An early look at the draft's top 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

An early look at the draft's top 10

Boone

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
1. San Diego Chargers -- Eli Manning, QB, Mississippi. They lost out on their chance to take his brother when the Colts took him and they had to settle for Ryan Leaf. This time, they should take a Manning, a player who will be a star just like his brother.

2. Oakland Raiders -- Roy Williams, WR, Texas. There is already talk Oakland owner Al Davis is high on Williams. Davis loves that big-play receiver who can stretch the field, and Williams can be that guy. If they pass on Miami (Ohio) quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, they obviously think Rich Gannon can play again or they are ready to sign a veteran (Mark Brunell?).

3. Arizona Cardinals -- Ben Roethlisberger. They have Jeff Blake and Josh McCown. There is no way they can pass on this big, strong mobile quarterback. But they are the Cardinals, aren't they? He gave up his senior year to enter the draft.

4. New York Giants -- Shawn Andrews, RT, Arkansas. The Giants line is awful and they need a right tackle; Andrews can be the powerful drive-blocker they need. The one concern is his weight, and some say he is close to 400 pounds. He is another junior who gave up his senior year.

5. Washington Redskins -- Tommie Harris, DT, Oklahoma. They have a ton of needs, but none more than a powerful defensive lineman that can stop the run and pressure the quarterback. Harris is a junior who is expected to forgo his senior season. The Skins could also take a hard look at Virginia Tech running back Kevin Jones.

6. Detroit Lions -- Kevin Jones, RB, Virginia Tech. They have a young quarterback in Joey Harrington, a young receiver in Charles Rogers and now they need the young back. Jones is the big-play back of this draft, although Oregon State's Steven Jackson will also get some consideration. Jones is a junior who has declared.

7. Atlanta Falcons (tied with Cleveland, will be decided by coin flip) -- Sean Taylor, S, Miami. With the way young tackle Kevin Shaffer has played, they might not need to take an offensive tackle with this pick. But they will consider Iowa tackle Robert Gallery. They have problems in their secondary, especially at safety, so the pick here is Taylor. This is high for a safety, but Taylor is no ordinary safety. Think a bigger Ronnie Lott. He's another junior who will come out. He'll team with Bryan Scott, this year's top pick, to form the best young safety duo in the league.

8. Cleveland Browns -- Robert Gallery, LT, Iowa. Here's where Gallery falls. The Browns have to upgrade their offensive line and getting a premier left tackle will put to ease some of those worries. Gallery has been compared by some to Tony Boselli. That's high praise.

9. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Kellen Winslow, TE, Miami. They pass on an outside receiver in Reggie Williams of Washington or Michael Clayton of LSU to take Winslow, a junior who will be in this draft. He will become Byron Leftwich's security blanket, a star in the middle of the field. He will be much like his father, and that type of player can't be passed up in the top 10 for a team that needs a pass-catching threat.

10. Houston Texans -- Vince Wilfork, DT, Miami. He's a powerful inside force and with the Texans facing some uncertainty with Seth Payne's knee injury they need to address that position. Wilfork has to watch his weight, though. He tends to blow up.

Potential top 10 breakthroughs: Jackson, Ohio State CB Chris Gamble, Ohio State DE Will Smith, Reggie Williams and, of course, Larry Fitzgerald of Pitt if he finds his way into the draft.

I don't see urgency in Cardinals drafting Qb when they other more pressing needs.I think Josh Mcnown could develop into a good QB and they still have Blake as a secuirty blanket.

I can see the cardinals trading that pick down .. possibly with dare I say NE whoi has two picks in round one. If I were Az , I would be asking the pats for their 2 picks plus a 3rd for the overall one , which they can in turn use on a big time wr.. maybe fitzgerald.

A new coach in Arizona won't want a big name QB to deal with. He will want McCown who he can develop into a good QB.

I can't see WR for them. I see another trade down coming this year for them and then drafting a defensive player.

I'd actually be interested to see who picks up Casey Clausen in the 3rd or 4th round...

Originally posted by Center
I'd actually be interested to see who picks up Casey Clausen in the 3rd or 4th round...

More likely 6th or 7th. There are a lot of so-so QBs in this draft.

I don't see urgency in Cardinals drafting Qb when they other more pressing needs.I think Josh Mcnown could develop into a good QB and they still have Blake as a secuirty blanket.

There's urgency to put fans in the stands & either QB would do that. A defensive player like Wilfork won't do that.

They learned that with Emitt Smith, I am not saying they are the same but the most important thing is to win. They will pick what they really really need. I can see Arizona taking Sean Taylor. They need playmakers on D and if they can snatch Wilson from Denver they will have a much improved D.

Back
Top Bottom