Am i the only one who thinks.... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Am i the only one who thinks....

jlfin said:
I posted this on an earlier thread, but I'll say it again. O-lineman, more than any other position, usually need a few years to develop. Many of the linemen on this roster are very young. Much of the problems last year were mental (Wade Smith whiffing on numerous plays during the Cincy game) in which our linemen didn't even engage the opponent. I place a lot of blame on Wise and on DW and Spielman for making such a wholesale change in one offseason.
Clearly, they were not ready for the season. For that matter, they weren't ready for the first 8 games.
With proper coaching and development I think they could actually become a strength on this team. Those of you who are bashing Carey or calling him a bust after one season obviously haven't been watching NFL football for too long.

Your points are well taken. A massive overhaul at offensive line is the worst possible place for that. For every one time it meshes quickly, like San Diego, you'll probably have 3 or 4 examples it flops. Several of my Las Vegas friends bet under on Miami's season wins last year, long before Ricky retired, because of our offensive line situation.

I have no quarrel with Carey. He was similar with the Canes, a blue chip prep who took years to develop in college. Carey has the athletic skills I covet. My beef is with persistent draft picks like McKinney and Whitley, cumbersome athletes at best. I don't want technicians. I want quick footed and explosive guys who can get the immediate edge on the defensive lineman, or adjust on the fly if they don't. We have too many guys who simply can't recover. Even Jeno James is like that to some degree, especially on pass blocking.

Quelonio said:
THey are bad, i keep on hearing that they have potentioal, but i have never seen it. We complain a lot about our coaching, but that same coaching gave us the line that helped Ricky run 1800 yards in a season, a lot of it was Ricky being amazingly good, but a lot of that was above average blocking. So I dont know, you cant blame it all on coaching, there is a lot of that, but it is not all.

:confused::shakeno::confused:
i hate to tell you this but the line that had ricky running for 1800 yards was a completely different offensive line than the one we have now. not a single one of our linemen now were starting when he did that and it was mainly Jamie Nails pulling as a guard that would spring ricky free like that... but nails couldnt pull after he hurt his achilles tendon.
Minion

jlfin said:
I posted this on an earlier thread, but I'll say it again. O-lineman, more than any other position, usually need a few years to develop. Many of the linemen on this roster are very young. Much of the problems last year were mental (Wade Smith whiffing on numerous plays during the Cincy game) in which our linemen didn't even engage the opponent. I place a lot of blame on Wise and on DW and Spielman for making such a wholesale change in one offseason.
Clearly, they were not ready for the season. For that matter, they weren't ready for the first 8 games.
With proper coaching and development I think they could actually become a strength on this team. Those of you who are bashing Carey or calling him a bust after one season obviously haven't been watching NFL football for too long.
Question though, what most of us are posting on here are pretty much 'whole sale' changes. Won't we have growing pains to start this next year?

jlfin said:

thanks for repeating it

The only O-linemen I'm sold on is jeno and carney. I don't care what kind of season carney had. Carney was a rookie and you don't expect crap out of a rookie on the O-line. The fact that he had some bright moments as a rookie is surprising enough to me...

--Ross

Without Draft D-Mac-James-Hadnot-Carey-McDougle
With Draft D-Mac-James-Baas-Carey-McDougle

Ross said:
The only O-linemen I'm sold on is jeno and carney. I don't care what kind of season carney had. Carney was a rookie and you don't expect crap out of a rookie on the O-line. The fact that he had some bright moments as a rookie is surprising enough to me...

--Ross

Why not St. Clair? He was the Phins best offensive linemen last year, but is being written off by most fans. I think he'll be the starter at RT, and Carey may not even start, he's never played LT before and I think Mcintosh will win the job. The line should improve, the best model is the Bills line last year under McNally, while I don't think Houck is as good as McNally anyone is better than Wise.

Our o-line should do better than the beginning of last year. The play of our o-line probaly scared away free agent running backs.

rickysux said:
am i the only one that thinks we have a DEEP o-line, not a great o-line but good depth? and what do you think our starting o-line will look like assuming we do not draft a lineman in the early rounds?

d-mac,carey,smith,mcdouge,st.clair,mckinney,jerman,hadnot, if we have any injuries (and we always do) at least we have decent backups.
Ive been saying this since we got stockar. I think that we definitely have sufficient depth there. Houck did more with even less last year in SD.

I think we can look at a C like incognito later on or a guard like BYU's Scott Young for depth but with waht we have I think we'll be much improved with much better coaching and more defined roles.

The addition of hot routes will certainly lessen the burden on the OL. I mean how JR. High schoolish is that? :eek:

djfresh47 said:
Why not St. Clair? He was the Phins best offensive linemen last year, but is being written off by most fans. I think he'll be the starter at RT, and Carey may not even start, he's never played LT before and I think Mcintosh will win the job. The line should improve, the best model is the Bills line last year under McNally, while I don't think Houck is as good as McNally anyone is better than Wise.

Well probably because I'm giving jeno a pass because he played well the year before, and I'm giving Carney a pass for being a rookie. Perhaps I should just give them all a pass then. I thought they all pretty much sucked last year.

I'll wait to see what the new Oline coach can do with them...

--Ross

Back
Top Bottom