an article that applies to miami fans... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

an article that applies to miami fans...

Re: Re: Re: No I speak from personal experience...

Originally posted by Trekbiz

Who are some of you people and where do your thoughts come from :confused:
Damn man sometimes people scare me.

Miami is definitely a large melting pot. Not everyone is prejudiced to everyone but I have met some who are. My thoughts are comming from meeting many different people. I have met white Southern Bell employee groups who root for foreign white boxers against american black boxers because of color. I have worked with old white southern people who hate blacks, cubans, and homosexuals. I was continually asked why do the cubans associate with blacks. I have worked with blacks who did not want their clientele to see whites in their offices. In some cuban shops you are not waited on if you don't speak spanish.
So do you live in a little world where everyone likes each other and have never seen any of this???

Everyone is just a human being. The day everyone realizes this is the day everyone will be free.

That's very true...

... one of the biggest arguments I have ever seen my brother get into was over a waitress that wouldn't serve him because she felt he spoke Spanish, but he didn't want to. She was right, but what difference does that make what language he wants to speak? It's not like she didn't speak English. I moved away from Miami 1.5 years after that, and yes that episode had a lot to do with my decision to leave Miami.

That city basically changed from a city I loved, to a city I tolerated because I had to. Honestly the Dolphins were one of the reasons I stayed as long as I did. If it wasn't for the Dolphins I probably would have moved from Miami 5 years earlier. I use to enjoy going to the games, and it made the other crap that went along with Miami tolerable. But once it started up at the stadium, I simply had enough.

This is one of the reasons I don’t get to many of the games today. I’m use to the life style up here in Orlando; it’s almost a total 180 to Miami. Just the driving in Miami will drive you nuts once you get away from Miami drivers. I guess most melting pot communities suffer from the same type of problems, but I don’t have to stay and endure them or even return to sample them.

Oliver...

Originally posted by Merman

Miami is definitely a large melting pot. Not everyone is prejudiced to everyone but I have met some who are. My thoughts are comming from meeting many different people. I have met white Southern Bell employee groups who root for foreign white boxers against american black boxers because of color. I have worked with old white southern people who hate blacks, cubans, and homosexuals. I was continually asked why do the cubans associate with blacks. I have worked with blacks who did not want their clientele to see whites in their offices. In some cuban shops you are not waited on if you don't speak spanish.
So do you live in a little world where everyone likes each other and have never seen any of this???

Re: Re: Re: Re: No I speak from personal experience...

Originally posted by Merman

Of course I've seen plenty of this and have been affected by it as well. All of the above happens. I've seen that in every other city I've been in as well though. There is a higher degree of it here than some smaller or less integrated areas but it's simply a sign of what everyone will have to deal with. When you say that MOST people in Miami are predujiced, that is a pretty strong and blanketing statement. I do understand where you and Oliver are coming from now. I myself grew up in Miami but fled to Broward and going into Dade county is not one of my favorite things to do unless I'm on my way to the Keys! :D

Booing is low rent, low class, and 90% of the time it emanates from the mouths of idiots and/or drunks who have no life. But it is not like it is some sort of new phenomenon or something. And it is not like it is in any way unique to Miami.

I lived in Philly during the Ron Jaworski era. If Fieldler wants to know what REAL booing is, and how to deal with it and not let it get to you, he can damn well just pick up the phone and have a chat with Jaworski sometime. Any time Jaworski threw a pick, he's booed off the field - I mean a deafening solid wall of sound - not scattered booing here and there. I couldn't believe it the first time I sat there and actually experienced it. Eagles losing at halftime? They would be booed off the field on their way to the locker room.

I ain't weeping any alligator tears for Jay or anyone millionaire who has to suffer through some booing. That's one reason why pro QB's make more money in one year than most guys on this board (including me) will make in our entire lives. Suck it up and take it.

yeah, but those same dipsh!t eagles fans booed mcnabb the day he was drafted! they wanted ricky! now that's just classy eh?
i disagree with "suck it up and take it", this ain't philly, and some phin fans need to quit acting like those idiots!

I don't get it...

... at the beginning of your post you imply it's low class to boo, yet at the end of your post you imply it's ok, which is it?

Oliver...

