Analizing the personalities of the Top 4 QB prospects | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Analizing the personalities of the Top 4 QB prospects

Burrow doesn't remind me of Leaf at all. Leaf was very immature coming out of Washington State. He was also jerk. Burrow has confidence, but doesn't carry himself like Leaf did. I have long said that Leaf was a bust from the neck up only. Physically, he had all the tools you could want. I still believe a more mature Leaf would have had a good, if not great NFL career. Maturity is a big deal and the aforementioned QB's should all be fine that way.
Yeah, I don't get a Ryan Leaf feel at all. Definitely confident.

At least Leaf seems like he's turned his life around after football. I've heard him interviewed a few times and he's extremely interesting. Has mentioned that he wasn't ready, that he was immature, and not ready to lead a team.

Dude went through a lot.

Wasn’t Marino very smug like this coming out of college? He never had to struggle because he came into a great situation. Would have been interesting to see how his career would have gone had he been selected by the Buccaneers or someone.

I'll be 41 this year. No clue lol. I've always considered there being a difference between having a level of extreme confidence in yourself and come off as a smug kid

Even coming out of college? Took Tannehill awhile to come out of his shell in Miami. Only really appears to have gotten comfortable in Tennessee.

Are we talking Chad Henne level robot here?
Tannehill was so raw coming out, but his talent was exciting.

In retrospect, he probably should have sat a year. I don't think Philbin did him any favors trying to limit him to a pocket passer. The scouting report on him was tremendous accuracy on the move, but you didn't see a lot of plays designed that way.

Even coming out of college? Took Tannehill awhile to come out of his shell in Miami. Only really appears to have gotten comfortable in Tennessee.

Are we talking Chad Henne level robot here?
Methinks you only saw the very serious football side of Chad Henne that he nurtured. 3 amusing things that I can recall include the following that refute the complete robot image:
(a) There is a pic of Chad Henne with his wife on vacation and he and other guys were dressed in drag. Chad had ridiculously large boobs in the pic, black fishnet stockings, (he already had the big a$$), wig, etc and he got into the spirit of the night.
(b) There is actually a song "Chad Henne is a motherf'cking joke" by the Dead Schembechlers (you can google Chad Henne song) - it's pretty good. Anyway, the band were serious Ohio State fans and they made a song dedicated to our Chad. He is wearing his wolverine #7 jersey with his name replaced as "Kick Me". Legend has it that Mrs Henne enjoyed playing the song among friends and yes, Chad would join in the chorus. (Mrs Henne sounds like she has a great sense of humor).
(c) Chad's teammates at Michigan allegedly declared him unbeatable at beer pong.

*Watershed is an American rock band based in Columbus, Ohio, consisting of Colin Gawel (guitar, vocals), Joe Oestreich (bass, vocals), Rick Kinsinger (piano, guitar), Herb Schupp (drums). Their songs have appeared in several television shows, including Gene Simmons Family Jewels, Laguna Beach, and The Dudesons.[1]Several members of Watershed formed The Dead Schembechlers, a punk band based on the Ohio State-Michigan rivalry. Watershed has appeared on tour with several other bands, including the shock-rap group Insane Clown Posse.[2] Watershed is managed by Thomas O'Keefe, a longtime fan of the band.

Last edited:
Due to the fact weve needed a QB for going on 20 years, I, just like most of you have probably researched the top QBs of each draft going back to the year 2000. What I always find fascinating are the personalities of the QB prospects comming out of college. How does someone's interviews and overall maturity reflect on camera and with the media and how do those attitudes translate to NFL success. From Johnny Manzel's arrogant antics to Andrew Lucks "ah shucks" humble attitude. Then there are guys in the middle who have a quite confidence like Russell Wilson, so how do these 2020 QBs personalites stack up? Let's discuss in this thread.

If you havnt seen the top 4 QBs get interviewed yet, you should go watch some of them because we have a very interesting group.

