Analysis of the Dolphins #1 Pick | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Analysis of the Dolphins #1 Pick

I don't see the attraction to Jake Long....Vernon Gholston abused Jake Lomg throughout the OSU - UM game this year, made him look slow and even got bull rushed a couple of times. Interestingly enough, in the National Title game, LSU's left tackle, Ciron Black, completely held Gholston in check throughout the game.

I think it will be Dorsey or Long. They are the 2 best players available. I prefer Dorsey, I think he is a very rare talent at our position of greatest need. If we sign a FA DT I could see the regime taking C Long. If we don't sign one I don't see them leaving our biggest hole to a later pick.

Addressing the Dolphins #1 pick in the 2008 Draft, both fitting the current personnel and the pick's role:

A.) Chris Long- UVA: Long seems like a great pick (comes from a great pedigree, hard worker, relentless motor, team leader, etc.) but when you grade on the roles of a presumed 3-4 defense, he ranks somewhat lower. 3-4 DE do no have as great of a role as 4-3 DE and seem to be more concerned with filling their gaps and taking blocker off of the linebackers than penetrating the line and causing havoc on the QB. It is still a very important position, and he is a great 3-4 DE prospect (adding maybe 10 lb.), but not worth pick #1.

B.) Glenn Dorsey- LSU: I really, really like everything about Dorsey. He is a disruptive force, relentless, and the definition of a team player. He will put his body through anything to better his teammates. If the Dolphins choose to play in a 4-3 I would pick Dorsey #1 with no problem. But assuming they go the 3-4 route, he is not worth the #1 pick. I actually think he would be a much better 3-4 NT than most people but not so much so that he is worth the pick.

C.) Matt Ryan- BC: Ryan is definitely the #1 QB coming out in 2008 and would have been the #1 pick for the Dolphins last year, but I have not seen enough of last year's #2 Beck to fully judge the position. I know everyone says you take a franchise QB no matter what if you don't have one but I'm not convinced Beck isn't. Ryan will probably be a good QB, but I believe Beck will too. Therefore, I have to pass.

D.) Darren McFadden- Ark: McFadden is a special talent. He's big, he's fast, and he's multi-dimensional. If we're picking #2 in 2005, he would be a Dolphin over Brown. And seeing the impact Peterson had last year (given that I don't think DM is as good as a true RB as AP, but a better all-around threat) one would have to take a very long look at him with pick #1. But given that we have Brown and the rest of the stable, and the fact that it would be too much guarunteed money for a one-play-disaster-waiting-to-happen, I would pass with caution.

Given all the circumstances, the personnel and their roles, my #1 pick would be:

Jake Long- Mich: The prototypical LT prospect. He has great size (6'7 315), great speed (reportedly keeps up with the skill positions in conditioning), great production (a top 10 pick last year), great strength (supposed to contend with the bench press record this combine), and plays a position that would be worth the #1 pick. I like Vernon Carey a lot, but he seems a better RT than true LT. Long would give you an instant starter at LT, doesn't have many injury concerns, and would be worth the long-term money invested in the #1 pick. I know there are other very good LT prospects in '08, but Long is definitely a franchise LT. He could protect Beck's or whoever's blindsize for many, many years.

Now given all that, I do have a sleeper pick:
Vernon Gholston- OSU: Hear me out. He would be an ideal OLB candidate for Bill Parcells. He's big (6'4 265), he's extremely fast, and he's productive. But more important, I feel he would have a greater impact than Chris Long's 3-4 DE position, Glenn Dorsey at 3-4 NT, and I don't know if Ryan is that much better than Beck. He would be up there with McFadden in impact rating. I can really see Parcells falling in love with him and his abilities

I'm sorry, but I've seen enough of Beck to not like him.

This has to be the most informative and detailed I could find on both the positive and negative aspects of Jake Long's game. Positives are in bold and negatives are in italics:

"He may be the number one player in this draft class, but what do the scouts see when they look at Jake Long?