Originally posted by gulfcoastphan
Booing is low rent, low class, and 90% of the time it emanates from the mouths of idiots and/or drunks who have no life. But it is not like it is some sort of new phenomenon or something. And it is not like it is in any way unique to Miami.

I lived in Philly during the Ron Jaworski era. If Fieldler wants to know what REAL booing is, and how to deal with it and not let it get to you, he can damn well just pick up the phone and have a chat with Jaworski sometime. Any time Jaworski threw a pick, he's booed off the field - I mean a deafening solid wall of sound - not scattered booing here and there. I couldn't believe it the first time I sat there and actually experienced it. Eagles losing at halftime? They would be booed off the field on their way to the locker room.

I ain't weeping any alligator tears for Jay or anyone millionaire who has to suffer through some booing. That's one reason why pro QB's make more money in one year than most guys on this board (including me) will make in our entire lives. Suck it up and take it.

Originally posted by gulfcoastphan

My point exactly. Singling out Miami fans for this criticism is simply endemic to the overall vendetta that many people show. Some of you who live in Central Florida must still be very new to that part of the state or are oblivious to what goes on around you. You may recall the competition between Miami and Orlando for the NBA franchise and the vitriol that came out of Orlando that was directed to Miami was absolutely disgusting and classless. How easily some forget and become hypocrites.

Miami has to get rid of all of the new yorkers.......
i hate having all these transplanted northeners down here........ i have lived here for 30 years, MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!!!!! And have been to fin games since i was 3. I have had season tickets for 10 years and i personally snicker when people say we have bad fans.
Do you know why Green Bay has such good fan??????? BECAUSE THE PACKERS ARE ALL THEY HAVE!!!!!!!!!
I am stumped about cleveland, especially since they ahve a worse history than cincinatti.
I tailgate every sunday and there are so many dedicated finfans and i cant beleive that one of our own would say we are bad fans.......(oliver) YOU live in orlando so you dont know this town like i do............
I am personally insulted when people make fun of our fans.......
THEY ARE MAKING FUN OF US!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been to a few packer games....... and they are just like us........ they boo one minute and cheer the next........ thats something t.v. doesnt show..........

We also have so many activities to do here...... beach, swim, PLAY sports, w
we also have other sports teams that we have to be dedicated too........ heat, marlins(barely), panthers, canes

Originally posted by Dol_Fan5434
Miami has to get rid of all of the new yorkers.......
i hate having all these transplanted northeners down here........ i have lived here for 30 years, MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!!!!! And have been to fin games since i was 3. I have had season tickets for 10 years and i personally snicker when people say we have bad fans.
Do you know why Green Bay has such good fan??????? BECAUSE THE PACKERS ARE ALL THEY HAVE!!!!!!!!!
I am stumped about cleveland, especially since they ahve a worse history than cincinatti.
I tailgate every sunday and there are so many dedicated finfans and i cant beleive that one of our own would say we are bad fans.......(oliver) YOU live in orlando so you dont know this town like i do............
I am personally insulted when people make fun of our fans.......
THEY ARE MAKING FUN OF US!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been to a few packer games....... and they are just like us........ they boo one minute and cheer the next........ thats something t.v. doesnt show..........

We also have so many activities to do here...... beach, swim, PLAY sports, w
we also have other sports teams that we have to be dedicated too........ heat, marlins(barely), panthers, canes

I love Miami and want to move there when I am done with all my school which will be like 7 years, but I guess you don't want me because I am from NY. :(

Don't worry, when I move down there I'll still be a Dolfan. NYers move there because NYC is a ****hole and Miami is great, but it must be hard to live in a place with lots of Jets fans, there are tons here and its awful. :( lol

Don't worry Ice. I welcome and accept you, so long as you leave your driving habits in NY.:D

Well, I should admit that the out-of-towners are right when they say that driving habits here do not exactly epitomize courtesy or acknowledgement of the law.

As a confirmed new urbanist, I'm always walking and when crossing the streets I've taken to the habit of holding my metal-tipped umbrella out in front of me and pointing it in the direction that the cars are coming from. I've made contact on more than one occasion.

They're also right in the source of immigration here. From personal experience driving regulations in many Latin countries are non-existent and usually ignored when they're on the books.

Back
Top Bottom