An All Offense Draft? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

An All Offense Draft?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
The way free agency is shaping up, it looks like the draft is set up to bring in offensive talent. Going into free agency needs included CB, MLB, RB, TE, Pass Rusher, offensive line. Let's look at a few positions as they now stand.

* CB -- The Ramsey trade was huge, likely taking CB off the table. Although, an argument could be made that the BPA at 51 and 87 could be a CB. It is possible that Grier plans for the future here, drafts a CB fairly highly and maybe looks to move Howard next offseason. Doesn't seem too likely, though.

* MLB - I love, love the signing of Long from Tennessee. Though, it's a short-term deal. Would Grier be tempted to draft Sanders or Campbell if either linebacker made it to 51? I think that will be a moot point anyway. But, there's a lot of short-term answers in the linebacker room.

* RB - Virtually every back returns, although the Dolphins still could use someone who can push the pile and win those tough yards when nothing is there. It wouldn't surprise me if Grier went RB early, but I think it's more likely with the 6th or 7th round pick.

* TE --- Eric Saubert, the tight end Miami signed from Denver, is known as a run blocker. Maybe there's more to explore there as a pass receiver, but on paper TE looks to be a huge need. I could definitely see 51 or 87 used on a tight end. Thinking LaPorte, Kraft, or Strange. I believe Washington will be off the board.

* Pass Rusher --- This is a wildcard pick for the Dolphins. They have explored several DT/DE combination players and likely could have trouble keeping both Wilkins and Sieler. I could definitely see it.

* Offensive line --- It seems like every year Miami has a new offensive line coach. That has to be a big reason why young talent isn't developing. Can Jackson and Eichenberg take the next step? I hope so, but I'd definitely bring in competition. If Armstead wasn't injury prone, I might feel better about gambling on two positions but it would be smart for Grier to bring in a legit lineman, who is versatile.

So, a possible draft including players traded for...

1. Chubb DE
2. Kraft TE (maybe with a slight trade down)
3. Ramsey CB
3. Mingo Ole Miss WR (couldn't resist. The more I watch him, the more I think he'd be a perfect fit)
6. Miller TCU RB (coming off an injury, but a RB who breaks tackles)
7. BPA

Sign a free agent offensive linemen after June 1.

We are on the same page. I like an all offense draft. TE and OL are obviously needs. RB may not be a need, but there are so many high value guys there…Robinson, Charbonnet, Gibbs, McBride, Chase Brown, Evan Hull, McIntosh, Miller, Deuce, etc.

We are on the same page. I like an all offense draft. TE and OL are obviously needs. RB may not be a need, but there are so many high value guys there…Robinson, Charbonnet, Gibbs, McBride, Chase Brown, Evan Hull, McIntosh, Miller, Deuce, etc.
Grier might be able to find two backs who could (eventually) contribute with those 6th and 7th rounders. Miller could be there, due to his injury.

If Miami can get another 4th or 5th rounder by trading down, that opens up lots of possibilities. I think a lot of RB's you listed fall into that range and I also like Wylie, the TE from Cincinnati in those rounds.

Offense only draft better include at least 1 OL.

Their interest in Scruggs shows at least they know they need a backup center and possible reserve guard, but we need a starting guard as well.

Kendre Miller would be a great pick in the 6th round I feel like

Wouldn’t hate an all offense draft

Not sure I could pass up Campbell or Sanders though

Well... let me be the contrarian.

I hate the idea of an all offensive draft, Hate it.

There are too many coming holes in this football team. Ogbah's gone after this year. Sieler and Wilkins are both due new expensive contracts and we have no depth here to begin with. Baker is moderately overpaid for what he brings to the table. Long is on a two-year deal. X could be gone soon... Ramsey is a two-year rental. Only Edge and Safety are good for a few more years... this defense is a short-term construction, and we don't have many young players in the chain.

Yes, we need a BLOCKING TE (and they are cheap); Yes, we need a young RB (which can frequently be found late); Yes, we need a swing Tackle prospect... but most of our Defense WILL be gone in two years... this is almost inevitable.

An all-offense draft would be a sugar high.

Looking for offensive playmakers with our 2nd and 3rd round picks would seem to fit, someone to help us with our win now scenario we find ourselves in.
Cap spending
Defense 121 mil and change
Offense 103 mil and change
Dolphins will extend both Wilkins and Sieler and moving on from Ogbah's contract buy's the Dolphins a capable DE of equal or greater value.
The idea we are only looking for a blocking TE and not a TE who can block but is also a good receiving threat I don't think is correct, more than likely he is a better receiving threat than a blocker. The MO of this team is we are a passing team with accurate QB not a running team even thro we would like to be a threat running the ball...
Hopefully the Dolphins can resign Wilkins before the draft opening enough cap space that would allow them to pursue an elite RT using draft capitol from 2023 2024 if one became available.

Still like offensive playmakers for the draft if the trading for an OT fails, TE RB or even a better 3rd receiver option.
Dolphins kicking that can down the road pretty hard and left normal team building rules behind.

Well... let me be the contrarian.

I hate the idea of an all offensive draft, Hate it.

There are too many coming holes in this football team. Ogbah's gone after this year. Sieler and Wilkins are both due new expensive contracts and we have no depth here to begin with. Baker is moderately overpaid for what he brings to the table. Long is on a two-year deal. X could be gone soon... Ramsey is a two-year rental. Only Edge and Safety are good for a few more years... this defense is a short-term construction, and we don't have many young players in the chain.

Yes, we need a BLOCKING TE (and they are cheap); Yes, we need a young RB (which can frequently be found late); Yes, we need a swing Tackle prospect... but most of our Defense WILL be gone in two years... this is almost inevitable.

An all-offense draft would be a sugar high.
I hear you. It's interesting how free agency has evolved with so many short-term contracts league wise.

Unfortunately for Miami there are short-term solutions everywhere, on offense and defense. At least on defense, the Dolphins are pretty set for 2023.

On offense, if Miami goes into the season with the current group at tight end, offensive line and running back, I think that would be a problem.

Obviously, I'd love for Miami to have a few more picks and be able to find some long-term solutions at positions you've highlighted.

Messed around and went defense whenever possible - inspired by the conversation above.

Don't hate it. Don't love it.

Imo it's just a lot easier to build a defense than an offense, and I don't think there should be any real concern about restocking the unit in a couple years.

Whether it's TE, WR, or RB - Miami needs guys who can fill out the offense and make it more consistent. Versatile players who excel after the catch.

Kraft and Mingo are two of the best fits in the class.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230331_103907_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230331_103907_Chrome.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 23
If we end up with 5 picks... which isn't a bad assumption, one trade down would accomplish this... I'd like to see us go with 2 D, and 3 O, with the two better picks split between the two units. I will always favour a balance.

But quite honestly, if we can secure one of the Ogbah-replacements that I crave, then I'd swallow the idea that all of the other picks could be for short term gain... even though I think this is the ass-backwards way to go. I am a firm believer that you draft for long-term, and trade/sign FAs for short-term.

I will always believe that if we draft solely for short-term, we are dooming ourselves long-term, but I won't scream about it.

Messed around and went defense whenever possible - inspired by the conversation above.

Don't hate it. Don't love it.

Imo it's just a lot easier to build a defense than an offense, and I don't think there should be any real concern about restocking the unit in a couple years.

Whether it's TE, WR, or RB - Miami needs guys who can fill out the offense and make it more consistent. Versatile players who excel after the catch.

Kraft and Mingo are two of the best fits in the class.

Keaton was your highest graded pick 😍

Back
Top Bottom