An Offensive Consultant | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

An Offensive Consultant

KB21

Club Member
Reaction score
I'm just offering an opinion here, but I think it would be a good think if Nick Saban looked into adding an offensive consultant to the staff after he makes his offensive coordinator hire. Of course, he would need to wait till after he brings in his coordinator and then bring in a guy that knows the particular base system that coordinator uses. The guy I had in mind when thinking of this was Gary Tranquil. Nick Saban was an assistant coach on Tranquil's staff at Navy, and when he got the Michigan State job, he hired Tranquil to be his offensive coordinator. Tranquil was also the quarterbacks coach for a while in Cleveland when Bill Belichick and Nick Saban coached there.

Gary Tranquil is currently the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at North Carolina. His system is the multiple offense, so it would only make sense to bring him in if the coordinator hired runs that offense.

However, if Nick Saban hires a guy that runs the west coast offense, like Ray Sherman or maybe Pat Shurmur, then it would make sense to bring in a guy that has worked in that system. A possibility could be retired offensive coordinator Rod Dowhower, who Nick coached with in Cleveland and who was Andy Reid's offensive coordinator through 2001 in Philadelphia.

I don't believe having an offensive consultant would create a sense of two people trying to do one job. I do feel that it would be a situation where they could utilize his knowledge of the particular system to "clean" things up on the field that an offensive coordinator may not have a lot of time to do.

You could possibly even bring a guy like that in and give him the title of assistant head coach only. Basically, a coach that can be a sounding board for the offense as well as Nick Saban on offensive issues. It would be especially good if Nick did go with a young, inexperienced coordinator such as Pat Shurmur.

Back
Top Bottom