Am I the ONLY one who hopes we miss out on Tannehill?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Am I the ONLY one who hopes we miss out on Tannehill??

Da GODfather

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'm sure i'm in the minority here when it comes to preference on Ryan Tannehill, but I can't be the ONLY one. Can I?? Look, i'm not trying to bash the kid. I really believe he has a decent skill set. I think he has a high ceiling. The problem I have is that in ANY other draft class, this kid is a 2nd round draft pick. He is being pushed into the first round and now the top 10. By the time the draft actually comes, he may have made his way into the top 5-6. Are we seriously considering moving up to get Ryan Tannehill????

I would like to know what you guys think of all this. How many of you would be happy if we took Tannehill at 8? How many of you would be pissed? Does anyone actually think he is worth trading up for?

Me personally, i'm hoping that the Eagles or Cards jump in front of us and draft him. If either one or any other team were to do that, I'd then try and make a play to trade down and grab more draft picks OR if we couldn't get any offers that were worth it, i'd stay put and DRAFT BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE!!! Draft smart, get some weapons (TE, WRs) for Moore to work with this year. I can live with Moore for another year. Who knows, maybe he lights it up and even gives us some trade bait that we can turn into picks for next years draft.

If Moore struggles then we are sure to have a top 10 pick next year. If Moore plays lights out then we trade him and use the extra picks, together with our full set of draft picks and we do WHATEVER we have to, in order to put Matt Barkley's name on our draft pick card. Honestly, who would rather wait until next year and draft a QB, where he SHOULD be selected at?! I dare someone to tell me Ryan Tannehill has top 8 talent. We ALL know he's gonna take at least one year to sit and learn. If we're gonna wait, why not wait, play Moore and then draft a guy that truly is worthy of a top 10 pick.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

I'd be happy if we got him, if you got teams wanting to trade up to get him that must mean he's gotta be special. I'd go by what Sherman says if he's worth that 8 spot, who knows him better than his former coach besides his family? If he's sitting there when we pick at 8 and we don't draft the kid, I'd be alright with it as well cause it shows Sherman doesn't have high hopes for him in the NFL and passed that info to Philbin and Ireland.

Tannehill only has 9" hands which were the smallest of any QB at the combine. He will struggle when playing in cold weather in New York or Massachusetts or in rainy games. We don't need that.

Tannehill only has 9" hands which were the smallest of any QB at the combine. He will struggle when playing in cold weather in New York or Massachusetts or in rainy games. We don't need that.

That's funny cause those "9 inch" hands seemed to work well catching the ball as a receiver.....that excuse needs to be trashed quick smart........

Whether or not hes one of the ten most talented players in the draft is irrelevant. If Sherman/Ireland/Philbin think hes a franchise QB then you have to draft him.

In my opinion with the rookie salary scale the way it is now there's no reason not to take a QB if your team is in the market for one. A lot of people considered Ponder and Locker second round picks but if nothing else they provide a fanbase some hope for the future, something this team has been sorely lacking for the past two decades. It no longer cripples a team financially if the pick doesn't work out and you don't feel obligated to hand the team over to the kid simply because hes making more than anyone else.

QB is the most important position in the game, hands down. We don't have a long term answer at that position and we're no way bad enough to get a top 2-3 pick, let alone the #1 which is where Barkley is going despite some epic collapse or emergence of some new hot prospect QB. Roll the dice and take him at #8. If he isn't there oh well I guess but then I hope we take Keuchly then to be our defensive QB for the next 12 years.

Great athlete, but makes some dumb mistakes as QB.

15 interceptions and losing 4 games when having a double-digit halftime lead...no thanks. I would rather have a QB that doesn't throw pics and brings the team from behind.

If Claiborne, Blackmon or Richardson fall I hope Miami is smart enough to draft one of those even if Tannehill available. Could use good pass rusher as well.

Unfortunately, I think Ireland will reach after whiffing miserably on Manning and Flynn.

Doesn't matter if we draft him or not, both options have (should have) the same outcome: Matt Moore being the starting QB for the Miami Dolphins. Tannehill NEEDS to sit at least one full year. So, I guess the question is would you rather have Ryan Tannehill with a year under his belt OR Matt Barkely as our QB next year? I believe Barkley could come in and start from day 1. Of course our coaching staff knows more than me, you and any other person on this forum. I'm not gonna pretend like i'm smarter, i'm just voicing my opinion.

Sooo you tell me, in 2013...

