An Open Letter to The Dolphin Faithful | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

An Open Letter to The Dolphin Faithful

Surferosa

Run to Daylight
Reaction score
Forgive me Dolfans for I have sinned. I know its early in the season. I know KC is a tough venue to play in. I know we're not going to win every game.

Nonetheless, it was still painfully difficult for me to visit the board this morning after such an excruciating loss, only to reiterate the upsetting facts that we all already know:

1) The defense was horrible
2) Fiedler threw 4 INT's
3) OL injuries are again threatening us again

Its painful to listen to people analyze, second-guess and critique our beloved team -for better or for worse- after enjoying these last three weeks of pure bliss, optimism and lofty expectations.

In short, its painful to come back to reality after such a euphoric start to the season.

Having said that, I'm here posting like the rest of you because I am unabashed in expressing my unadulterated passion to discuss Dolphins football. Let me say this aloud - I LOVE THIS TEAM and will stand by it through thick and thin - through winning streaks and losing seasons. I was a fan when Don McNeal let Riggins slide through his hands in '82, when Montana out dueled Marino in '84, when Fred Taylor (and Jay Fiedler) sent JJ and Dan packing in '99. And G-d help me, I will stand by our team after this weeks loss to the Chiefs.

There I said it! Finally beginning to feel a bit better....:)

(please don’t let us lose next week, I don’t think I can handle it...)

Can anyone empathize with this semi-obsessed Dolphin fan?

Like I have already said in another post...the worst thing about losing a game, is having to come to the boards and sift through all the doomsday threads. Sometimes I wish I could just go back to being a regular fan, but life just isn't that simple.

Enjoy the highs, and even the lows, as you would have no frame of reference if everything was always perfect.

I want to mention a couple things. Three of Jay's four picks were a result of being down. Peyton Manning had a terrible defense last season, and he was usually behind. He is a quality starting NFL QB, and he threw a ton of picks.

When you get out of your game plan, and your forced to do things you don't normally do, bad stuff usually happens. Jay was probably feeling just like I was feeling. Our defense finally gets a stop, and damnit I need to get us some points.

Sore finger, always having to play catch-up, it's bad.

I want to know this; if they had stuck to the run, and Jay hadn't thrown a single INT, and we still lost 30-48, how would you feel? It could have very easily been three and out more often had they stuck to the run...you just never know. We might not have even scored 30 points.

Losses happen, and while they suck, at least there is next week, and at least Mark Dixon isn't out for the year.

I hear ya man...........

I was born and raised in Miami, when all we had were the Canes, Dolphins and the AAA Miami Marlins (baseball)...So South Fla. Football is all I know.

I've been through the good, the bad and the ugly of our beloved franchise.....so I do know exactly how you feel.

I'm the type of fan that after a loss, doesn't want to watch SPORTSCENTER or anything sports related because it pains me to see my boys go down in defeat. I can't stand it... never have never will. I affects me deeply.

However by the time Thursday's roll around and talk of our next game starts hitting the airwaves, I almost forget about the loss. On Thursdays life is great again. It's almost like a grieving process.

I am still grieving the loss to KC, and more so because I was there to witness that disaster.....but thank God there is always Thursday, to make some of the pain subside.

I too love my Dolphins and whatever happens good, bad or ugly, I will continue to give them my unconditional support. It's called LOYALTY folks....

I will remain LOYAL win, lose or draw, and I hope each and everyone of you do the same.

I can understand what you are saying. While I may or may not agree with everything, I do see the emotion behind the words.

I have a few problems too. While I do not believe the Dolphins ever would go undefeated, I do think they can win most of their schedule.

One of my problems is watching a game that the Dolphins should win, but lose horribly. Such as Sunday's game. While a loss would be accepted by myself, I cannot accept the fashion in which we played. Just the fact that we could of played better then we did makes it unacceptable to me. Losing a game is not the end all, but losing it because you played like chumps is.

Many have stated that hopefully this will bring the team down to earth and play like a team. We'll see this upcoming Sunday. But I don't think we're a better team the the Pats. We have better players, but they play better as a team.

I'm also worried about Jay. No, I'm not dogging him. I'm concerned that the past two games his throws are off by a margin that is not good. His finger hurts. Understood. But look at his throws. Many of them were off the mark making the receivers have to make finger tip catches. If you watched him throw, you could see him grimace afterwards. So I'm thinking that many missed passes, and some complete ones, are due to him playing with a hurt throwing hand.

