Amendola to sign with Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by NJ Dolphan, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase Finheaven VIP

When this teams signs the very good Josh Sitton for a reasonable contract then LG is filled. And filled with a very damn good player.

Ricky4Life and Ray R like this.
  2. thefieds

thefieds Rookie

Congrats to Amendola. Not only is he dating that hot little tart on good morning football he's heading to south fla where aging vets go to get paid.

Ben Had, artdnj, EricCartman and 4 others like this.
  3. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Logan Mankins made the pro bowl in his 1st year after the Pats
    Drew Bledsoe had his moments, three with the Bills and two with the Cowboys.
    Irving Fryar 4 1000+ yard seasons after the Pats
    Terry Glenn 2-1000+ yard seasons after the Pats
    Curtis Martin 7-1000+ yards rushing seasons after the Pats
    BenJarvus Green-Ellis

Ray R likes this.
  4. Danny68

Danny68 NewEngland Fin Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

He’s dating model Olivia Culpo :thumbsup
    590AF2E7-F769-48EA-AF44-9E4B53905321.jpeg

Ben Had, thefieds and Ray R like this.
  5. JFoxx

JFoxx Seasoned Veteran

I'm betting Tbaum misunderstood Ross and thought he said, "Go get us all the slots you can find!"

artdnj, Bufeo, Laser13 and 1 other person like this.
  6. jason37

jason37 Drivin' the Yeremiah Bell Bandwagon

Downgrade.

7. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

Yea, I rather have 3 McDonald cheese burgers with $2.50 spare change in my pocket than one delicious 5oz. filet.

ForksPhin and Laser13 like this.
  8. MiamiMuss

MiamiMuss A True Fan

Guess I should have been a little more specific in being After Belichick became HC.
    So Fryar and Martin can come off the list.Glenn if he never had any off the field issues may have stayed a lot longer.Bledsoe ya well um ok Bill fans cringe when his name is mentioned.Mankins granted he did make the PB was an alternate.
    My main point is Bill knows when to ship out his players and is usually spot on.

9. theOutback

theOutback Well-Known Member

Punt return value.

10. Yessir

Yessir Dolfan for Life Donator

These two deals today were just as bad as Kiko and Branch.

You don’t win in the NFL overpaying mediocre free agents. Period. Nothing these two wide receivers did in 2017 warranted pay raises above what they were making last year. Nothing.

11. Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come A True Fan

Trey Quinn will be 10 times the player Amendola ever was. Another bad decision.

12. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

I’ll believe it when i see it

joenhre likes this.
  13. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I agree.

I wonder if our Front Office does things in such an order that it stirs up a lot of negative forum talk on purpose. This way they can indirectly steer information they want out there to other media, clouding the picture of what they are planning to do until it is too late to get interfered with. NO, NO, NO, I'm beginning to sound like too many members on this forum!

I am actually convinced that the Front Office is a lot sharper than those posters who are so emotionally tied to:
    • certain players
    • concepts of how to achieve their individual football preferences
    that they have a conniption fit when the FO doesn't:
    • do what they want done
    • do it the way they want it done

The Front Office has shown me during the last two years it has a plan and has been following it.

Look at the kind of players they drafted. They are looking at guys with a competent skill set who have demonstrated self discipline on the field and stayed out of trouble off the field, or have learned from their mistakes. I suspect that there has been a serious examination of their "football IQ" ( how they look at the game and their part in it, along with a demonstrated ability to learn a play book).

We have seen Gase take enough time (sometimes more than enough time) to develop a player before putting them on the field. I think Gase has always worked at keeping a play within a players skillset, but has had enough of players freelancing in place of learning their responsibility in the play.

When Gase was brought on he was asked what he wanted to see in a player. He answered that he wanted tough, smart, grinders who love the game. It should not be a surprise that this is exactly the kind of player we have sought in the past two drafts and can expect to see from this draft.

Take a look at who starts this year. I think you will see some folks that were drafted over the last two years. For those posters that scream we need to build through the draft, you are getting your wish but probably not with the draft picks you wanted.