Name: Jake Long
School: Michigan
Jersey #: 77
Height: 6'7
Weight: 310
40 time: 5.1
Best Fit Position/Role: Left Tackle
Ideal Scheme/Role: Power run

Teams Interested: St. Louis Rams, Miami Dolphins, Pittsburgh Steelers, San Francisco 49ers, Houston Texans, Dallas Cowboys
General Traits
Athletic Ability: Is a good overall athlete with above average ability. Can play heavy-footed at times. Slow feet. Poor lateral quickness, but is a fast runner in a straight line.
Character/Leadership Ability: Is a very vocal leader and team captain. Takes his role and responsibilities very seriously. Is a favorite in the locker room.
Competitive Nature/Work Ethic: A hard worker in the weight room and class room. Long is a competitive player that is more like a fighter in that he hates to lose. Will work harder than most players with his natural talent.
Football Intelligence: A smart player that has seen every defense, twist, stunt and blitz in his 4 years as a starter. Not much will surprise him. Dedicated to the film room and absorbs information.
Size: Is a mammoth player. His size is intimidating and imposing to defenders. Is thick all the way through with good muscle tone and bubble. A very strong lower body. Long arms and huge hands.
Toughness/Durability: Is a very tough player that enjoys contact and plays with a mean streak. At times he seems to search out defenders to hit. Is a durable player that has only missed time due to a serious injury in 2005, which he came back from strong.

Position Specific Traits
Movement/Space: Does not move well laterally. Has average lateral quicks. Does not recover well to the inside, but moves well to the outside and can adjust to pick up the blitz and outside rush. Moves well to the 2nd level and looks for people to hit at every tier.
Pass Blocking: Can get heavy feet and hands. Plays slow at times. Can be beaten with a good inside counter move. Has a strong punch and replaces his feet well. Might be better suited for the right side in pass protection. Can play top heavy with too much lean. Needs to play lighter on his feet and with more left-right balance.
Quickness: Average lateral quickness with good straight-line speed. Has no short quicks. Is a long strider. An aggressive blocker that gets to the second level well, but not quickly. Adjusts best to the outside, where he can run off a blitzer or pass rusher.
Run Blocking: A dominating run blocker that shows great drive blocking skills. Has good bend in his arms and legs, forming a "V" in his arms when locking up and driving with his legs and keeping his feet churning. Powers from his quads through his body and will look to pancake if necessary. Gets to the 2nd level well and will lead block in space. Is agile enough to get out in space and find second and third blocks.
Strength: Is exceptionally strong and uses this well on the field. A naturally strong person that has added to this in the weight room. Has great football strength and does not waste his size or power.
Technique: Footwork can be lazy, but is technically sound. Replaces his feet well and has a solid kick back and hinge step. Can get over his feet at times and will lunge at a player, most famously Ohio State DE Vernon Gholston. Can be ran outside and then in with success. Needs to stay more balanced and keep a better feel for his defender. Keeps his head up when run blocking and drives well through his block. Great lower body technique, fundamentally strong.
General Comments: Long is generally considered a top 5 senior for the 2008 NFL Draft and a cornerstone left tackle. Much like Levi Brown in the '07 class, Long could be moved to the right side with ease for a number of reasons. He is a dominating run blocker that will immediately add to any team's running game. Could have an immediate impact for the franchise that selects him.

Injury Concerns: Lower left leg injury in 2005. Required surgery.

Could be as good as: Jonathan Ogden
Worst Case: Marcus McNeill

Where he'll probably go: Top 3
Were he should go: Top 3

Completed By: Matt Miller
Last Updated: 12/11/2007"

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/storyonly/2007/12/12/211124/62

Nice one CJ. I see Jake as a rich mans Levi Brown-a guy who many thought would only be a RT, that would drop out of the top 10, who would be surpassed by Toledo (Clady this year) etc. Granted his rookie year wasnt spectacular, but I think Long has more natural talent.

I dont think hes as good a pass blocker as Joe Thomas was, I think he is a better run blocker. I think he is solid against the pass. Gholston was his ONLY bad game mind. I like how people try to define him by his performance against 1 player in 1 game. It happens...
I dont know if I like him at #1 overall, but if we drop below the #3 spot he will have to be considered.
Long, Satele, Carey, Hadnot if resigned and maybe Mormino? Young, talented, good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom