Am I the only one that cringes at EVERY single trade up scenario ? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Am I the only one that cringes at EVERY single trade up scenario ?

Nope, because without a QB, you’re dead in the water. All of those shiny picks mean absolutely nothing if you don’t have the most important position settled. When you have a QB, you have the luxury of letting the draft come to you. Miami hasn’t had the luxury in over 20 years.
This. I don't necessarily WANT to trade 2 1st rounders, but if that's what it takes to have a go at a potentially elite QB then sign me the **** up.

FWIW......I just saw a mock with us trading up to #2 for tua and the cost was the 39th pick(our 1st pick in the 2nd round) and the 70th pick(our 3rd round pick. I'm not one for moving up but that's not bad considering we'd still have our other 2 picks in the first round plus we'd still have a 2nd round pick. If we do well in free agency then I could be on board with this. Not saying the skins would make that deal but just passing it along.

Well that’s a no brainer. Clearly a fan who has ok concept of draft pick value though.

Washington would be nuts to do that.

"Don't let the media and stupid fans and their obsession with certain players alter your decision making. Do your job."

Do you really think the FO is basing their plans on what fans and media think? I kinda doubt it.

Just because Jeff Ireland failed in a trade up scenario 7 years go, it does not mean you should never trade up again for the remainder of history. That's like saying "well, we suck at drafting offensive linemen so we should never draft one again". Doesn't make sense.

"We have many holes to plug and our front office worked hard to acquire the draft picks necessary to plug those holes"

Do you really think the FO traded high quality players just so they would be forced to use draft resources on players at the same position? You do it so you have the ammo to get the most prized possession in all of sports. A QB.

FWIW......I just saw a mock with us trading up to #2 for tua and the cost was the 39th pick(our 1st pick in the 2nd round) and the 70th pick(our 3rd round pick. I'm not one for moving up but that's not bad considering we'd still have our other 2 picks in the first round plus we'd still have a 2nd round pick. If we do well in free agency then I could be on board with this. Not saying the skins would make that deal but just passing it along.

If that was the cost, I might consider that. But I think that seems cheap compared to past moves up doesn’t it? That seems like bargain basement costing. I’m not a fan of trading up, but that might be too good to turn down.

I doubt you’re the only person that does anything.

Nope, because without a QB, you’re dead in the water. All of those shiny picks mean absolutely nothing if you don’t have the most important position settled. When you have a QB, you have the luxury of letting the draft come to you. Miami hasn’t had the luxury in over 20 years.

So.... let's give all those shiny picks to another team (who really should be drafting the next best thing since sliced bread) and stand with a new shiny QB and our diks in our hand because we have no more talent (probably less) than we had last season except at QB ... where we have "generational" "all world" talent but he can't really play yet ... or maybe ever ... or maybe for a little while ...

Geez, give it a rest ... at least let the combine and FA play out before we put our horses before the carts ...

This HC has made it clear he can win with lesser talent ... so if someone else grabs the "messiah" we will face him and as my Aunt Doris used to say ... what will be will be .... but we will be competitive unlike the last several years when we either looked lost or pathetic ... and at times, both ...

WE will contend for the AFC East THIS SEASON .... then we will see what happens ... :munch:

Exactly. Look at the 49ers. They are basically the same team as last season. Last season with no QB they go 4 - 12. QB comes back(and he's not even considered elite) and they get to the super bowl.

We can aquire all the picks we want and keep drafting BPA. Until you get a real QB you are just pissing in the wind.

Yea, let's just let the rest of the NFL determine who we grab. Let them move and trade and draft whoever, and we'll just kindly take whoever is left after they're done making intentional efforts to improve their roster. Who doesn't love the passive approach?

Why would we trade up to take advantage of our top pick position in order to acquire an elite prospect at the most valuable position in sports? Us stupid fans should know better.

So.... let's give all those shiny picks to another team (who really should be drafting the next best thing since sliced bread) and stand with a new shiny QB and our diks in our hand because we have no more talent (probably less) than we had last season except at QB ... where we have "generational" "all world" talent but he can't really play yet ... or maybe ever ... or maybe for a little while ...

Geez, give it a rest ... at least let the combine and FA play out before we put our horses before the carts ...

This HC has made it clear he can win with lesser talent ... so if someone else grabs the "messiah" we will face him and as my Aunt Doris used to say ... what will be will be .... but we will be competitive unlike the last several years when we either looked lost or pathetic ... and at times, both ...

WE will contend for the AFC East THIS SEASON .... then we will see what happens ... :munch:

If that’s what it takes to get our QB, then yes. Give them all those shiny picks.