A. Tannehill (with a year on the bench learning)
or
B. Barkley

Doesn't matter if we draft him or not, both options have (should have) the same outcome: Matt Moore being the starting QB for the Miami Dolphins. Tannehill NEEDS to sit at least one full year. So, I guess the question is would you rather have Ryan Tannehill with a year under his belt OR Matt Barkely as our QB next year? I believe Barkley could come in and start from day 1. Of course our coaching staff knows more than me, you and any other person on this forum. I'm not gonna pretend like i'm smarter, i'm just voicing my opinion.

Sooo you tell me, in 2013...

A. Tannehill (with a year on the bench learning)
or
B. Barkley
Unreasonable to expect Miami gets Barkley next year. The team has enough talent on defense to keep them from getting the top pick. I think the only question is whether Tannehill is a franchise QB. If not, pass on him.

Unreasonable to expect Miami gets Barkley next year. The team has enough talent on defense to keep them from getting the top pick. I think the only question is whether Tannehill is a franchise QB. If not, pass on him.

Was in unreasonable for the Washington Redskins to get or be in the position to get RG3???

Look it doesn't have to be Matt Barkley. You're getting caught up in the details of what i'm saying. YES, i'd love to get Barkley therefore am using his name in my posts but the main point i'm trying to make is why draft a QB this year just because we didnt get Manning or any other big name? Why draft a QB with 2nd round skills? Tannehill is a product of supply and demand. Plus, if we draft him he needs to sit and learn still. The point i'm making is that if we are going to play Moore next year then why not draft someone who will help this team NOW and then do whatever is necessary next year to get Barkley or another QB that is truly a top 10 pick with top 10 skills.

I'd rather get a Michael Floyd or Justin Blackmon to add to the roster if you are gonna draft a rookie qb you want to put him in a good position to win games with good talent around him. Miami needs to build up talent around the qb position and kinda ride it out until the cards play in their favor. Tannehill has huge upside but he is a project. get a Blackmon and a good tight end if you do something with your picks an get fleener too then maybe next year you take a cchance on a first rd qb because at least u should b comfortable with your skill positions. U can focus on more defensive guys after qb. Plus prolly can get a weeeden for almost see value later

IMO the only approach that really works is: if the coaches think Tannehill could be a franchise QB you draft him at #8 (in case he's still on the board). In that case it doesn't matter if he's graded 2nd round and is just being hyped because of lack of other options. If they think he can be an outstanding QB for the next 10-15 years, you go select him. If he has to sit a year or two, so be it.

Every other approach is destined for failure, especially the "wait-and-see"-approach. Where has that gotten us? We've been waiting on a sure-franchise caliber QB fall to us for over a decade now. But we haven't taken ONE chance in the first round in 30 years! In another thread, I read that we drafted and signed/re-signed 51 offensive linemen in the last 4 years only to bring us 3(!!!) starters. We're taking chances on offensive linemen but not on QBs?! Just to repeat myself: the bottom line is, if the coaches believe Tannehill could be a franchise QB, take a chance on him. I mean, we're constantly picking in the top 10 in recent years anyway, so why not take a QB and see if he can get us out of the hole? If he doesn't pan out, don't worry, we'll be picking top 10 again in three or five years from now. Take a chance if you think he's got what it takes.

But I'd like to touch on another subject that's being discussed over and over on this board. I often hear people say, you have to draft the weapons BEFORE you draft a QB. IMO, you should draft your QB first and only then you draft his weapons. I mean, most rookie QBs are not ready to play from day one anyway, so why not draft a QB and the years AFTER that you draft his 'weapons'. Because what good would it do if we had all the weapons but our QB must sit & learn for 2 or 3 years? Just draft a QB who you think can lead us to the promised land and everything will fall into place. Don't overanalyze because it's not that complicated. That's just another reason why I'm not in favor of drafting some impact players this year and hope to land a franchise caliber QB (like Barkley) next year. You never know how the dice will fall.

Take a chance now!

You are absolutely correct. Its very unlikely Miami is among the bottom 3 or 4 teams in the NFL where they would be in position to draft or trade to the top of the draft to pick Matt Barkley. Its more likely that theyll be in the position to draft Tyler Bray from Tennessee, Tyler Wilson from Arkansas, or Landry Jones from Oklahoma. Im sure there will probably be 1 or 2 more QBs whose name will be thrown into the 1st round next year.

Back
Top Bottom