AMOBI OKOYE W the 9th pick? any thoughts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AMOBI OKOYE W the 9th pick? any thoughts

Oraclepz

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
9. MIAMI DOLPHINSAMOBI OKOYE

DT | Louisville | Scouting Report
clear.gif
This just might be the toughest pick to project in round one but in the end it came down to Amobi Okoye and Leon Hall, and the defensive tackle got the final nod. The Phins have plenty of needs but with Vonnie Holliday, Keith Traylor and Jeff Zgonina all slated to become unrestricted free agents there is a good chance Miami will be losing their top three interior linemen this offseason, which would make the position priority #1. The NFL Draft has rarely, if ever, seen a prospect like Okoye, who played in college as a 16-year-old true freshman and will still only be a 20-year-old rookie next fall despite having four years of Division I playing experience. Okoye is coming off a fantastic senior campaign and his upside is through the roof which is why he is one of the hottest names in the draft and soaring up the boards of most teams. Hall would be a possibility as well and the Dolphins need secondary help but Okoye and his potential are just too enticing.

DT | Louisville | Scouting Reporthttp://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerphotos/dt/amobiokoye.jpg This just might be the toughest pick to project in round one but in the end it came down to Amobi Okoye and Leon Hall, and the defensive tackle got the final nod. The Phins have plenty of needs but with Vonnie Holliday, Keith Traylor and Jeff Zgonina all slated to become unrestricted free agents there is a good chance Miami will be losing their top three interior linemen this offseason, which would make the position priority #1. The NFL Draft has rarely, if ever, seen a prospect like Okoye, who played in college as a 16-year-old true freshman and will still only be a 20-year-old rookie next fall despite having four years of Division I playing experience. Okoye is coming off a fantastic senior campaign and his upside is through the roof which is why he is one of the hottest names in the draft and soaring up the boards of most teams. Hall would be a possibility as well and the Dolphins need secondary help but Okoye and his potential are just too enticing.

If Mueller and the scouts think he can be one hell of an NT, then yes. But if he's only a one-gapper, then we shouldn't.

Completely against it. I think he's overhyped by the media because of his age. He's strong but he plays too high and just stands around for to many plays to take him. Quinn Pit**** and Okoye are the two most overrated Defensive linemen in the draft IMO

To the draft forum!

On topic, not sure he fits. He's not big enough and doesnt have 2-gap experience for NT, and he's not tall enough to be a 3-4 DE. He could probabaly gain weight and be taught to play 2-gap like Vince Wilfork, but that's kind of an added hassle to his development.

If we think he can be a great NT, snatch him up quickly, but if we're thinking of him as a closed end or an inside end, pass.

I'm hoping that somebody better will still be on the board when we pick, but if not I wouldn't mind us drafting Okoye. The D is in desperate need of a youth movement, and they don't get much younger than Okoye. I'd rather have him than Ginn.

I think it would be a great pick and with him being so good at such a young age at a big time college football program I think he will be a great tackle in the NFL and will be around for many years.

Saw this guy play against Rutgers, was impressed with his skills in the one game I saw him in, but I don't think he is worthy of the 9th overall

To the draft forum!

On topic, not sure he fits. He's not big enough and doesnt have 2-gap experience for NT, and he's not tall enough to be a 3-4 DE. He could probabaly gain weight and be taught to play 2-gap like Vince Wilfork, but that's kind of an added hassle to his development.
I think he just turned 20 years old he isn't even done growing yet and he can probably gain another 13 pounds which will make 330 punds which is plenty big enough to play the nose tackle postion.

I think he just turned 20 years old he isn't even done growing yet and he can probably gain another 13 pounds which will make 330 punds which is plenty big enough to play the nose tackle postion.

He was playing a lot lighter than his listed weight this year, he was in the high 200's.

He could probably get up around 310 pretty easily, 330 eventually, But there's more to a NT than just being huge. I haven't seen him enough to pass judgment on him, but I've heard people that have reservations about him working at NT.

i like this kid, but i think we should go offense with our 1st round pick! maybe jarrett with the #9 pick or trade down some spots, get a extra draft pick and draft ginn jr. in the 1st round!

DT | Louisville | Scouting Reporthttp://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerphotos/dt/amobiokoye.jpg This just might be the toughest pick to project in round one but in the end it came down to Amobi Okoye and Leon Hall, and the defensive tackle got the final nod. The Phins have plenty of needs but with Vonnie Holliday, Keith Traylor and Jeff Zgonina all slated to become unrestricted free agents there is a good chance Miami will be losing their top three interior linemen this offseason, which would make the position priority #1. The NFL Draft has rarely, if ever, seen a prospect like Okoye, who played in college as a 16-year-old true freshman and will still only be a 20-year-old rookie next fall despite having four years of Division I playing experience. Okoye is coming off a fantastic senior campaign and his upside is through the roof which is why he is one of the hottest names in the draft and soaring up the boards of most teams. Hall would be a possibility as well and the Dolphins need secondary help but Okoye and his potential are just too enticing.

I was ok with Okoye until I really looked it over. We need either Reggie Nelson or Tedd Ginn Jr at #9.

NT? We can either stick with one more year of Traylor, Dan Wilkinson, Manny Wright, or even Evans (if he gained 10 lbs)....and draft one in 2008.

A NT can also be found in the later rounds of this year's draft. There may be someone cheap via FA and/or cuts. We aquired Traylor off of NE releasing him.

Remember, Manny Wright was told by Saban that he was going to rotate with Traylor at NT last year before signing Big Daddy....so...

We may go with Traylor, Manny, and Big Daddy rotating in and out for NT.

Carter, Rod Wright, Evans, and Vickerson will probably battle it out for playing time in Vonnie Holiday's vacated RE/DT spot.

Roth, Carter, and Rod Wright will probably battle it out for the LE spot.

Traylor is most likely gonna retire.

Back
Top Bottom