An Honest Take On Gase And The Dolphins After Week 12 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

An Honest Take On Gase And The Dolphins After Week 12

Great write up, and I completely agree with the author of the article. One part in particular stood out to me, which I found kind of funny myself when the narrative changed once again last offseason:

"It makes me chuckle when I hear that phrase. “Changing the culture” usually refers to changing the culture of losing. It’s when a coach is at a loss of what to do with a group of players and fire sells a core of starters and brings high priced FA’s to “change the culture.” Sadly, it’s the first and last sign of a coach bleeding out."

Gase sure has changed the "culture" alright, by leaving this franchise much worse off than when he first arrived here. Bang up job, pal.

I’ve been on the fire Gase wagon since early 2017 but I’m willing to give him these 5 games. Make the playoffs or get out of town.
That's laughable. Not laughing at you, but the notion of that being in the realm of possibility. I will give you, because it all I have to wager with, all my trophy pts. if we make the playoffs. I always want the team to do well, but there is no way in Hell we are making the playoffs.

That's laughable. Not laughing at you, but the notion of that being in the realm of possibility. I will give you, because it all I have to wager with, all my trophy pts. if we make the playoffs. I always want the team to do well, but there is no way in Hell we are making the playoffs.
I believe it would take a miracle to make the playoffs but that’s the only scenario where I would be ok going into 2019 with Gase.

I believe it would take a miracle to make the playoffs but that’s the only scenario where I would be ok going into 2019 with Gase.

Understandable, but what do you think will happen if Miami DOESN'T make the playoffs? You know, the reality stuff.

Can you point me to why the drafting has been a "disgrace"? That's an awfully bold term to use and I just want to understand the reasoning behind it from your point of view.

From our last 6 drafts here are the impact players that came out of them. 2016 was actually a good draft but the rest are all avg to poor.

2018: Minkah, Baker, Sanders (future star, future avg starter, kicker)
2017: Godchaux, Taylor (avg/backup lineman)
2016: Tunsil, X, Drake, Grant (actually an excellent draft, lucky Tunsil fell to us)
2015: McCain, Ajayi (2 starters, 1 gone before 2nd contract)
2014: Juwuan James, Landry (2 starters, 1 gone before 2nd contract)
2013: Hot Garbage, 1 player still left in league I believe, 0 on team

I actually think free agency has been worse than our drafting, but neither has been good for years. I mean that is roughly 42 draft picks that produced about 3 stars and a few starters.

From our last 6 drafts here are the impact players that came out of them. 2016 was actually a good draft but the rest are all avg to poor.

2018: Minkah, Baker, Sanders (future star, future avg starter, kicker)
2017: Godchaux, Taylor (avg/backup lineman)
2016: Tunsil, X, Drake, Grant (actually an excellent draft, lucky Tunsil fell to us)
2015: McCain, Ajayi (2 starters, 1 gone before 2nd contract)
2014: Juwuan James, Landry (2 starters, 1 gone before 2nd contract)
2013: Hot Garbage, 1 player still left in league I believe, 0 on team

I actually think free agency has been worse than our drafting, but neither has been good for years. I mean that is roughly 42 draft picks that produced about 3 stars and a few starters.

I would agree with you on free agency at least recently as we are trying to band aid problems.

I don't agree that the drafting has been a disgrace though. There have been solid selections from the draft, you win some, you lose some but it is probably about average for the league. For me, I like to look at selections in a 3 year bubble. First year, jitters. Second year, time to come into your own. Third year, time to start performing. So in that data set, we are looking at 2016 selections now which are looking pretty money. Next year we will see about the 17 class. At least that's how I look at it.

As far as what happens with those draft selections when rookie contracts are up is where we have a problem IMO. The FO loves to sign big contracts to people who should go and jettison players for mediocre draft picks when they should stay. It's kind of disturbing.

Understandable, but what do you think will happen if Miami DOESN'T make the playoffs? You know, the reality stuff.
I think if we don't make the playoffs, Matt Burke will get fired (rightfully so IMO) and Gase will return in 2019 (not saying I agree with that).

I would agree with you on free agency at least recently as we are trying to band aid problems.

I don't agree that the drafting has been a disgrace though. There have been solid selections from the draft, you win some, you lose some but it is probably about average for the league. For me, I like to look at selections in a 3 year bubble. First year, jitters. Second year, time to come into your own. Third year, time to start performing. So in that data set, we are looking at 2016 selections now which are looking pretty money. Next year we will see about the 17 class. At least that's how I look at it.

As far as what happens with those draft selections when rookie contracts are up is where we have a problem IMO. The FO loves to sign big contracts to people who should go and jettison players for mediocre draft picks when they should stay. It's kind of disturbing.