For all of us who want to draft Tua, or another QB for that matter, we obviously would prefer to stay at 5 and get him there. The truth is, is that we will likely have to trade up to take him. That’s the harsh reality of the draft. If it takes either of our other 1st round picks this year and a 2nd, that’s not that bad.
For those of you who want to pass on QB until next year, as it stands, the top two expected QBs to be in next years draft are Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence. Assuming we aren’t picking 1st next year, does anyone think that the team picking first would consider trading back and pass on Lawrence? Does anyone think Indianapolis even listened to offers when they had the #1 pick and were in position to draft Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning? The answer is no. Let’s say we pick #12 and #17 next year. We would have to trade much more than we would this year to be in a position to draft one of the top QBs.
That’s why if you are within striking distance of taking a perceived franchise QB, you do what it takes.

I don't cringe at all.

There will be a need to move up...that is the cost of winning games, I don't have a issue with the Dolphins winning games, I differ from some in that respect, but I think the Dolphins winning and showing towards the end of the season is why Tua is more OK with going to the phins then other teams.

The price will be high because the move up is for a QB that is liked by a lot of people. Tua is not only the most talented passer, he is also a person people will gravitate towards. He will easily become the face of the franchise...people just love the kid as a person.

What would I be willing to give up...all their first this year and 1 next year...I'd still do it. One it doesn't sacrifice the future of the franchise as we will still have all the "regular picks" only giving up the extra we got for Tunsil and Minkah. Two, we still have a ton of extra picks, granted they are not those late firsts anymore, but we saw this staff get competent play out of dudes undrafted, I would expect them to get above-average play out of draftable players, even if those players are mid-round picks. Three, QB is easily worth 4 players, an unknown QB is easily worth 4 unknown players we could draft.

I understand the desire to keep as many picks as possible, and I don't disagree, but as I have argued before, a late first position player is going to do little to move this forward if the QB position is "settled" by a guy we kinda like.

Teams that go on to compete and have the chance to experience greatness, are the ones who make bold moves...having the front office play to win, instead of playing not to lose would be a nice change.

I still believe the organization acquired all these pick just so they can have the ammo to outbid anyone if they were in a situation to move up.

Last edited:
I don't cringe at all.

There will be a need to move up...that is the cost of winning games, I don't have a issue with the Dolphins winning games, I differ from some in that respect, but I think the Dolphins winning and showing towards the end of the season is why Tua is more OK with going to the phins then other teams.

The price will be high because the move up is for a QB that is liked by a lot of people. Tua is not only the most talented passer, he is also a person people will gravitate towards. He will easily become the face of the franchise...people just love the kid as a person.

What would I be willing to give up...all there first this year and 1 next year...I'd still do it. One it doesn't sacrifice the future of the franchise as we will still have all the "regular picks" only giving up the extra we got for Tunsil and Minkah. Two, we still have a ton of extra picks, granted they are not those late firsts anymore, but we saw this staff get competent play out of dudes undrafted, I would expect them to get above-average play out of draftable players, even if those players are mid-round picks. Three, QB is easily worth 4 players, an unknown QB is easily worth 4 unknown players we could draft.

I understand the desire to keep as many picks as possible, and I don't disagree, but as I have argued before, a late first position player is going to do little to move this forward if the QB position is "settled" by a guy we kinda like.

Teams that go on to compete and have the chance to experience greatness, are the ones who make bold moves...having the front office play to win, instead of playing not to lose would be a nice change.

I still believe the organization acquired all these pick just so they can have the ammo to outbid anyone if they were in a situation to move up.
Exactly! Hell even if they give up all 3 1st, they still have 2x 2nds this year plus their regular picks, 2x 1st and 2x 2nds next year plus their regular picks and close to a 100M in cap space... If Grier cant build a solid foundation with all of that, Tua's hip is the least of our problems...

I don't cringe at all.

What would I be willing to give up...all there first this year and 1 next year...I'd still do it. One it doesn't sacrifice the future of the franchise as we will still have all the "regular picks" only giving up the extra we got for Tunsil and Minkah. Two, we still have a ton of extra picks, granted they are not those late firsts anymore, but we saw this staff get competent play out of dudes undrafted, I would expect them to get above-average play out of draftable players, even if those players are mid-round picks. Three, QB is easily worth 4 players, an unknown QB is easily worth 4 unknown players we could draft.

Grier played the situation perfectly, he got tons of capital to give the organization flexibility, if they totally sucked they got the top pick, likely a QB at 1 then a ton of other picks to build up the roster. If the guy he hired (FLO) can coach his ass off develop a culture and develop a limited roster to wins that pushes them out of the top pick then he has the resources to go get the player he wants to start building around at the most valuable position. Knowing the rest will fall into place because the coaching staff can develop whomever is sent to them.

Flo has a strong scouting background, dont think he isnt in there with Grier, Allen and McKenzie making decisions.

If that was the cost, I might consider that. But I think that seems cheap compared to past moves up doesn’t it? That seems like bargain basement costing. I’m not a fan of trading up, but that might be too good to turn down.

Lol. “I might consider it”

washingtons dumb as a box of rocks if they take that

Back
Top Bottom