Analizing the personalities of the Top 4 QB prospects | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Analizing the personalities of the Top 4 QB prospects

Tannehill was so raw coming out, but his talent was exciting.

In retrospect, he probably should have sat a year. I don't think Philbin did him any favors trying to limit him to a pocket passer. The scouting report on him was tremendous accuracy on the move, but you didn't see a lot of plays designed that way.
Philbin didn't do Tannehill any favors by surrounding him with crap, especially at the receiver positions.

Due to the fact weve needed a QB for going on 20 years, I, just like most of you have probably researched the top QBs of each draft going back to the year 2000. What I always find fascinating are the personalities of the QB prospects comming out of college. How does someone's interviews and overall maturity reflect on camera and with the media and how do those attitudes translate to NFL success. From Johnny Manzel's arrogant antics to Andrew Lucks "ah shucks" humble attitude. Then there are guys in the middle who have a quite confidence like Russell Wilson, so how do these 2020 QBs personalites stack up? Let's discuss in this thread.

If you havnt seen the top 4 QBs get interviewed yet, you should go watch some of them because we have a very interesting group.

These are my observations, right or wrong, just my honest first take opinion on the personalities of these QBs. Feel free to make similar posts with your opinions bc like I said I find this topic fascinating.

Tua - Tua has a real maturity about him. He just comes off as a solid guy who you would want in your corner. Hes not arrogant but he just holds a confident aura around him. Hes likable and probably is comfortable in all social settings. He would be a natural leader in the NFL. I could see a future career in Media after his NFL days are over. In my opinion a 10 out of 10 on my weird personality scale for franchise QBs.

Herbert - Very relaxed and cool cat. Not going to get him riled up easily. Comes off as a hard worker who likes to be part of the system and not the face of the franchise. Seems very likable but not very assertive. Might not have the greatest leadership traits, can be kind of passive. Very nice person, kinda quite, not someone you will see out partying with the team on Mondays. Takes his job very very seriously. Leadership qualities 8 out of 10.

Jordan Love - Seems very solid, not too arrogant and has confidence in his abilities. Hes not the guy that's gonna tell you how talented he is, hell let his on field work prove the point. Seems very likable and with his flashy play style, players will love to play with him. Seems a bit surprised hes going to the NFL, comes off like a guy who's "just glad to be here" and might be shy a bit of the big stage. Kinda of a mommas boy. Harder to get a solid read on him as he hasnt had as much press as the other 3. Leadership Qualities 8.5 out of 10.

Joe Burrow -............ I have to say, no QB prospect has reminded me as much of Ryan Leaf as Joe Burrow. The guy comes off very arrogant, hes confident, but the arrogance is the overriding thing you take away from watching him speak. His team will follow him, as long as hes playing well. I could see his attitude rubbing teammates the wrong way during tough stretches of the season. Not the ideal personality for an NFL QB. Self arrogance on the very high level. Might have all the skills but hes more arrogant than Aaron Rodgers is and the kid hasnt taken a snap in the NFL. My weird personality score for Burrow. 5 out of 10 subpar.

What do you guys think of these guys? Did you have different views of them?
I have a lot of respect for you brother. But I offer a different viewpoint. Any analysis of the top QB's in this draft that leaves out Jacob Eason is incomplete. When it is all said and done, he may be the best QB in this draft. He has the very best arm talent in the draft, with incredible precision, a cannon of an arm, instant-recognition, extremely quick release, and superior accuracy. He lacks consistency, seems to still be developing, only really had 2 years of college play, needs more work on his footwork and discipline using it. But make no mistake about it, Jacob Eason has awesome potential. I'll provide a more thorough review later in this offseason ... but he needs to be in your list brother.

My $0.02 on the 4 you mentioned:

Tua - Rock solid, excellent leader, and always says the right thing. Absolutely a home-run as the face of the franchise. He reminds me a bit of Joe Montana from the personality/psychology perspective, which is very high praise.

Herbert - Good guy, but probably a bit introverted and that will not be held in high regard in a huddle. NFL warriors want their QB to be a take-charge leader and vocal personality. They want him to be the Alpha. Herbert isn't that kind of guy. I see him more as a shy version of Ryan Tannehill personality-wise.

Jordan Love - Probably in between those two guys, not as polished as Tua but enough of a presence to lead a huddle and not a knucklehead like some NFL prospects have been.

Joe Burrow - Probably the best of the lot ... arguably even better than Tua. Joe is smart, fiery, commanding and just the guy to make his teammates believe in him and follow him into the gates of hell.