Agreed. Recently it seems they have gotten a little better in FA as far as not overspending, but they've done a lot of damage in the past (Suh, Reshad, Branch, etc). I don't understand the getting rid of our own players either. Years ago I would have kept Richard Matthews and Lamar Miller, rather than opening up more and more holes which they seem to do every year. The sad reality is Tannenbaum needs to go and prob Grier with him. However, I don't know who can convince Ross of that since Tbaum is the one always in his ear.

Could be, but I think a lot depends on how Gase rebounds from this loss. It was a game that Indianapolis was favored to win after all and Miami played well for the most part, coming close to an upset victory. How does Gase now adapt? Does he have the ability to make the changes in his play calling, selection of coaches, etc. to move the team in the right direction?

We are not bottom of barrel team but we are fur away from Superbowl trip or winnings one.

This team sucks. Everything about it sucks.

Everyone knew that coming in, why are you all so upset after a loss when this team doesn’t have the talent to compete weekly at the most important spots on the NFL field.

This was a 2-5 win team. It’s crazy we were above .500 at one point.

I agree, lol.

He needs the ghosts of christmas past, present, and future to come to him in his sleep and give him a new DC, a new playbook, and a pair of testicles.

THAT would be a Christmas miracle!

This team sucks. Everything about it sucks.

Everyone knew that coming in, why are you all so upset after a loss when this team doesn’t have the talent to compete weekly at the most important spots on the NFL field.

This was a 2-5 win team. It’s crazy we were above .500 at one point.

The MOST important position on the field is on the sideline, and you're right, we lack the talent to compete there.

I dont care what was "supposed" to happen. The fins had this game won. We out-performed indy right up until the 8 minute mark.

Gase **** the bed. His complete disregard of the defensive side of the ball is appalling. What kind of head coach does that?

And despite the fact he devotes 100% of his gametime attention to the offense, he still has a bottom of the league offense. How is that even possible?

It doesnt matter which "slot" receiver we have, or which QB we have. His offense is always the same, and it always blows.

Sorry, but I'm tired of hearing players getting blamed for the pathetic excuse of a coaching staff that we have.

Please you'd have to be an idiot to think we would win that 2014 game vs the Patriots. I can't believe that is marked as Philbin's demise. I don't remember the exact situation but I remember I gave us no chance and was SHOCKED we were tied at 13 going into half time. Anyway, this was a bad game but I'm willing to see how things play out. The bottom line is all the coaching in the world isn't getting this team to the Super Bowl. Seriously, this team has no shot to go into KC, Pittsburgh, or NE and win a playoff game with the best staff of all time. From here on out I just want to see Gase and Tannehill go down swinging. You can't got into the fetal position with the game on the line, you have to try and win it.

The playoff scenarios (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!) aren't as bad as some think . 10-6 (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!) we have a really good shot. Otherwise we can likely afford a loss to Minnesota only, meaning we beat NE (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!) and for some reason win the tiebreaker as long as there are is a 3 way tie of 9 and 7's. The Colts are now the biggest issue as they have been red hot but face the red hot Texans, division rival Jax. in there house and Tennessee who should be embarrassed and give a good effort. Biggest thing to me, go down swinging!!!!

Please you'd have to be an idiot to think we would win that 2014 game vs the Patriots. I can't believe that is marked as Philbin's demise. I don't remember the exact situation but I remember I gave us no chance and was SHOCKED we were tied at 13 going into half time. Anyway, this was a bad game but I'm willing to see how things play out. The bottom line is all the coaching in the world isn't getting this team to the Super Bowl. Seriously, this team has no shot to go into KC, Pittsburgh, or NE and win a playoff game with the best staff of all time. From here on out I just want to see Gase and Tannehill go down swinging. You can't got into the fetal position with the game on the line, you have to try and win it.

The playoff scenarios (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!) aren't as bad as some think . 10-6 (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!) we have a really good shot. Otherwise we can likely afford a loss to Minnesota only, meaning we beat NE (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!) and for some reason win the tiebreaker as long as there are is a 3 way tie of 9 and 7's. The Colts are now the biggest issue as they have been red hot but face the red hot Texans, division rival Jax. in there house and Tennessee who should be embarrassed and give a good effort. Biggest thing to me, go down swinging!!!!

As crazy as it sounds, we can actually still win the division. We can win these next 3 games and NE can easily lose them, giving us the same record. Not that I expect that to happen, but we do well against NE in Miami and NE will have it tough in PIT. We just really need Kirk to show up big this week, that's actually a critical game for us, of course assuming we basically win out.

I will never give up on this team until they're officially dead unlike Adam Gase.

Just a little bit better coaching (and health) and we would be 7-4 imo, but Gase has had a rough season yet again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom