Am I the only one that cringes at EVERY single trade up scenario ? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Am I the only one that cringes at EVERY single trade up scenario ?

I dont want to trade up... but let's be real.

If we finally land a franchise QB, it doesn't matter the cost.

For all of us who want to draft Tua, or another QB for that matter, we obviously would prefer to stay at 5 and get him there. The truth is, is that we will likely have to trade up to take him. That’s the harsh reality of the draft. If it takes either of our other 1st round picks this year and a 2nd, that’s not that bad.
For those of you who want to pass on QB until next year, as it stands, the top two expected QBs to be in next years draft are Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence. Assuming we aren’t picking 1st next year, does anyone think that the team picking first would consider trading back and pass on Lawrence? Does anyone think Indianapolis even listened to offers when they had the #1 pick and were in position to draft Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning? The answer is no. Let’s say we pick #12 and #17 next year. We would have to trade much more than we would this year to be in a position to draft one of the top QBs.
That’s why if you are within striking distance of taking a perceived franchise QB, you do what it takes.

:nap:

I wonder if the Mods can offer a new award next year for most redundant poster? :out:

Grier played the situation perfectly, he got tons of capital to give the organization flexibility, if they totally sucked they got the top pick, likely a QB at 1 then a ton of other picks to build up the roster. If the guy he hired (FLO) can coach his *** off develop a culture and develop a limited roster to wins that pushes them out of the top pick then he has the resources to go get the player he wants to start building around at the most valuable position. Knowing the rest will fall into place because the coaching staff can develop whomever is sent to them.

Flo has a strong scouting background, dont think he isnt in there with Grier, Allen and McKenzie making decisions.

All those guys were in there with Grier last year and still managed to somehow hand pick Michael Deiter and Isaiah Prince out of a loaded offensive line class. You'll have to forgive me for not subscribing to this theory that all is well.

It's time somebody with some confidence got in there and pushed all these "safe drafting" job savers out of the way and showed 'em how to take risks worth taking. I honestly think some of the people that have been running the Dolphins for years post on this site. They're afraid of their own shadow. You can't build a winner like that.

As I've said before, if the bottom line is between taking a chance on a quarterback like Tua and some receivers vs. Chris Grier and a barrel full of 1st round picks - give me Tua and some receivers every time. I'll take my chances winning with that.

Counting on Chris Grier and some draft picks isn't risky. It's retarded.

If Tua goes at #3, I would rather trade down from #5 with a team desperate to pick up Justin Herbert and add more 2021 picks that can go into a package for Trevor Lawrence.

FWIW......I just saw a mock with us trading up to #2 for tua and the cost was the 39th pick(our 1st pick in the 2nd round) and the 70th pick(our 3rd round pick. I'm not one for moving up but that's not bad considering we'd still have our other 2 picks in the first round plus we'd still have a 2nd round pick. If we do well in free agency then I could be on board with this. Not saying the skins would make that deal but just passing it along.

That mock is brain dead. Washington is not giving up the most valuable trade position and the guarantee of drafting Chase Young for 150 points less than the second pick is worth. With other teams trying to jump into the top 3 for a quarterback, we're going to have to give up #18 and one of next year's day-2 picks to win the bidding.

All those guys were in there with Grier last year and still managed to somehow hand pick Michael Deiter and Isaiah Prince out of a loaded offensive line class. You'll have to forgive me for not subscribing to this theory that all is well.

It's time somebody with some confidence got in there and pushed all these "safe drafting" job savers out of the way and showed 'em how to take risks worth taking. I honestly think some of the people that have been running the Dolphins for years post on this site. They're afraid of their own shadow. You can't build a winner like that.

As I've said before, if the bottom line is between taking a chance on a quarterback like Tua and some receivers vs. Chris Grier and a barrel full of 1st round picks - give me Tua and some receivers every time. I'll take my chances winning with that.

Counting on Chris Grier and some draft picks isn't risky. It's retarded.

I agree to some extent; Allen and McKenzie were hired at a decent point to help the process, Flo was hired super late because he was in the Super Bowl and then had to piece together a staff. I think with a full cycle you will see better results. Especially now that the idea of how Flo wants a roster constructed and what type of guys will work best is far more established. I think mistakes last year were made but I only suggest that notion based off hindsight. And I am an advocate of trading to #2, QB rules all and you need one if there is any hope to get out of mediocrity. Even if it cost you #5,18 and 56 you still have lots of picks in the first 2 days to continue to build but most importantly you would have at least taken a chance to be great by assuring you get one of the top 2 QBs and likely the best QB talent seen in a number of years.

… and yet he's been involved for 20ish years and fans are still following the team …. weird
I dont know about you, but overall team success isnt why any of us are still following the team... I dont know why tbh, but it sure as hell aint success.

Lol. “I might consider it”

washingtons dumb as a box of rocks if they take that
I don’t think Washington moves from Chase Young. The only way they are guaranteed Chase Young is to stay at 2.

The draft starts with the Lions at Pick #3.
I love Okudah - think he is flat out best non QB in the draft - he is also a great fit from value/ need perspective for Lions.
Okudah IMO is so good that if I’m Detroit I want my cake and eat it too.

Trading down 1-2 spots for an additional 1st this year. Grab Okudah. Take a WR end of rd1 - that team isn’t bad on paper.

Back
Top Bottom