Alot of intresting Battles to see at camp.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alot of intresting Battles to see at camp..

minus

Perennial All-Pro
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
First we have to start with offensive line.Who would it be Smith or Sprigss? or are we going to see Dixon start at LT.....

My early predictions will be that either Sprigg will take LT position or we will see Dixon start at LT...

Now on to LE which might be the most heated competition out of all of them.

I'm just hoping for Ogunleye or Bowens to step up.This could be feel good story of the year if one of these youngster step and become that pass rusher opposite to Jason taylor.It will be hard for any of the two to convince Wanstead to be starter even if they out played Burnett and Williams.

My prediction William starts because of he is good against the run.Burnett will assume the role that Trace left behind.Now I'm hoping I'm wrong....

Will the team carry 4 running backs? o Just carry 3?

Either way this will be another good battle between rookie Henry and Edwards.Henry has impressed the coaches alot and kinda took them by surprise.Robert Edwards has shown he still has some thign left on his knees but can they withstand training camp?

Never have enough good rb... They might just carry all four of them but if they don't look for Henry to win this battle...

The battle for 3rd coner spot might be already won before camp....
Even if Ray Green continues to impress (and I guess you can add Lowe) ..There no way Wanstead will move him above fletcher because simple fact that Fletcher needs to prove he was worth that first round pick...

Now 4th cornerback spot right now is between Green and Lowe ...You have to give the edge to Green because of his early flashes even though he cool off.Now we will see if Green is the real thing or not....

My prediction is that Green shows that he is the real deal.Lowe is place on the practice squad.

TE position might be the hardest one to predict because who knows how Mayes will hurt himself this time.If Mayes comes to camp determine to play ..There no way Weaver can beat him out but either way Weaver is not that bad himself...

Prediction:This will be a toss up....

3rd string QB....This might be another good battle but Can we see Lucas going down the depth charts? Nah just because of the fact Lucas has experience he is safe from being demoted to #3.I really like Levick and Kustok...

my prediction.....
In the long run Levick will win the battle but I think there a new rule that now you can have six player on practice squad.The rule is added especially so that team can carry a QB in their practice squad.Look for Kustok to stick around in practice squad...

What you guys think?

You forgot a couple...

Leon Searcy vs. Todd Perry vs. Jamie Nails

I think it is almost a given Searcy will win this position, at this point. But, it is too early to tell. Also, if Dixon DOES make the move to Tackle, this becomes more interesting to see what happens at the LG spot. Do they move Perry to his more natural position, or do they keep him on the right side and let him battle it out with Searcy??

Ayanbadejo vs. Konrad

I know this is a newly developing story... and, although Konrad is clearly the frontrunner to win this position, you never know. Ayanbadejo has performed at a high level with a Super-Bowl winning team, and is about the same age as Konrad. He could turn out to be a BIG low-key pickup. I am just starting to get worried about the fact that we are running out of roster spots on offense. There is no way we will keep 4 RB's and 3 FB's ... so, somebody will be left out, unless 2 of them learn to be a special teams demon. Perhaps a couple of our Safety spots usually reserved for Special Teamers will get cut in favor of players on offense??

oh yeah I forgot RG which will be Searcy starting if he stays healthy with out a doubt..Perry might be cut if he Nails continues to impress..

Ayanbadejo was sign as an issurance if Konrad goes down early and also to play some special team.If he makes some good plays at special team might make the orster....

also, need to find some decent PRs and KRs; otherwise, nice summary minus :D

I don't like either one of our slated LT's....

M. Spriggs played well during pre-season, and during the first game last year, but I still have serious doubts that he'll be just as good this year. Even when he's good, he's average at best.....

LT B. Smith is a mess. I watched him during the mini-camps, and he looked nowhere near ready to compete full time. His chances of starting at LT are slim to none right now IMO....

LG is M. Dixons' position. If we end up moving him to LT, OG J. Nails will replace him. We don't really want to do that though....

