Am I the only one that cringes at EVERY single trade up scenario ? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Am I the only one that cringes at EVERY single trade up scenario ?

I think the league is changing, draft a qb and you get a chance at a cheap option at your most important position. It is all hit or miss. However ,it seems that veteran qbs have priced themselves out of many teams. Brees,Brady ,Stafford,etc all could be moving this off season. They all have a resume. You know what you are getting. If there is a qb you love at your draft position take him. If not build team and plug in a good veteran

Can't say I'm any more confident about high draft pick OBs, either. Highly picked QB don't seem to benefit teams any more than highly paid free agents do. However, I'd love to be pleasantly surprised. I'm hoping we have a better plan and more effective evaluations this time.
While paying for a FA QB will somewhat lessen the risk factor [you do have alot more info on how the QB performs in the NFL], the difference in cap space could be as much as 60M per for the duration of the contract...

This is just way too much of a difference to simply ignore it...
I don't think so. I remember ripping the Dolphins a new one about the Culpepper trade over on the old DolphinsDigest forums.
DolphinsDigest... That was my intro to message boards back in the days... Dont know what UN you had over there but you might be the only one here who could figure out what NBP stands for....
I'm opposed to giving up any assets on the gamble ... because of the lack of talent across the board ....
100M in cap space, 5x 1st round picks, 4x 2nd round picks and 3x 3rd round picks plus all regular picks in the next 2 years.... What are you afraid of? I'll tell you what... Grier... With all those assets, people are still terrified that Grier is going to screw it up... If the strategy is sound and the GM sucks, change the GM, not the strategy.
And please tell me, behind what OL are we playing Tua?
See the paragraph before this one... But long story short, There's plenty.... PLENTY of assets to surround the QB with whatever you like... If the GM cant pull it off with all of that, time to shop for a GM...

I have no desire to move up unless it is for Burrow and that isn’t happening because the Bengals are drafting him. Tua is a huge question mark because he is injury prone and while I have no problem with them taking him at 5, I don’t want them to use draft picks to move up to take him.

There is no other player in the draft I would move up for in the top 10. Once they make their pick at five, I can see them possibly moving down with their other two picks in the first round in an effort to get more picks this year and in 2021.

FWIW......I just saw a mock with us trading up to #2 for tua and the cost was the 39th pick(our 1st pick in the 2nd round) and the 70th pick(our 3rd round pick. I'm not one for moving up but that's not bad considering we'd still have our other 2 picks in the first round plus we'd still have a 2nd round pick. If we do well in free agency then I could be on board with this. Not saying the skins would make that deal but just passing it along.
I don’t see that trade happening but if Washington were to trade out of the 2 spot with the Dolphins, I think it would take the 5th pick, one of the other first round picks and likely a second round pick at the very least.
I would not make that trade.

See the paragraph before this one... But long story short, There's plenty.... PLENTY of assets to surround the QB with whatever you like... If the GM cant pull it off with all of that, time to shop for a GM...

That's more than sensible. So you're with me that if we do draft Tua he should sit for a year regardless of him looking like the better QB in TC?

There's no way he should be the crash test dummy while we see if the OL is working well or not.

That's more than sensible. So you're with me that if we do draft Tua he should sit for a year regardless of him looking like the better QB in TC?

There's no way he should be the crash test dummy while we see if the OL is working well or not.
At this point in time, Im perfectly fine with that... Though I got this gut feeling that he's going to be cleared for contact before TC... And to be clear, its nothing more than a gut feeling.

So we are gonna wait to draft a QB until Grier builds an oline? Could be a long wait.

That's true. And we can't afford to wait that long.

Look, man, I would've been more than proud of this organization for making a big move if not for the injury. The injury is the X factor here and it was a really bad injury. That's why they call it a freak accident. And our only point of reference, the only example (that I know of) we have is Bo Jackson who only lasted 3 years after his surgery in an non contact sport.

I wouldn't want to sell the farm for Burrow either but that's the guy if it's me making the pick. I'd sit and look for a diamond in the rough in the second. Or I'd trade down for Hebert.

And here's the thing, if they are trading up to 2, it means that they are satisfied with either Tua or Burrow- whichever one falls.

What makes my testicles burn (other than that 'ol college STD) is that for far too many, it HAS to be a QB we haven't even seen yet after the surgery. They are so blinded by the light (reved up like a deuce) that they can't even look in the mirror and recognize the crazy in that. In that we haven't even seen the guy move nor throw and... they don't care. I mean, it's insanity.