These are my observations, right or wrong, just my honest first take opinion on the personalities of these QBs. Feel free to make similar posts with your opinions bc like I said I find this topic fascinating.

Tua - Tua has a real maturity about him. He just comes off as a solid guy who you would want in your corner. Hes not arrogant but he just holds a confident aura around him. Hes likable and probably is comfortable in all social settings. He would be a natural leader in the NFL. I could see a future career in Media after his NFL days are over. In my opinion a 10 out of 10 on my weird personality scale for franchise QBs.

Herbert - Very relaxed and cool cat. Not going to get him riled up easily. Comes off as a hard worker who likes to be part of the system and not the face of the franchise. Seems very likable but not very assertive. Might not have the greatest leadership traits, can be kind of passive. Very nice person, kinda quite, not someone you will see out partying with the team on Mondays. Takes his job very very seriously. Leadership qualities 8 out of 10.

Jordan Love - Seems very solid, not too arrogant and has confidence in his abilities. Hes not the guy that's gonna tell you how talented he is, hell let his on field work prove the point. Seems very likable and with his flashy play style, players will love to play with him. Seems a bit surprised hes going to the NFL, comes off like a guy who's "just glad to be here" and might be shy a bit of the big stage. Kinda of a mommas boy. Harder to get a solid read on him as he hasnt had as much press as the other 3. Leadership Qualities 8.5 out of 10.

Joe Burrow -............ I have to say, no QB prospect has reminded me as much of Ryan Leaf as Joe Burrow. The guy comes off very arrogant, hes confident, but the arrogance is the overriding thing you take away from watching him speak. His team will follow him, as long as hes playing well. I could see his attitude rubbing teammates the wrong way during tough stretches of the season. Not the ideal personality for an NFL QB. Self arrogance on the very high level. Might have all the skills but hes more arrogant than Aaron Rodgers is and the kid hasnt taken a snap in the NFL. My weird personality score for Burrow. 5 out of 10 subpar.

What do you guys think of these guys? Did you have different views of them?
I totally disagree with your assessment of Burrow. His teammates loved him at LSU and there was nothing about him that reminded me of Ryan Leaf. In fact I saw a lot of the Tom Brady type personality in him and I think he will be a great teammate at the NFL level. He is extremely intelligent on and off the field and after watching at least 7 LSU games this last season, I never saw the arrogant personality that you describe. What I saw was a QB who was confident in himself and the players on his team and a QB who made plays to win games.

To me he is the best QB in this draft and the only issue I see with him is he is going to be unlucky and end up going to the Bengals. One of the worst run organizations in the NFL. He is the only player in the draft I would trade all the first round picks the Dolphins have this year to move up and draft him.

Due to the fact weve needed a QB for going on 20 years, I, just like most of you have probably researched the top QBs of each draft going back to the year 2000. What I always find fascinating are the personalities of the QB prospects comming out of college. How does someone's interviews and overall maturity reflect on camera and with the media and how do those attitudes translate to NFL success. From Johnny Manzel's arrogant antics to Andrew Lucks "ah shucks" humble attitude. Then there are guys in the middle who have a quite confidence like Russell Wilson, so how do these 2020 QBs personalites stack up? Let's discuss in this thread.

If you havnt seen the top 4 QBs get interviewed yet, you should go watch some of them because we have a very interesting group.

These are my observations, right or wrong, just my honest first take opinion on the personalities of these QBs. Feel free to make similar posts with your opinions bc like I said I find this topic fascinating.

Tua - Tua has a real maturity about him. He just comes off as a solid guy who you would want in your corner. Hes not arrogant but he just holds a confident aura around him. Hes likable and probably is comfortable in all social settings. He would be a natural leader in the NFL. I could see a future career in Media after his NFL days are over. In my opinion a 10 out of 10 on my weird personality scale for franchise QBs.

