An early telltale... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

An early telltale...

Keep in mind that lineman who are really good generally aren't penalized because they don't have to overly exert themselves to win the matchup. Guys who aren't very good get a lot of false starts because they're trying so hard to get off the snap as fast as possible to give them a chance or hold a lot because they can't block for real every snap.

That isn't really a discipline problem so much as a lack of talent problem.
Linemen don't always have to "win" the battle...........just "getting in the way" can be sucessful!

Not so much. We’ll be outplayed by better players. I’m not talking about the usual things that happen in football. They’re always gonna happen.

I’m talking about 3rd and 3 with a false start. 3rd and four for the other guys and we jump. A nice gain negated by, you guessed it, a hold.

It’s not just the penalties we get. It’s when we get them. That’s the killer. We’ve had lots of teams on the ropes, pinned back, third and whatever, and we foolishly gift wrap them a first down through a penalty. Or the opposite on O.

We can play excellent football (with what we have) and still get thumped by teams that play less than excellent football but have tremendous talent. This will happen.
Errors, or mistakes come in all kinds of packages.
The one's you mentioned, as well as dropped balls, missed 3rd down conversions, missed FGs, penalties of all types, missed tackles, poor punts, etc.
If Flores can eliminate mistakes, we'll have a shot.

We’re not going to win a bunch this year. This is generally accepted as fact. Guys say, Oh, well, you never know....maybe they’ll smoke everybody.

Yeah. We do know. It’ll be rough.

And that’s OK if they start getting it right. I don’t expect much if anything out of the O. RBs kinda need a line as much as QBs.

So how can we tell if this might work?

No more idiocy. Stupid little mistakes. I don’t care if we get creamed for awhile (and we will!) IF they are playing error free football. False starts, offsides, holds, standing on the other teams sideline (yes I know Kiko is gone but really, HOW DO YOU **** THAT UP???).

I don’t think the reason we have been regarded so poorly is because we haven’t done much. It’s HOW we screw ourselves, look like a comedy of errors, the 53 Stooges.

Penalties happen. But not to the magnitude that we pull them off. Or worse, the timing.

We clean that up, then I’ll start buying into Flores, win or lose.

Curious, did you watch the preseason games???

Thats definitely part of what to look for but the aquiring of talent must be part of the picture. Currently we are just a used tire store full of retreads.

I only count maybe 3 retreads on this team. There's 853 guys on this team under 25. Denney is gone, and Fitzpatrick of Beard is the old guy now. I see a bunch of tires that haven't even been put on a car yet.

We have 15 returning drafted players that are not rookies. We have all 6 of those on the roster. That leaves us with 32 retreads most of them aquired this year.
Calling them retreads is not really perfect. They may have been slower to learn a playbook, slower to learn the importance of nutrition, now receiving better coaching, or a scheme fit that suits better. I understand we will not likely win many games. I do want to see who is a pro player and who is not.

I agree 100%. I want to see this team lose because they are not as good physically as the other team. I don’t want to lose because of bad penalties, blown coverages, Raekwon McMillan trying to cover Julian Edelman, missed blocking assignments, shoddy tackling, mind boggling game plans, Mike Gesicki one on one with a NFL DE, dropped passes, bad sacks (Jab) or making players do things they suck at. If we are forcing teams to beat us physically the staff has the team trending in the right direction.

Yeah, hopefully we see a much more disciplined team and a team that is prepared to play every week. That wasn't the case with Adam Gase.

It's going to be a tough season. The offensive line looks like an expansion team, two rookies starting, several castoffs, questions everywhere. That's going to make it really tough on the offense to score points.

I only count maybe 3 retreads on this team. There's 853 guys on this team under 25. Denney is gone, and Fitzpatrick of Beard is the old guy now. I see a bunch of tires that haven't even been put on a car yet.
Maybe on a Dolphin rim but they have been on rims all over the NFL

We’re not going to win a bunch this year. This is generally accepted as fact. Guys say, Oh, well, you never know....maybe they’ll smoke everybody.

Yeah. We do know. It’ll be rough.

And that’s OK if they start getting it right. I don’t expect much if anything out of the O. RBs kinda need a line as much as QBs.

So how can we tell if this might work?

No more idiocy. Stupid little mistakes. I don’t care if we get creamed for awhile (and we will!) IF they are playing error free football. False starts, offsides, holds, standing on the other teams sideline (yes I know Kiko is gone but really, HOW DO YOU **** THAT UP???).

I don’t think the reason we have been regarded so poorly is because we haven’t done much. It’s HOW we screw ourselves, look like a comedy of errors, the 53 Stooges.

Penalties happen. But not to the magnitude that we pull them off. Or worse, the timing.

We clean that up, then I’ll start buying into Flores, win or lose.
I bet we don’t take 4 timeouts in a hapf anymore - sorry, Green Bay - no help for you this time.

Wouldn't AB be considered a retread? Josh Gordon? Randy Moss? Worked out for them......

Every player that does not stay with one team their entire career is a retread.....
Yep your right they were elite retreads we are getting bottom of the barrel or medorcre retreads. Usually even the elite retreads have issues.

Back
Top Bottom