All Offense? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

All Offense?

Good teams build inside out no question, and they look at their boards and look at BPA and need to make decisions. Jackson was a solid pick at LT and is a good cog to add to our oline for years to come - no problem with him there. Lamb would have also been good there but it is a wash. The Iggy pick was a waste and Dobbins made more sense on every level. His production this year showed that, and it was also an area of need. Iggy not only did not look good, but it was a dumb move to get a developmental corner when you have the two highest paid corners in the league and had huge holes in many places. If you are a Super Bowl team with few glaring needs you can take a flyer - not a team picking 5th overall with huge holes at WR, RB, Oline, safety, d-line... of all of the spots where we needed help that was close to last on the list and every Fins fan knows it. Plus he barely played because he was a liability this year.
I wasn't high on the iggy pick myself. I was really just saying I understand it, given the overall plan, and context.

I am 100% on board with spending the 1st 4 picks on offense. We have a top 10 defense, lets focus on fixing the offense which helps the defense if we can have more sustained drives. Not to mention we need to be able to keep up with the Chiefs, and Bills of the world.
BS. We need a defensive end who can allow us to win with only rushing 4 guys.
Now, if that guy isnt there when we pick then we cant attain it. A true sideline-sideline, special talent LB is also extremely desirable, as is a premier ball-hawk safety with speed.

A difference maker is a difference maker. If a guy can so totally dominate matchups as to disrupt the opponents plan, in either side of the ball, you take them.

We all know that Miami's offense needs a LOT of help. Their offense is below average (even though overall stats are better than past years, they still suck), so they should put an emphasis on getting weapons and shoring up the o-line. That said, if Miami's defense had been able to at least slow down Buffalo's offense (and their back-ups!) last week even an average offense might have had a chance to win that game. That "Top" defense looks good when they make big plays, but without those big plays they're nothing special. In fact, they do tend to give up a lot of big plays to the opponent's offense!

The off-season emphasis needs to be on getting weapons for the offense and shoring up the o-line, but the defense also needs help too. Want to be a playoff team? I see Buffalo as the measuring stick; build a defense that can slow them down, and build an offense that can outscore them if necessary.
Our pass rush was pathetic unless we stunted or blitzed, which left us vulnerable to big plays, especially big runs.

One thing to consider: How did the best WR in the draft wind up being Jefferson at 22? How was he overlooked? I want our FO being the one finding the 'gem' and not over-drafting 'pedigree'.

I wasn't high on the iggy pick myself. I was really just saying I understand it, given the overall plan, and context.
People seem to forget how 'iffy' X Howard was coming into this year.
Selling high on him might be smart, too. When he wasnt picking off passes, he was often in poor position to make plays. He could take a deep plunge next season.

Doubt X ever has 10 picks again...bad knee?..
Im listening to offers..sell high ..Patriot way

I’d go best player available the whole draft with exception of I wouldn’t draft any QB this year and I wouldn’t draft a corner high unless we are trading X. We still need more help on defense at the linebacker level and on the line.

What do you all think about linebacker Joe Schobert? He seems legit for a young LB

That's kind of a blanket statement, in the sense that "impactful" is subjective.

A LB or pass rusher can clearly be seen as impactful from making a few splash plays, even though they aren't doing their job 80% of the time, whereas a DT can be executing his responsibilities at an extremely high level, and never get the recognition of being an impact player.

Just thinking outloud really.
We were talking offense, however.

If a receiver, tight end or running back is drafted high and does not have a positive impact, then I would say that was bad drafting.

RBs should have an impact right away, TEs soon after but many WRs may take far longer to mature as NFL players.

Our whole WR and RB room need upgrading. I advocate for doubling down on both those positions.

Last edited:
One thing to consider: How did the best WR in the draft wind up being Jefferson at 22? How was he overlooked? I want our FO being the one finding the 'gem' and not over-drafting 'pedigree'.
He wasn't overlooked, he was one of the higher rated prospects.

Back
Top Bottom