Am I the only one that cringes at EVERY single trade up scenario ? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Am I the only one that cringes at EVERY single trade up scenario ?

Not ignoring it at all. But if the high pick QB is found by our evaluators to not be worth the time and value we would need to put into him, then maybe the FA QB is the better bet? You can't ignore that either, can you?
The difference in cap space between having a rookie QB starting vs a FA is around 60M per for the duration of the contract. In other words, having the rookie, in theory, could allow you to have a starting OL with an average 12M per/starters. Of course, this is just for conversation sake, Im merely illustrating my point.

Don't trade up. Use the picks in the spots we have them. We can fill this roster with more talent than anyone in the AFC, and as long as our coaching staff doesn't suck, we'll be very good and contend for winning the AFC East and the entire AFC based on the drafts of 2020 and 2021. If we piss them away trading up ... then everything gets undermined.

No, you're not the only one who cringes every time you hear about trading up @BeatCrazy2 . Me personally, I feel like puking every time I hear it.

:hclap:

I agree. It's also trading up for a guy with a MAJOR injury!! Who does that??
Apparently, about half of the members here, and some mock draft "gurus".

I don't see it, but love for a specific player + decades of suffering desperation can have an effect on the viewpoint.

Those trade up scenarios make me want to puke. It's a real slap in the face to all the tough times we've been through in the last year plus. I focused on the solace that we were building a war chest to rebuild this team in an epic fashion and really stock the cupboard with talent for once. We won utterly meaningless games against Cinccinnati and honestly, even the Patriots win. We should have earned the 2nd overall spot ... but exactly like how we blew the Suck for Luck sweepstakes, we took a clear pole position in the draft and frittered it away with meaningless wins once we were out of contention for any playoff spot. That is bad coaching. If we do not build a juggernaut, then the coach needs to be held accountable, because the resources were given.

Don't trade up. Use the picks in the spots we have them. We can fill this roster with more talent than anyone in the AFC, and as long as our coaching staff doesn't suck, we'll be very good and contend for winning the AFC East and the entire AFC based on the drafts of 2020 and 2021. If we piss them away trading up ... then everything gets undermined.

No, you're not the only one who cringes every time you hear about trading up @BeatCrazy2 . Me personally, I feel like puking every time I hear it.
I agree about the meaningless wins in that it may hurt us in the coming draft.
But the NFL is built around 3 major components to winning: QB, HC & Owner.
The HC flashed some last year- so those wins - well maybe they aren’t meaningless.
The Owner doesn’t mind spending & Miami provides a top 5 location in league given weather- taxes- opportunity etc.
Now it’s time to get the QB. It’s a QB league - if you have to give up an extra pick or 2 you do it.
You know why? Because the Bosas and the Garrett’s as dominant as they may be- aren’t the end all. The QB IS.
Yes we have to put together an OL and improve certain areas but you need the QB.

Nope, because without a QB, you’re dead in the water.

How many times and in how many threads are you going to regurgitate this same false narrative?

As I said in one of the other threads, football is the ultimate team sport. Building a well balanced team matters. The ’other’ positions matter.

Yes, it would be nice to draft the next Aaron Rodgers. But look how much GB has underachieved because they can’t surround their elite QB with enough talent.

Same thing happened with our Dolphins during the Marino era. They HAD the QB yet were largely “dead in the water”.

Meanwhile SF and TENN both threatened to win the SB this season with Jimmy Garoppolo and Ryan Tannehill.

The Dolphins can find a QB like them in more than one way. @BeatCrazy2 is spot on in saying that they have many options besides panicking and trading away draft picks.

They can get a QB at 5. Or 18. Or in round 2. Or via free agency. Or via the 2021 draft.

And the better team the Dolphins build, the less they’ll need from their QB. Of course everyone of us would like a Patrick Mahomes that can cover up deficiencies, but it’s not a complete and utter necessity.

Your assessment is inaccurate. Hyperbole.

Last edited:
Apparently, about half of the members here, and some mock draft "gurus".

I don't see it, but love for a specific player + decades of suffering desperation can have an effect on the viewpoint.
It’s not decades of desperation.
Were Chiefs desperate or smart to move for Mahomes?
Were the Eagles smart or desperate to move for Wentz?
Houston took a shot on Watson..

It’s not decades of desperation.
Were Chiefs desperate or smart to move for Mahomes?
Were the Eagles smart or desperate to move for Wentz?
Houston took a shot on Watson..

Eagles traded up to 2 a couple weeks before the draft..they didnt know what qb was gonna be there, so they hoped it was Wentz.

Chiefs knew they were never going to get over the hump with Smith so they traded away 2 1st round picks to move up and grab their giy.

