Am I the only one that cringes at EVERY single trade up scenario ? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Am I the only one that cringes at EVERY single trade up scenario ?

I cringe too. But even if they plan on staying put it’s smart to have discussions about trading up so they know the ballpark asking price. Then, when one of these teams comes to them and gives them the option to top another team’s trade up offer, they’ll know better whether they are being bluffed or not.

1. Not if … he did … and yes he can with a shiny new QB also … but I am not in step with giving up so much without a better assurance of health … unless you're thinking Burrow … either way I believe Coach Flo can get the most out of whomever is there at 5 AND have his picks to build with.... no contradiction intended ... I believe Flo could get the most out of either situation ... I don't see a prospect out there that I would give up my resources for when I could get better traction and a faster start with the one I pick at 5

2. Haven't forgotten about the picks in 2021 ... the future isn't guaranteed ... the past is a history lesson ... I deal with the present and when I open the present I expect it to work out of the box

3. Nope. Haven't forgotten about the money ... nor have I forgotten how easily it's gone and tied up with "so called" players that splashed on one team only to get paid and lay down ... I find gems in the draft and fill holes in FA with cautious optimism … probably (not necessarily exclusively) with more focus on the lines than skill positions

Thanks for the response ... I will support whatever my team does ... win or lose ... still a fan ... but if they call and ask me I hope they are open to listening lol
It seems like your opposition to the idea of Tua or whoever we trade up for is WHAT it takes to get them.

Since neither of us know the compensation at this point, our difference of opinion lies in how much we'd be willing to give up.

If it took our #5 and #26 to get up to 2 or 3 then I'm on board, if it took #5, #18 and #26 then I am absolutely bummed but I really do think Tua is a chance worth taking so I still make that deal (Though I don't think there's any possibility of that being the asking price for 2-3 spots).

What makes me cringe is trading away Tunsil and Fitzpatrick and just drafting their replacements in the first round and hoping they are 80% the players those guys are. What makes me cringe is going through last season and then going into this season with a 38 year old QB and a backup that has a 55 career passer rating. Go get the QB. Just get the most important position on the team nailed down and all of last year will be easier to take.

What's more plausible? Grier hits on an elite QB that's basically staring him in the face or that he hits on all 98 picks we got this draft? I dont think Grier is capable of manufacturing a 49ers or vikings type team. Even if he is able to its such a short window to get a championship without a top 10 QB.

Trading down is the worst thing this team could do with the 5th pick. Just making it harder on Grier. I think Grier needs lay ups. Plus if we trade back what are gonna do with 15-16 picks? Not all of them are gonna make the team. Hell if we keep all 13 picks right now, I dont think they all make the team. Even with this **** roster we have.

What makes me cringe is trading away Tunsil and Fitzpatrick and just drafting their replacements in the first round and hoping they are 80% the players those guys are. What makes me cringe is going through last season and then going into this season with a 38 year old QB and a backup that has a 55 career passer rating. Go get the QB. Just get the most important position on the team nailed down and all of last year will be easier to take.

What's more plausible? Grier hits on an elite QB that's basically staring him in the face or that he hits on all 98 picks we got this draft? I dont think Grier is capable of manufacturing a 49ers or vikings type team. Even if he is able to its such a short window to get a championship without a top 10 QB.

Let's say, hypothetically, Herbert is thier guy.

Do you still feel the same way about paying whatever it takes?

Let's say, hypothetically, Herbert is thier guy.

Do you still feel the same way about paying whatever it takes?

"Whatever it takes" probably needs to be defined but either way I am not trading up for Herbert. I dont think you need to trade up for Herbert. I think he will be there at 5. Tua on the other hand, I think it will become obvious a trade up is needed. I'm willing to move assets for him.

If herbert is their guy, it really doenst matter at that point anyway. They have chit the bed.

Nothing wrong with waiting for the RIGHT QB. We thought we had that in Duante Culpepper over Brees at one time, didn't we? I'd prefer to NOT make that mistake again, if we can avoid it.

I don't think so. I remember ripping the Dolphins a new one about the Culpepper trade over on the old DolphinsDigest forums. A lot of people were leary of that move over Brees and voiced it loudly - but as usual most just didn't want to hear the negativity. I'm sure it was the same way on here back then. Some of those threads are probably still accessible. I remember reading 'em a decade ago.

Miami has passed up the right quarterback every time one was there. There are no sure things.

The only sure thing is that you miss out on the right QB when you're afraid to take chances. If you look at most of the top QB's in the league, they are the one's teams had to take the biggest risks on.
It's nearly impossible to value shop for the right quarterback. Most of the time you're going to get what you pay for - especially if you're Miami.