IMHO, Burrow and Tua stand far above the other QB's from a leadership perspective. The next category would probably be Jacob Eason in a distant 3rd, followed closely by Jordan Love in 4th and Justin Herbert in 5th. None are bad, but Herbert has something to prove in getting his teammates to rally behind him. IMHO, that was the most impressive thing Justin Herbert did at the Senior Bowl was galvanize his teammates behind him. It was more meaningful and helpful to his draft stock than his exceptional play during practices and the game.

I would even go 1 better and say I’d rather analyze a QB by his looks. I know sounds pretty shallow and gay but hear me out.

look at the greats... Marino, Young, Elway, Brady, Aikman, Rodgers.... all dudes that are good looking. My theory is that growing up and being a good looking dude builds confidence. Your naturally more confident. QB is a position where you pretty much need to be very confident... where over confidence is not even a thing. As young men they are killing it on the field but also killing it off. This helps mold them.

Now there are some that break this mold and throw a wrench in this theory... guys like Manning, Brees, and Kelly who are clearly not the greatest looking but overall many of the greats are at least above average looking dudes. Now you can look at collegiate careers and places these not so looking QBs player and maybe find a reason they “overachieved” in the confidence department. Like Manning... dude went to college at Tenn... he’s probably an above average looking dude in the state of Tenn. Thats where he got his confidence..

Now use this to analyze the top 3 QBs coming out and rank them. It actually is reverse order.

1. Herbert
2. Tua
3 Burrow

Burrow is 1 ugly dude so using this theory he’ll turn out worse of the 3. Herbert would turn out the best.

:)This sounds a lot like the red-headed QB theories being passed around when Andy Dalton was drafted. Some folks actually said he wouldn't be good because "there has never been a good red-headed QB in the NFL". Obviously they overlooked Sonny Jurgensen with that assessment. I think your post was wildly entertaining. The theory itself is bunk .

Due to the fact weve needed a QB for going on 20 years, I, just like most of you have probably researched the top QBs of each draft going back to the year 2000. What I always find fascinating are the personalities of the QB prospects comming out of college. How does someone's interviews and overall maturity reflect on camera and with the media and how do those attitudes translate to NFL success. From Johnny Manzel's arrogant antics to Andrew Lucks "ah shucks" humble attitude. Then there are guys in the middle who have a quite confidence like Russell Wilson, so how do these 2020 QBs personalites stack up? Let's discuss in this thread.

If you havnt seen the top 4 QBs get interviewed yet, you should go watch some of them because we have a very interesting group.

These are my observations, right or wrong, just my honest first take opinion on the personalities of these QBs. Feel free to make similar posts with your opinions bc like I said I find this topic fascinating.

Tua - Tua has a real maturity about him. He just comes off as a solid guy who you would want in your corner. Hes not arrogant but he just holds a confident aura around him. Hes likable and probably is comfortable in all social settings. He would be a natural leader in the NFL. I could see a future career in Media after his NFL days are over. In my opinion a 10 out of 10 on my weird personality scale for franchise QBs.

Herbert - Very relaxed and cool cat. Not going to get him riled up easily. Comes off as a hard worker who likes to be part of the system and not the face of the franchise. Seems very likable but not very assertive. Might not have the greatest leadership traits, can be kind of passive. Very nice person, kinda quite, not someone you will see out partying with the team on Mondays. Takes his job very very seriously. Leadership qualities 8 out of 10.

Jordan Love - Seems very solid, not too arrogant and has confidence in his abilities. Hes not the guy that's gonna tell you how talented he is, hell let his on field work prove the point. Seems very likable and with his flashy play style, players will love to play with him. Seems a bit surprised hes going to the NFL, comes off like a guy who's "just glad to be here" and might be shy a bit of the big stage. Kinda of a mommas boy. Harder to get a solid read on him as he hasnt had as much press as the other 3. Leadership Qualities 8.5 out of 10.

Joe Burrow -............ I have to say, no QB prospect has reminded me as much of Ryan Leaf as Joe Burrow. The guy comes off very arrogant, hes confident, but the arrogance is the overriding thing you take away from watching him speak. His team will follow him, as long as hes playing well. I could see his attitude rubbing teammates the wrong way during tough stretches of the season. Not the ideal personality for an NFL QB. Self arrogance on the very high level. Might have all the skills but hes more arrogant than Aaron Rodgers is and the kid hasnt taken a snap in the NFL. My weird personality score for Burrow. 5 out of 10 subpar.

What do you guys think of these guys? Did you have different views of them?

You are way off on Burrow...who is exactly what you want in a QB....if I was the GM...he’d be a Dolphin!

I could not disagree more!

Of the 4, IMO Burrow comes off as the most confident and Bradyesque.

I remember when Brady was just taking off, his teammates were saying: "it's never over because we have Tom Brady." I have observed Burrow's teammates, and fan base enamored with, inspired and spurred on by Burrow. He's the guy I believe you'd want to rally the troops among the 4

Back
Top Bottom