Houston got uber luckey Watson fell to 14.

Until Miami has a good qb this team will be average.

They won't be able to build a team like the 49ers, that takes a decade of top 5 picks and 3 or 4 actually hit. No thanks, as it's another decade of time wasting and it's not sustainable since all those guys will need big money eventually and the team won't be able to afford all of them. Quickest way to secure a chance at playoffs is a young qb that is actually good. Secure that then worry about the rest.

Until Miami has a good qb this team will be average.

They won't be able to build a team like the 49ers, that takes a decade of top 5 picks and 3 or 4 actually hit. No thanks, as it's another decade of time wasting and it's not sustainable since all those guys will need big money eventually and the team won't be able to afford all of them. Quickest way to secure a chance at playoffs is a young qb that is actually good. Secure that then worry about the rest.

I don't think there are many who disagree with that general philosophy.

That's not the argument here.

Im not afraid of not having the franchise guy because SF certainly doesn’t and they were a play away from beating Mahomes.

Jimmy Garoppolo came oh so close to having as many notches on his belt as Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers.

The franchise QB helps, but not more than the entire franchise.

YES times 1000%.

You‘re not afraid because you get it. SF and TEN are great examples for just this season. Yes, neither team won, ultimately, but they were certainly playing well enough to win during the playoffs.

MIA once had the ultimate franchise QB. Yet only appeared in ONE Super Bowl. Dan Fouts, Jim Kelly, Warren Moon and numerous others were never part of a title winner. Meanwhile the lIkes of Jim McMahon, Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Nick Foles all have.

As you pointed out, Rodgers and Brees have combined to play around 30 seasons as starting QB’s. They each only have 1 title each to speak of. And they‘re as elite as elite can be.

It‘s more about the team and system. See the New England Patriots.

Brady has 6 titles, yes, in large part thanks to a defense. Especially the last 3.

The Patriots have 6 titles. Brady was just part of them.

The Patriots have managed to win 6 titles because they built the perfect storm program. And managed to keep it consistent. And cheated numerous times, allegedly. But I digress.

Besides Brady, NE has had the most accomplished coach of all time. Not just during his time in NE, but also in NY with the Giants. They also had the most accomplished and clutch playoff place kicker of all time. And numerous other HOF’ers or soon to be.

I’ve made the argument many times that the first couple SB’s the Patriots won were on the strength of their defense and special teams, notably Vinatieri. Who made the two kicks against OAK in the snow to advance to a SB then game winners in two of the Super Bowls.

In short, it’s been a team and organization accomplishment above all else.

IMO, the Patriots have a ton in common with the 80’s SF 49ers. Numerous HOF players on both sides of the all. HOF head coaches. And an organizational system that was ahead of it’s time.

It wasn’t all on their QB, or even mostly.

How many times and in how many threads are you going to regurgitate this same false narrative?

Wasted words with some ….

Yes, it would be nice to draft the next Aaron Rodgers. But look how much GB has underachieved because they can’t supported their elite QB with enough talent.

Same thing happened with our Dolphins during the Marino era. They HAD the QB yet were largely “dead in the water”.

Some of these posters only remember trades like Philly and KC … the reality is YES a QB is a must and YES we all want a Mahomes , Rodgers or the second coming of Marino …. but without the complimentary pieces AND a HC that doesn't F around then welcome to mediocre-ville … some want the golden child and think he is the ONLY piece we need … guarantee you that Mahomes would not be enough without the rest …. By the time we finally build a team after giving away the resources we have we will be in cap hell (again) AND be facing a new contract for the golden one

And the better team the Dolphins build, the less they’ll need from their QB. Of course everyone of us would like a Patrick Mahomes that can cover up deficiencies, but it’s not a complete and utter necessity.

:hclap:

Why are people using the 49ers and Titans as examples?

Both teams were ass until a good qb came in a changed their fortunes. Both teams were picking top 5 before the qb came in a picked em up.

Were the Chiefs desperate or smart to move for Mahomes?

Hindsight is always 20/20.

You’re conveniently listing a couple examples that worked. But how about the ones that didn’t? I guarantee you there are more examples of those.

Furthermore, the situation for KC was different than the situation MIA is in. In many ways.

One example would be that KC moved up 17 spots from 27 to 10. It cost them only 1 additional 3rd round pick from that same draft. They also traded a 1st rounder from the next draft.

And, again, they moved up 17 spots. And didn’t target a player with a questionable injury history and recovery.

However, in the Dolphins case, the cost to move up just 2 or 3 spots is much, much more expensive. And much, much more risky.

It‘s an apples to oranges comparison.

Back
Top Bottom