C T. Ruddy MUST have a solid T.C....If he struggles, rookie S. McKinney will be right there behind him. I've heard very good things about McKinney thus far. T. Ruddys' job is basically "on the line".

RG T. Perry is in the same boat as T. Ruddy. L. Searcy will give him all he can handle, and I'm not so sure if T. Perry will be able measure up. He played horrible last season replacing K. Donnalley. He'll provide solid back-up material if he can't beat out L. Searcy though.....

RT T. Wade also needs to bounce back from his second year blues....He's a monster, and if he plays healthy, he's our second best OLman on the team....

Behind M. Spriggs, T. Wade, and B. Smith at the OT positions, we have absolutely noboby.....

The thing we do have going for us on offense this year isn't so much the players, but the coaches who will be working with them...

OL Coach T. Wise did more than something with nothing last season. He did much more than anybody expected with all of the injuries that occured. This season we're healthier{I THINK}. He should be able to get this OL back to, or very close to the one we saw in 2000...

OC N. Turner will also be able to keep this OL fresh with the diverse play calling he throws into his offensive game planning. The defenses lining up to face this offense can't rely on predictability anylonger....He'll have defenses guessing, and that will keep them honest, opening up the running and passing games respectively.....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

I see it a little different in some areas...the following battles heating up...

OL: Brent Smith vs. Marcus Spriggs vs. Mark Dixon vs. Jamie Nails....Can't break it down by position because bottom line is the best 5 OL will be on the field at all times. If Nails, Searcy, and Dixon are all head and shoulders above Smith and Spriggs, those are the three that will be on the field.

6th RB spot: Leonard Henry vs. Robert Edwards vs. Obafemi Ayanbadejo...the best special teamer may just win this spot. It looks likely with the Ayanbadejo signing that we'll roster 6 RBs instead of 5, and the breakdown COULD be 3 HB, 3 FB if Ayanbadejo makes a showing on special teams better than Henry or Edwards.

5th WR: Sam Simmons vs. Jeff Ogden...watch closely on this one.

Punter: Casey Roussell vs. Mark Royals...Royals has the edge because he managed to ingratiate himself with Olindo Mare which figures to be pretty key. If Roussell impresses enough though...

Dime CB: Trent Gamble vs Ray Green vs. Omare Lowe vs. Shawn Wooden. Arturo Freeman played it last year and did extremely well (check his stats for a Dime CB). Trent Gamble played it in 2000 and blanketed TEs very nicely. Ray Green is flashing all over the place in minicamps. Shawn Wooden has experience on his side. Omare Lowe was drafted specifically for this position. A very, very tight battle with the loser of the 3 possibly not getting a roster spot.

Passrush Positions: David Bowens vs Adewale Ogunleye vs Ernest Grant...I know this seems weird but both Jay Williams and Rob Burnett have the ability to move INSIDE in passrush situations and were both partly signed for that reason. Both will be in the passrush mix no matter what with Jason Taylor so the real question is, who gets the 4th spot? If D.Bo or A-O impress enough at DE then the coaches might play both J.W. and R.B. inside with J.T. outside and D.B. or A.O. also outside. However if Ernest Grant is impressive inside at penetration (I don't count Jermaine Haley, Larry Chester, or Tim Bowens because penetration certainly aint their thing) then Burnett might stay outside on pass downs.

Other than that I see the 3rd QB position and TE position pretty much the same as you guys do.

Originally posted by ckparrothead

Passrush Positions: David Bowens vs Adewale Ogunleye vs Ernest Grant...I know this seems weird but both Jay Williams and Rob Burnett have the ability to move INSIDE in passrush situations and were both partly signed for that reason. Both will be in the passrush mix no matter what with Jason Taylor so the real question is, who gets the 4th spot? If D.Bo or A-O impress enough at DE then the coaches might play both J.W. and R.B. inside with J.T. outside and D.B. or A.O. also outside. However if Ernest Grant is impressive inside at penetration (I don't count Jermaine Haley, Larry Chester, or Tim Bowens because penetration certainly aint their thing) then Burnett might stay outside on pass downs.