In that we haven't even seen the guy move nor throw and... they don't care. I mean, it's insanity.
Going by the information we have now... We will indeed, see him move and throw before the draft... I mean, we have already seen him throw a football...

I don't think so. I remember ripping the Dolphins a new one about the Culpepper trade over on the old DolphinsDigest forums. A lot of people were leary of that move over Brees and voiced it loudly - but as usual most just didn't want to hear the negativity. I'm sure it was the same way on here back then. Some of those threads are probably still accessible. I remember reading 'em a decade ago.

Miami has passed up the right quarterback every time one was there. There are no sure things.

The only sure thing is that you miss out on the right QB when you're afraid to take chances. If you look at most of the top QB's in the league, they are the one's teams had to take the biggest risks on.
It's nearly impossible to value shop for the right quarterback. Most of the time you're going to get what you pay for - especially if you're Miami.

Miami used to invest in quarterbacks to backup Marino that were better than anything Miami has acquired in 20 years.

They took a chance on Duante and lost. From what I've read about the situation then, and with hindsight, at the time, he had the better health outlook and similar upside to Brees. Also, Culpepper had actually proven he could be effective and win in the NFL, while Brees had not. I think Saban has proven many times over he was no dumby throughout his career?

At this point in time, Im perfectly fine with that... Though I got this gut feeling that he's going to be cleared for contact before TC... And to be clear, its nothing more than a gut feeling.

Even if he's cleared, man, even if the surgery was a complete success, there's no way on Gods green earth that I'd start him year 1.

Give him another year to further heal, further learn, and worst case scenario we find out we do have a solid oline, you can sit Fitz and have Tua come in.

Going by the information we have now... We will indeed, see him move and throw before the draft... I mean, we have already seen him throw a football...

Ok. Great. Now we're being sensible. Let's see the kid first before we have a civil war for him.

Even if he's cleared, man, even if the surgery was a complete success, there's no way on Gods green earth that I'd start him year 1.

Give him another year to further heal, further learn, and worst case scenario we find out we do have a solid oline, you can sit Fitz and have Tua come in.
I agree, that'd be the perfect scenario.

Those trade up scenarios make me want to puke. It's a real slap in the face to all the tough times we've been through in the last year plus. I focused on the solace that we were building a war chest to rebuild this team in an epic fashion and really stock the cupboard with talent for once. We won utterly meaningless games against Cinccinnati and honestly, even the Patriots win. We should have earned the 2nd overall spot ... but exactly like how we blew the Suck for Luck sweepstakes, we took a clear pole position in the draft and frittered it away with meaningless wins once we were out of contention for any playoff spot. That is bad coaching. If we do not build a juggernaut, then the coach needs to be held accountable, because the resources were given.

Don't trade up. Use the picks in the spots we have them. We can fill this roster with more talent than anyone in the AFC, and as long as our coaching staff doesn't suck, we'll be very good and contend for winning the AFC East and the entire AFC based on the drafts of 2020 and 2021. If we piss them away trading up ... then everything gets undermined.

No, you're not the only one who cringes every time you hear about trading up @BeatCrazy2 . Me personally, I feel like puking every time I hear it.

While paying for a FA QB will somewhat lessen the risk factor [you do have alot more info on how the QB performs in the NFL], the difference in cap space could be as much as 60M per for the duration of the contract...

This is just way too much of a difference to simply ignore it...

DolphinsDigest... That was my intro to message boards back in the days... Dont know what UN you had over there but you might be the only one here who could figure out what NBP stands for....

100M in cap space, 5x 1st round picks, 4x 2nd round picks and 3x 3rd round picks plus all regular picks in the next 2 years.... What are you afraid of? I'll tell you what... Grier... With all those assets, people are still terrified that Grier is going to screw it up... If the strategy is sound and the GM sucks, change the GM, not the strategy.

Not ignoring it at all. But if the high pick QB is found by our evaluators to not be worth the time and value we would need to put into him, then maybe the FA QB is the better bet? You can't ignore that either, can you?

Last edited:
Value of #2 pick Chase Young will cost more then 2 number 1s. A pass rusher that is rated higher than nick boss. Saints traded 2 number ones a couple a years ago to draft Davenport DE in the middle of the first round. Compare that to Chase young, the greatest DE to come out of Ohio State ever and heisman candidate.
#3 Detroit will draft a QB
#4 Possible trade up again but less capital involved. May cost a #2 pick just to move uo one spot.

Back
Top Bottom