even though they aren't doing their job 80% of the time, whereas a DT can be executing his responsibilities at an extremely high level, and never get the recognition of being an impact player.

Just thinking outloud really.
Excellent points. There is something that can be said regarding splash plays, and there are also positions that can impact a team in a major way if you hit on the right player. Best LG or best WR is a huge difference. You don’t have to game plan on defense around a guard, but if you have an elite WR who can take the top off of a defense like Tyreek you have to make a gameplan to bracket him or have multiple eyes on him. If I have the nest guard in the NFL I don’t have to make an adjustment with my defense.
Last year we could have moved up one spot each for Cee Dee Lamb and Dobbins instead of Jackson and Ig at DB. What would our offense look like if we had done that last year and going into the draft. We would have WR and RB covered, would take Penei at LT this year and grab best WR available at 18.

Excellent points. There is something that can be said regarding splash plays, and there are also positions that can impact a team in a major way if you hit on the right player. Best LG or best WR is a huge difference. You don’t have to game plan on defense around a guard, but if you have an elite WR who can take the top off of a defense like Tyreek you have to make a gameplan to bracket him or have multiple eyes on him. If I have the nest guard in the NFL I don’t have to make an adjustment with my defense.
Last year we could have moved up one spot each for Cee Dee Lamb and Dobbins instead of Jackson and Ig at DB. What would our offense look like if we had done that last year and going into the draft. We would have WR and RB covered, would take Penei at LT this year and grab best WR available at 18.
Those kind of hypotheticals are nebulous at best. Just as an example, you propose Cee Dee, as opposed to Jackson. It's impossible to say, or really even project accurately. If our LT was a complete turnstile, does the reciever make that much difference? Does Tua even survive unscathed?

I mean your proposal entirely discounts the "build inside out" philosophy. I happen to believe in that philosophy, but even if I didn't, the powers that be have to have some viable philosophy, other that "pick that guy, he's shiney".

Just picking random players, is no way to go. There has to be a vision that goes beyond the next great thing for the immediate season if you want a sucessful rebuild.

Aside from the high priced FA corner signing, we took a QB, then concentrated, primarily on the lines. This was also where our fucus was in FA, both lines.

You can make a good case that Iggy was a luxury pick. If you step back, and look at the bigger picture, he was developmental insurance.

We had no intention of building the skills last year, either through FA, or the draft. We took a stopgap, just get by approach. You may not like that philosophy, but that doesn't mean there wasn't rational thought behind it.

I would love to go Parsons with the first pick and then all O with the other three.

Not saying you dont know Xs and Os, I'll assume you do but having played college baseball and then later coaching high school baseball one thing I learned is playing the sport regardless of level does not make one able to coach (GM) it.
Well lucky for you/us, Horry knows what he’s talking about :)

No, we shouldn't go into the draft hell bent on 4/4 offensive players. As usual they have a big board, and see how the players fall, and look for trade down or possibly trade up possibilities. I think the board will be slanted to offensive needs, so it MIGHT end up all offense.

FWIW, although the D was clearly better than the O, I think the difference is less than most think. The D led in takeaways, and were very good in 4th down and 3rd down stops - all stats that tend to show regression to the mean. The offense was 10th in the league in success rate (Sharp football stats and other similar sites), but around 30th in big play rate. Studies show offenses like that tend to progress UP to the mean. (Big plays are to some extent random). Our offense actually ranked quite a bit higher than the D in success rate.

Edit: Those stats were before Buffalo. Off success rate dropped a few places for sure. My points re: O vs D and regression/progression to the mean still stand though.

Last edited:
I played receiver at a D1 school and I said I am not acting like I am a GM. I just said I would do.
Wow I think we ALL get that by now!

And of course no one else around here played football...

:rolleyes:

Those kind of hypotheticals are nebulous at best. Just as an example, you propose Cee Dee, as opposed to Jackson. It's impossible to say, or really even project accurately. If our LT was a complete turnstile, does the reciever make that much difference? Does Tua even survive unscathed?

I mean your proposal entirely discounts the "build inside out" philosophy. I happen to believe in that philosophy, but even if I didn't, the powers that be have to have some viable philosophy, other that "pick that guy, he's shiney".

Just picking random players, is no way to go. There has to be a vision that goes beyond the next great thing for the immediate season if you want a sucessful rebuild.

Aside from the high priced FA corner signing, we took a QB, then concentrated, primarily on the lines. This was also where our fucus was in FA, both lines.

You can make a good case that Iggy was a luxury pick. If you step back, and look at the bigger picture, he was developmental insurance.

We had no intention of building the skills last year, either through FA, or the draft. We took a stopgap, just get by approach. You may not like that philosophy, but that doesn't mean there wasn't rational thought behind it.
Good teams build inside out no question, and they look at their boards and look at BPA and need to make decisions. Jackson was a solid pick at LT and is a good cog to add to our oline for years to come - no problem with him there. Lamb would have also been good there but it is a wash. The Iggy pick was a waste and Dobbins made more sense on every level. His production this year showed that, and it was also an area of need. Iggy not only did not look good, but it was a dumb move to get a developmental corner when you have the two highest paid corners in the league and had huge holes in many places. If you are a Super Bowl team with few glaring needs you can take a flyer - not a team picking 5th overall with huge holes at WR, RB, Oline, safety, d-line... of all of the spots where we needed help that was close to last on the list and every Fins fan knows it. Plus he barely played because he was a liability this year.

Back
Top Bottom