I don't know about you, but I don't beleive I have ever seen a defensive line, line up with FOUR Defensive Ends, in pass-rush situations. And although Williams and Burnett both have the ability to shift inside, only ONE of them will be doing it. Don't count out Jermaine Haley. Although he struggled last year (everyone did.) His specialty in 2000 was getting penetration from the inside. Also, from some tape I have watched on Chester, he seems to do a pretty good job getting penetration too. One of them will be in there on passing downs. You need to have some weight in there, so the line doesn't get pushed around... and someone needs to take up a couple blockers to allow the pass rushers to get in there.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I see it a little different in some areas...the following battles heating up...

OL: Brent Smith vs. Marcus Spriggs vs. Mark Dixon vs. Jamie Nails....Can't break it down by position because bottom line is the best 5 OL will be on the field at all times. If Nails, Searcy, and Dixon are all head and shoulders above Smith and Spriggs, those are the three that will be on the field.

6th RB spot: Leonard Henry vs. Robert Edwards vs. Obafemi Ayanbadejo...the best special teamer may just win this spot. It looks likely with the Ayanbadejo signing that we'll roster 6 RBs instead of 5, and the breakdown COULD be 3 HB, 3 FB if Ayanbadejo makes a showing on special teams better than Henry or Edwards.

5th WR: Sam Simmons vs. Jeff Ogden...watch closely on this one.

Punter: Casey Roussell vs. Mark Royals...Royals has the edge because he managed to ingratiate himself with Olindo Mare which figures to be pretty key. If Roussell impresses enough though...

Dime CB: Trent Gamble vs Ray Green vs. Omare Lowe vs. Shawn Wooden. Arturo Freeman played it last year and did extremely well (check his stats for a Dime CB). Trent Gamble played it in 2000 and blanketed TEs very nicely. Ray Green is flashing all over the place in minicamps. Shawn Wooden has experience on his side. Omare Lowe was drafted specifically for this position. A very, very tight battle with the loser of the 3 possibly not getting a roster spot.

Other than that I see the 3rd QB position and TE position pretty much the same as you guys do.

Offensive line I still think Wanstead would rather see at LT Smith or Spriggs.Is going to come down on Smith and Spriggs footwork..I'm hoping to see Dixon play LT so that Nails could play LG...The sound of having Wade and Nails on the left side just might do wonders on the running game....

As for Rb....I don't see why they will carry 3 full backs and I really doubt Obafemi Ayanbadejo makes the team unless early injury to Konrad.Leornard Henry might be fielding punts during camp..It will come down to Robert Edwards and Obafemi Ayanbadejo.I think Wanstead will keep Edwards around.....

Good analysis, the only comment I have is that, if Bowens or Ogunleye with the LE job, IMO it won't be the "feel good story of the year...."

Hey i am kinda new to this online forum and i was wondering what is IMO?

I have seen teams line up 4 defensive ends in obvious pass downs before, seen it plenty of times too. It all depends on the personnel. Normally we wouldn't because well, we've got Daryl Gardener playing defensive tackle for us and his specialty really IS getting penetration and being unblockable. We TALKED about the possibility of Tim Bowens staying in on pass downs one year but that certainly never happened.

It wouldn't even be the first time the Dolphins have lined up 4 DEs on pass downs. In 2000 when DG went down with the back injury we regularly lined up Trace Armstrong, Kenny Mixon, Lorenzo Brommell, and Jason Taylor on the same DL during obvious pass downs. LoBro played inside.

Penetration is certainly not what I would call Jermaine Haley's specialty after watching him play for a couple of seasons. Just because he safetied Antowain Smith one game it doesn't mean he did it because he got penetration he was just disciplined and unblocked. Larry Chester was not signed for his penetration abilities either. Rob Burnett and Jay Williams both have experience playing inside. I would not be surprised at all to see them both inside on obvious pass downs.

Back
Top Bottom