Herbert - Very relaxed and cool cat. Not going to get him riled up easily. Comes off as a hard worker who likes to be part of the system and not the face of the franchise. Seems very likable but not very assertive. Might not have the greatest leadership traits, can be kind of passive. Very nice person, kinda quite, not someone you will see out partying with the team on Mondays. Takes his job very very seriously. Leadership qualities 8 out of 10.

Jordan Love - Seems very solid, not too arrogant and has confidence in his abilities. Hes not the guy that's gonna tell you how talented he is, hell let his on field work prove the point. Seems very likable and with his flashy play style, players will love to play with him. Seems a bit surprised hes going to the NFL, comes off like a guy who's "just glad to be here" and might be shy a bit of the big stage. Kinda of a mommas boy. Harder to get a solid read on him as he hasnt had as much press as the other 3. Leadership Qualities 8.5 out of 10.

Joe Burrow -............ I have to say, no QB prospect has reminded me as much of Ryan Leaf as Joe Burrow. The guy comes off very arrogant, hes confident, but the arrogance is the overriding thing you take away from watching him speak. His team will follow him, as long as hes playing well. I could see his attitude rubbing teammates the wrong way during tough stretches of the season. Not the ideal personality for an NFL QB. Self arrogance on the very high level. Might have all the skills but hes more arrogant than Aaron Rodgers is and the kid hasnt taken a snap in the NFL. My weird personality score for Burrow. 5 out of 10 subpar.

What do you guys think of these guys? Did you have different views of them?

I think your badly mis-reading Burrow....confidence and ****iness are attributes in a QB... See Dan Marino.

Wasn’t Marino very smug like this coming out of college? He never had to struggle because he came into a great situation. Would have been interesting to see how his career would have gone had he been selected by the Buccaneers or someone.
Marino much like Brady had no problem getting in the faces of the players on offense and yelling at them when they screwed up a play. To some observers this is seen as showing up the other player but when someone with the pedigree of Marino and a Brady do it is just called part of the game. Marino, Brady, Rodgers, and many other top tier QB’s throughout the history of the game have been smug and arrogant. Yet if they put up the stats and won games, no one cared if they were smug and arrogant.

QB’s careers are always judged in the end on wins and losses and whether they were arrogant or smug really only matters to those who are looking for a reason to not like a particular QB or player.

Unless Joe Burrow gets caught climbing through a bathroom window trying to get pills, it’s a stretch on the Ryan Leaf comparison.

But you are on to something.

how come you don't mention Jalen Hurts?
I think Hurts was a very good college QB with great character. I just don’t see him having success as an NFL QB. He isn’t very accurate and he is not effective at looking over the field for secondary receivers which leads him to take off running far too often. I think he could be a better RB or possibly WR in the NFL than a QB.

Not sure where this Burrow arrogance stuff is coming from. I think the Ryan Leaf comparison is an absolute stretch and terrbile comparison, not even close. There is a difference between being arrogant and being confident. Did you see how humble and how sincere Burrow was during his Heisman speech? His leadership and intangibles are what makes him special. All the great QB's, Brady, Marino, Montana, etc. were all very confident QB's.

there is a major smugness about Burrow that you could just see a lot of people wanting to punch him in the face. The major issue with those types of personalities are, when things start going bad...because you play for the Bengals...and they will. Are you still going to be able to lead thru adversity on the field. The only thing is, even before getting drafted i think Leaf made a comment about not giving a **** just wanting that contract, its kind of a good thing they added in the rookie scale

JC.JPG

This guy. He had the most punchable face and apparently someone else agreed and gave him a nice shiner.

I think Hurts was a very good college QB with great character. I just don’t see him having success as an NFL QB. He isn’t very accurate and he is not effective at looking over the field for secondary receivers which leads him to take off running far too often. I think he could be a better RB or possibly WR in the NFL than a QB.

If we touch Jalen Hurts at all in this draft I may cry :lol:. I think he's a solid character guy too but I don't see NFL success at all (at least not as a QB).

Back
Top Bottom