Ben Had, fin415, NBP81 and 3 others like this.
  14. ColoradoFin

ColoradoFin Well-Known Member

Some of you guys would bitch and moan if we signed Dan Marino in his prime to a five year deal. Too many whiny wannabe GM’s on here are never happy.

15. FanMarino

FanMarino HOF Pass Master

Coming to a cinema near you...:Welker...The Revenge.

16. Finner89

Finner89 Member

Does the front office realize Tom Brady won't be throwing this guy the ball anymore?

17. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

Well, for what it's worth, I don't think the front office is playing the twitter/forum crowd with personnel moves. I also don't think they're the sharpest tools around.

I just think that they are actively addressing what they perceive to be a problem. Will the way they are addressing this problem work out? I don't know. But to me at least they have a coherent plan, which is more than I thought about them two days ago.

Ben Had, Beach Bum 91 and Ray R like this.
  18. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

Does the Cleveland front office realize Ryan Tannehill will not be throwing Jarvis Landry the ball anymore?

It's possible to evaluate a receiver with respect to his play and not merely his quarterback's play, you know.

fin415, andyahs and Ray R like this.
  19. Digital

Digital Starter Finheaven VIP

If I'm Jakeem Grant ... I'm feeling awful nervous right now. If I'm Carroo, I'm calling my agent about new teams who may be interested. If I'm DeVante Parker, I'm keeping Rotoworld on my phone at all times. None of our existing WR's can be happy about adding two new receivers.

Amendola is talented, but the knock on him--literally--is that he cannot stay healthy. Another year older and more fragile ... I sure hope there are a bunch of games-played type incentives.

20. Geordie

Geordie A True Fan

Really, really hate this move. Way too much money to pay for someone that won't get us anywhere near where we need to be, I fail to see any logic in this one at all. And the kicker is he's likely to be hanging out with Pouncey et al on the treatment table for much of the year, just what we need.

uk_dolfan likes this.
  21. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

To be fair Tannehill hasn’t thrown balls to Landry since 2016.

Ray R likes this.
  22. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

29136266_172006.jpg

fin415 likes this.
  23. Beach Bum 91

Beach Bum 91 Water Boy

You mean about this?

JGrant.PNG

24. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Yea. I am used to this FO making mistskes, but this one baffled me

25. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator

We gave this contract to Brian Hartline back when the cap was alot smaller... This is not the type of contract that'll make or break your cap situation...

Ray R likes this.
  26. Eesti

Eesti Rookie Finheaven VIP

Let's see what the actual contract details look like first but Brian Hartline was rewarded for putting up a 1k season and then turned around and put up a 1k season the following year and was then released with a 4.2M dead cap hit.

Amendola has never sniffed 1k and will most likely split snaps with Wilson. He will likely not even get close to the amount of snaps Hartline got in those two years even though he was phased out under a new system with Lazor. Hartline also only missed 4 games in 6 years in Miami and was 27 when he got the new deal.

No, this ONE contract will not make or break your salary cap. Add up all the overpaid players on the dolphins and then tell me what that does to your cap. Branch, Kiko, Timmons, Mario Williams, Suh, etc. If not for Timmons AWOL incident we would be on the hook for almost the full amount of his contract.

Given the way this FO structures contracts, it will likely have a low first year cap hit and end up being a one year deal for $8.5M with a 4.25M dead hit in 2019. Chances are the guy gets hurt. He averages 12 games per year with 4 starts. Are we once again expecting a player to be something he's never been? Durable, young...

Sirspud likes this.
  27. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

I agree with you, it's refreshing to see the Dolphins with a coach who has a plan. The only thing that I hate, is picking up older players at high salaries in FA...that said I'll wait and see the end product.

circumstances and Ray R like this.
  28. Ricky4Life

Ricky4Life Repin the MIA in AZ!!

All this is telling me that Gase wants to spread it out and rotate receivers. Believe it was stated he had to dumb down his offense because some could not grasp it.

29. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I would have preferred to have signed Wilson, Carlos Hyde at rb, $3 million in cap space and draft a receiver in the mid rounds if needed.

30. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

The reality of the NFL pay structure is this:
    1) There are a limited number of draft positions available. Teams can sign up any number of undrafted personnel, but in the end there is a fixed number of players allowed on an NFL team.
    1) Drafted personnel make a good salary, but it is basically limited to where they were picked in the draft. Think of them as raw mined diamonds, whose blemishes and value will be brought out in the next 4 to 5 years. If they are badly flawed they won't last even that long.
    2) At the end of their initial contract with a team the player is more experienced, has a track record that can used to try and establish a monetary value at his position and be 4 or 5 years older then when he was drafted, probably with an injury history. At this point in his career a player can:
    • Get traded while under contract.
    • Get a new, extremely lucrative contract with his current team
    • Get an offer from his team but try free agency to see if he can get more money
    • Get cut by his team and see what he can get by himself in free agency
    The point is this, with the exception of UDFA's, Free Agents are usually older and have an NFL established performance history as compared to a draftee. For they reason they will be much more expensive than a draftee.

They are few in number and exist in a very limited and selective market for a limited amount of time. They are now like diamonds, fully formed with all their flaws visible. In this market they are like either an industrial grade diamond, which is not any better or possibly not as good as a raw mined diamond (a Draftee), or they are a real GEM (pardon the pun) and will be worth much more money then a raw mined diamond (a Draftee).

So Free Agents are going to be older with known strengths and weaknesses and very expensive. If they fill a teams need which can't be filled by the draft they will make whatever the market can bear.

This is the way it works in the NFL.

31. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator

who better to mentor Jakeem than a fellow Red Raider who plays the position.. signing Amendola is 2ways good

circumstances likes this.
  32. JJM_7

JJM_7 A True Fan

Danny has a new profile pic on twitter, lol.

[​IMG]

33. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

34. ANUFan

ANUFan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

You can't be serious about Jakeem Grant feeling "awful nervous right now." You're entitled to your opinion but from my view, Grant is safer on this roster than Parker. Literally, he's only behind Stills as far as safe from cuts or not seeing the field. Of course, barring any crazy injury scenario.

No one on the roster can do what he can. No one and that makes him very safe!

35. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

36. Digital

Digital Starter Finheaven VIP

Yeah, actually I am. I know Grant is saying all the right things ... but no WR corps is going to have 3 undersized speed guys and start all of them. With two more guys (one of whom is Amendola) who can also return punts and be a speed threat ... his skills are quickly becoming duplicative. Now, I'm a huge fan of Grant, and think his start-stop quickness is unparalleled ... but you cannot deny that there is somewhat of a skill overlap adding these two WR's in place of a different sort like Landry.

37. ANUFan

ANUFan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

So they would get rid of the cheapest, youngest, most familiar, and most explosive option of the bunch?

Did you just put Amendola in the speed threat category on par with Grant? Yikes!

I'm really trying to see your angle here Digital. But I really can't see it. If they were crazy enough to release, cut Grant he would be picked up in a second and almost without question by the Patriots.

I get what you're saying about overlapping talents. But you don't dump a guy that's coming on like Grant when he only adds a plus to your Roster. Hell, has he even been hurt since he's been with us? Certainly not like Amendola has.

Ray R likes this.
  38. circumstances

circumstances Starter Finheaven VIP

Amendola is a slot receiver. Grant is an outside receiver. They are both Red Raider alums. Amendola is no threat to Grant. Grant is genuinely thrilled to welcome Amendola to the team.

Albert Wilson will spell Amendola as well as the outside receivers, so his presence will likely affect Grant's touches. But only in a minimal way. Gase will design plays for Grant and make sure he gets his targets.

39. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

If I were Carroo and Parker I'd take notice. If the right offer comes along they will be gone.

Ray R likes this.
  40. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Grant has 13 career receptions while Parker is 113 over the past two seasons. I know some people are upset Parker isn't an elite level receiver at this point, but a sane and unbiased assessment would clearly say Parker is the better player by a wide margin. I don't think Grant's odds are much higher than Carroo's or Isaiah Ford's, and I would still consider a day three receiver if the draft value is there and it's a better option than other needs. For example if there's B level receiver on the board and c level linebackers,defensive tackles, safeties, tight ends, safeties and running backs I'm ok with taking the receiver.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Ray R likes this.