An observation. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

An observation.

SirDrums

I like big drums and I cannot lie.......
Club Member
Reaction score
I am typing this almost half asleep.. i hope I dont regret posting this in the morning :lol:

I live in Alabama, 98% of the guys I work with are rabid 'bama fans. I am a bama fan myself but am only rabid about the dolphins so I get to see how fanbases react to events.

I see alot of simularities between Miami football and alabama football. Both teams have a storied and prestiegious history filled with many great teams and names. Miami has had Dan Marino, Don Shula and the 72 phins. 'Bama has had the Bear and 12 national Championships. As a result, both fanbases have come to expect and even demand their teams stay on the top of their leagues.

What is funny about these two teams is that both teams are going through hard times at the same time. Miami hasn't won the big game since the 70's. "bama hasn't won a Nat. Championship since '93. Niehter team has even been a real contender in the last 6-10 years it seems.

Because both fasnbases are not used to these types of long dry spells I hear alot similarities in the same typ of talk amognst fans. Would you believe that 'bama fans thought that all the offensive play calls were horrible this year too? Would you believe that aftert every loss they would call for the head of Shula? Said he was't the right fit, was to soft, was out of his league etc etc. Alot of these Saban threads I have read tonight could pass for shula threads if you would just put shula in the place of saban.

As most of us know, the fans at 'bama got their way and ran off Shula just to run him off. Look at where they are now. They can't find a coach to save thier life right now. why? bc no one wants to coach for a place that expects a national championship the 2nd year after sanctions were removed.

Saban is in a similar situation, he inherited a 4-12 team with years of wasted draft picks and wasted talent. We as the spoiled fanbae want a SB in just a few years.

So, in closing, I think we all need to sit back and ***** just what we have going here. I think Saban is a gret HC and can take this team places. We just need to be patient. We don't want to end up in the mess the 'bama organization is finding themselves in. If you don't think we can run Saban off, you're wrong, he is human and has his limits too. You don't find great coaches with great potential all the time. And if you think everyone is dying to coach here, just keep running coaches out of town and see what happens.

Just an observation.

I agree with you 100%. We have some rabid fans... if they run of Saban... we will regret it for the rest of the decade. If saban goes the team will be sold in three yrs. We will not compete for the next decade.

Can't believe shula only had two yrs after sanctions... man...

malzj said:
I agree with you 100%. We have some rabid fans... if they run of Saban... we will regret it for the rest of the decade. If saban goes the team will be sold in three yrs. We will not compete for the next decade.

Can't believe shula only had two yrs after sanctions... man...

Know of bama fans quit well and met a many being an SEC / LSU fan myself. There are some similarities in the expectations of both fan bases. When a fan base has a storied past the expectations will always be high.

Bama has run off their coaches by not following in the steps of the Bear. Our Bear is of course the great Shula. I believe the Dolphin nation will always have high expectations. There are certain folks (and not to call out any particular fans as this is just a generalization) in the fan base who take the rabid approach like some Bama fans. Every fan base especially those within organizations with a rich history has them. And there are others who know that we can't run off coaches and concede what this present regime inherited.

I am willing to give Saban another chance. But having stated that we need to have a chance that does not mean another step back in '07 and '08. There comes a time when the buck can't be passed. Unfortunately in the NFL its three years (maybe four depending on how bad a team was before the start of a new regime) and not much more. Its a win now league. Folks calling for Saban's head NOW are understandably emotional but are taking the rabid approach without appreciating the consequences of lack of continuity and stability. Though its a win now mentality in the NFL Saban still needs another year considering the circumstances. I am hoping for the best that the setbacks this year lead to lessons learned for a better future.

NEVER GIVE UP FAITH
GO DOLPHINS

This is amazing. After today's game I was telling my friend we are Alabama minus the 92 title. I say that because both teams have traditions and programs that their fans are extremely proud of yet when you really look at it, haven't done diddly squat in 30 years. You can say all you want about Bear Bryant but Alabama has been an afterthought for years (minus the 92 title), and the 72 Dolphins and Marino are great but we haven't even been to an AFC title game in almost 15 years.

SirDrums said:
I am typing this almost half asleep.. i hope I dont regret posting this in the morning :lol:

I live in Alabama, 98% of the guys I work with are rabid 'bama fans. I am a bama fan myself but am only rabid about the dolphins so I get to see how fanbases react to events.

I see alot of simularities between Miami football and alabama football. Both teams have a storied and prestiegious history filled with many great teams and names. Miami has had Dan Marino, Don Shula and the 72 phins. 'Bama has had the Bear and 12 national Championships. As a result, both fanbases have come to expect and even demand their teams stay on the top of their leagues.

What is funny about these two teams is that both teams are going through hard times at the same time. Miami hasn't won the big game since the 70's. "bama hasn't won a Nat. Championship since '93. Niehter team has even been a real contender in the last 6-10 years it seems.

Because both fasnbases are not used to these types of long dry spells I hear alot similarities in the same typ of talk amognst fans. Would you believe that 'bama fans thought that all the offensive play calls were horrible this year too? Would you believe that aftert every loss they would call for the head of Shula? Said he was't the right fit, was to soft, was out of his league etc etc. Alot of these Saban threads I have read tonight could pass for shula threads if you would just put shula in the place of saban.

As most of us know, the fans at 'bama got their way and ran off Shula just to run him off. Look at where they are now. They can't find a coach to save thier life right now. why? bc no one wants to coach for a place that expects a national championship the 2nd year after sanctions were removed.

Saban is in a similar situation, he inherited a 4-12 team with years of wasted draft picks and wasted talent. We as the spoiled fanbae want a SB in just a few years.

So, in closing, I think we all need to sit back and ***** just what we have going here. I think Saban is a gret HC and can take this team places. We just need to be patient. We don't want to end up in the mess the 'bama organization is finding themselves in. If you don't think we can run Saban off, you're wrong, he is human and has his limits too. You don't find great coaches with great potential all the time. And if you think everyone is dying to coach here, just keep running coaches out of town and see what happens.

Just an observation.
This is what i don't get. What has Saban done in the NFL to prove that he's a "great head coach"? He hasn't done a thing. He's screwed up both drafts, his biggest free agent aquisition has been a drag so far, and he hired a bum offensive coordinator. His career record as an NFL coach is 15-15, hardly great. This whole patience thing is crazy. The guy has not made any of the right moves as the HC of this organization.

You are crazy if you expected some miracle turnaround from this team. 15-15 is far better than what I expected after watching us trip over ourselves to 4 wins in 04. How exactly did he fail in his drafts? Ronnie was the only choice we had, we were unlucky that Leinart or Young or Bush weren't there. Roth and Crowder are playing well. Daniels has been serviceable. The DL has a lot of youth and potential. He's done fine. We won't know if they were bad drafts for another couple of years. The only mistake Saban has made that reflects anything on our team is Brees/Culpepper and i would have gone with Daunte myself. Look at the Saints. 37 new players or whatever and they still have a porous run defense with an average run game and basically are successful because their QB is a stud throwing a bunch of nobody overachieving WRs. They got lucky with Reggie. Saban is more unlucky than he is incompetent. His GM moves have been poor in the FA market but that's another story.

BgBruthaJuvi said:
You are crazy if you expected some miracle turnaround from this team. 15-15 is far better than what I expected after watching us trip over ourselves to 4 wins in 04. How exactly did he fail in his drafts? Ronnie was the only choice we had, we were unlucky that Leinart or Young or Bush weren't there. Roth and Crowder are playing well. Daniels has been serviceable. The DL has a lot of youth and potential. He's done fine. We won't know if they were bad drafts for another couple of years. The only mistake Saban has made that reflects anything on our team is Brees/Culpepper and i would have gone with Daunte myself. Look at the Saints. 37 new players or whatever and they still have a porous run defense with an average run game and basically are successful because their QB is a stud throwing a bunch of nobody overachieving WRs. They got lucky with Reggie. Saban is more unlucky than he is incompetent. His GM moves have been poor in the FA market but that's another story.
The only guy he's drafted that has been worth it has been Crowder, who I am a big fan of. Everyone else is either filler or underachieving, ESPECIALLY Ronnie Brown. He's not stud, he's not star, he's an average NFL back. Saban has ruined our last 2 drafts and I think for our ship to be righted, he should not have a single bit of say in personnel moves. He needs to coach, and beyond that just keep his mouth shut.

Back
Top Bottom