Ah well....I digress. :sleep:

Great post Surferosa, but Adphinistrator87,...ummm...what is a message board for if we the fans are not entitled to our various opinions ? While I agree some get WAY out of line, fans sharing opinions is what the message board is for is it not?

now isn't the time to worry. that was a complete loss. no ONE player/coach can be blamed. like i stated in another post, this is a tough venue.

lets just chalk this one up to experience, or wake up call and PREPARE for the Pats. now if we lose next week...well then i would start to worry.;)

I would rather lose like we did, not plaing a great game, killing our selves with penalties and stupid mistakes, then to play a great game and still lose.. these are things we can correct.. if we played a great game and lost, what more can you do, you are just not good enough, then you have to hope for luck or injuries or the other team to make mistakes to win.. and that has been the way I have felt for a while.. I would always hope the best player of the other team was out, or maybe it was a letdown game for them, always looking for an edge... but not anymore.. now I want to play each team at their best.. to know we are truly better. and when I looked at this last game I feel good.. we played a horrible game, we had 5 turnovers, didn't force any, trent green and gonzonlez(sp) had the games of their life. and we still could have pulled this out.. our mistakes can be fixed with a little practice and concentration.
The exciting part is the talent is there!

I don't know gottahavefootball, I think I would rather play a flawless game and lose knowing we were beat by a better team than suck it up and lose to a team you feel you should have beat...just my opinion though.

maybe in the playoffs or the superbowl.. . but right now, I don't wanna know that there is a better team out there.. right now, if we lose I wanna be able to say, we made a mistake here or there, but not that we got our buts kicked 'cause they were the better team..
I like the problems that can be fixed, lack of talent cannot be fixed right now.. mistakes can.. as long as we focus down the stretch and play good ball in dec for once, I won't mind if we drop a few now..
and we did beat the jets... that's makes things ok for a week or 2

I gotta agree with "gottahavefootball"... Unless its an elimination round (playoffs or superbowl) I would rather our team get beat because they didn't play their best when they could have won if they did as opposed to playing our best and getting beat by a better team...

Although, the worst and most frustrating kind of loss must be where you don't play your best but you know that even if you did you would still suffer a humiliating defeat... A feeling I'm sure that Jet fans know all too well:)

Thank god im not a Jets fan!

Ahh Grasshopper, Please allow me to express my sentiments concerning sundays loss. It also pain's me to no end. In the past, FPL, would also take the loss on mondays cause my insides were usually torn assunder. Fortunately, for me and FPL, we have not suffered that many losses so I went on to retire from that establishment after 32 yrs.. I am now rejoycing because I've found a great place to watch the Phins. "HiJackers", located at the Bunnell Airport in Flagler Co.. 125 - 130 Phin Fans belonging to" Phin Fans of Flagler" hoot and holler and enjoy $ 1.25 beer and great food. I love it!! Looking forward to next sunday. Keep the faith Phin Fans. We will prevail!!!!

Originally posted by Adphinistrator87
Like I have already said in another post...the worst thing about losing a game, is having to come to the boards and sift through all the doomsday threads. Sometimes I wish I could just go back to being a regular fan, but life just isn't that simple.

You misunderstood. This isnt a doomsday thread at all. I never said Fiedler sucked - I reiterrated a fact, that he threw 4 int's. (BTW, Im a long-time Fiedler supporter and continue to be so). But thats not the point.

SGT Dolphin said it best- After a loss - any loss - its hard to even read the newspaper the next day and difficult to watch game highlights, etc. And its especially hard to come here and listen to post game analysis - for better or for worse - about a team that we are all both psychologically and emotionally attached to (hope my wife doesnt read this :D )

But as SGT Dolphin said, as the week moves along, optimism slowly returns (both in my head and on this board), the adrenalaine starts pumping, and suddenly last weeks woes are forgotton, and the only thing that matters is KNOCKING THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS OF THOSE STINKIN' PATRIOTS ON SUNDAY!!!

Got it?! :fire: :D :cool:

gottahavefootball took the words right off of my keyboard......I would much rather lose knowing we COULD have beaten the other team had we played up to our capabilities than playing our best and getting beat anyway.

WE KNOW we are better than what we showed Sunday and if the circumstances were different, ie; Trent and Gonzo not having a career day, us going completely away from our strengths.....I think we could have easily handled KC.

Back
Top Bottom