Miami used to invest in quarterbacks to backup Marino that were better than anything Miami has acquired in 20 years.

"Whatever it takes" probably needs to be defined but either way I am not trading up for Herbert. I dont think you need to trade up for Herbert. I think he will be there at 5. Tua on the other hand, I think it will become obvious a trade up is needed. I'm willing to move assets for him.

If herbert is their guy, it really doenst matter at that point anyway. They have chit the bed.
That's what I thought.

Your whole diatribe is based on your love of a specific player, not some grand overall philosophy.

That's fine. I get it, but don't make it out to be something it isn't.

You don't mean do what it takes to get THIER guy.

You mean do what it takes to get YOUR guy.

I'm not against moving up, in theory, depending on the player and situation.

In this case, I don't see that player, nor are we in a situation where a player or two is going to make us a contender.

It's one thing to "miss" on a high pick. Missing while trading away multiple high picks is another thing.

With our picks, and $ for free agents, we are in a position to be set up for sustainable success. We need to be prudent about it.

There’s the rub.

It’s hard enough hitting on a player when they are healthy. Who knows what these kids will do in the NFL? Now add a big time injury to the equation.

Also, doesn’t the odds of us hitting on a star player exponentially increase when you are taking 3 of the best 32? I mean, if Grier can’t hit on 1 of 3 first rounders, it’ll be evident that he’s gotta go.

If the injury didn’t occur, I wouldn’t be happy giving up a ransom but I’d be proud of this organization for nutting up and going to get their QB.

And everyone swears Tua is not going to fall. What does anyone know? How far did a healthy Rodgers fall?

We’ll have to wait until he starts throwing, attends the combine, has a pro day but I truly believe there’s a good chance he might fall. Then, we’d have to roll the dice.

That's what I thought.

Your whole diatribe is based on your love of a specific player, not some grand overall philosophy.

That's fine. I get it, but don't make it out to be something it isn't.

You don't mean do what it takes to get THIER guy.

You mean do what it takes to get YOUR guy.

That doesn't make any sense. You make it sound like you cornered me and popped holes in my theory. Of course I dont want to trade up for a QB that I dont think I have to trade up for. That would not make sense. I think you will have to trade up for Tua because he's seen in the eyes of most as the better QB. I want the better QB. Go get the QB is my whole idea.

I feel the same way when it comes to giving away high picks. If moving up two spots would cost us a 4th round pick or maybe even a 3rd round pick I'd not mind it but this is one year when at last we have some high picks so it's hard to give those away but at the end of the day, it's not up to anybody here on this site. We'll just have to wait and see what the FO/HC do.

Agree. I'll hold my breathe and make a minimal trade. Not giving major assets

It seems like your opposition to the idea of Tua or whoever we trade up for is WHAT it takes to get them.

Not opposed to Tua if he clears medical (but not confident a healed broken hip will be able to withstand the punishment long term ... will have to trust the doctors on that)

I'm opposed to giving up any assets on the gamble ... because of the lack of talent across the board .... even if Burrow is the target I still would rather take a QB at 5 and build the team

Given the circumstances (medical on Tua and no long term track record on Burrow) I don't see a talent worth the gamble IMO

I will support the team, regardless, with the confidence of a HC that has shown he expects a certain level from players and coaches alike and will move on to plan B if/when necessary

:dead:
And please tell me, behind what OL are we playing Tua?

Because not only do the zealots want to trade up but they want him to start year 1. I mean, how crazy could you possibly be?

Let’s throw the restructured hip into the same situation Fitzpatrick was in last year. How many times did we have to see Fitz start running for his life right from the snap?

That’s the situation you want to put a rookie coming off of an injury in? Behind that OL? Are you smoking crack and can I have some?

Tua's my pick only if he's there at 5. If someone moves up to get him, good for them. I don't want to give away our picks to go get him (only because of his injury history). I'll wait and hope for Lawrence next year or pick another guy later this draft.
I love how with no Dr’s knowing yet, no teams knowing yet, Tua’s false confidence he has to project, no work outs since injury, etc... Tua is the pick at number 5 or even trading our draft, team and future to move up to get him because we have a zillion huge holes and as Dolphins fans we have our pick because why? Who here has been to the future and back besides dude in Back to the Future II? If you are him, get in touch with me because I want to be a trillionaire too in the future on sports gambling. Simple fact is until he is cleared with faith in his future health, not talent, he is a flyer in the late rounds at best to me.

Back
Top Bottom