analyzing our o-line. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

analyzing our o-line.

dolfancoolio

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
ok lets take a look at last years piece of rubble that was supposedly was our o-line but instead resembled something with the force the likes of an 90 year old man trying to open his bedroom door. we had wade smith at left tackle. he was good for a rookie. but being good for a rookie still means that in reality he wasn't all that great. at left guard we had jamie nails. nails always had ability but struggled a LOT last season because of his ankle injury. At center we had tim ruddy. the fact that no team has picked him up yet proves his dissapointing form last season. so that summates to a fairly weak left side. at right guard we possibly had the worst starter at guard in the league in ed perry. this guy SUCKS. and then we had todd wade at right guard. he was meant to be our saviour at right tackle when we drafted him. he was pretty good however i still think he played a little under what he couldve played yet he made perry look better than what he was. when carey gets some experience in the big league he will be a major upgrade to todd wade and will be a pro bowler. anyways back to last years o-line, that makes for a below average right side. it was a credit to ricky williams that he got however many yards he got. this o-line had no solid rushing lane and had major weaknesses on the interior. Fiedler gets criticised a lot on this board and i must admit im not his greatest fan either. but i think had he had a little more time in the pocket last season he might've thrown about 3 or 4 more TD's and thrown 1 or 2 less int's. He didnt do the best of jobs last year but it is easy to sympthasise with him when he has that line to work with. The line last year gets a weak D from me.

Ok now this year. we have mcmike, chambers, boston and ricky. everyone goes on about how good we will be with these weapons but the fact of the matter is if you have a weak o-line your never gonna be able to get it to these players or in rickys case allow him any room to run. look at kansas city. on offense they are quite similar to us. they have an outstanding running back, a great tight end, some solid receivers and quite frankly an average qb in trent green. now some people might disagree with me but green really isn't that great. then how did he lead his team to 13-3 you ask? i'll tell you how, he had the best damn offensive line in the comp to give him time. The same goes for the success of marc bulger. we have probably equal if not more offensive weapons than kansas city (except for our qb situation- both feeley and fiedler are a bit weaker than green) but we are lacking the offensive line. imagine if we had the o-line the chiefs had where we would have gone last year. we would have had one the best offenses in the league much the same as kansas city did have last year. now you should be able to realise the significance of a good o-line. back to this years o-line and we have an improved smith at left tackle. He will be good this year and i wouldn't be suprised if he made the pro bowl in four or five years or so. Jeno James at left guard is a big upgrade to an injured nails last season. We now have a solid left side. ricky, welcome to jamal lewis territory. at center we have seth mcinney. everyone keeps saying that if he were that good then he wouldve beat out ruddy last season and unfortunately i agree with this. i'm fearing games against new england, denver, san francisco, pittsburgh and buffalo when he comes up against powerful defensive tackles such as traylor, luther ellis, bryant young, casey hampton and pat williams. the center plays a role when running the ball to either side and his pass protection is essential to keeping the defensive tackles from getting to the qb and causing a fumble or injury as the case may be. mcinneys progress will be a major part in the success of our o-line and subsequently our offense. i havent seen much of him so we can only hope and wait. now at right guard we have greg jerman. spielman heres your time to shine!! we need to sign a quality veteran guard whether it be by free agency, by trade or even in exchange for the o-gun who (if we re-sign him) may disallow cap space for the re-signing of chambers and mcmike in the future. If greg jerman stays there i imagine he will be very weak. Pretty much no change here since last season with the crappy ed perry. right tackle will be vernon carey. while he is only a rookie there are big things expected from him. if he can have a wade smith-like or perhaps even better rookie season then we will probably still have a weak right side like last year. we need to sign a quality guard. a good guard will give ricky otions to the left and right side and will give feeley (he will start- trust me) more time to survey the field and get the ball to one of our receiving weapons. with a good right guard we will have an o-line greatly upgraded since last season and we should go 12-4 or 13-3 with our defense with a AFC championship game appearance not out of reach. However, we keep jerman there and feeley will probably get about as much time as fiedler did last year which will be a significant drop-off to the time he got behind phillys outstanding o-line. we will most likely experience a 9-7 or 10-6 season if our o-line is not changed come september. i wouldnt mind putting damien macintosh at right guard when he recovers simply due to his size and experience that he holds over jerman who i have yet to see play but can only expect very little from. however it is essential that we sign a quality veteran guard to fill the void at right guard who can instantly improve our offense and perhaps bring jerman slowly into the game. we also need mcinney to step up and show us he's ligitimate. a lot is resting on this o-line and i see big things for their future, however unless we sign a guard with the talent equivalent to someone like brian waters i can only see us going 10-6 on the back of our defense (which is getting older and cant keep waiting around for our offense to sort itself out) this season and we may scrape into the playoffs this time around but will likely not go any further than the first week. I give this years o-line a solid C and i think in 2 or 3 years time it will be a B+ pushing an A-. And then, and only then will we have a crack at the superbowl. As the great John Madden says "The first and most essential component to an effective offense is the line". i really had to get that off my chest. sorry to write so much but until we attain a quality offensive line i am going to have to sit there come football season and settle for mediocrity from my team for yet another season.

That`s one helluva post there dolfancoolio....I feel honored that I`m the first to reply to your thread (or maybe I`m the first that`s actually read the the entire post in its entirety). I do agree however, that a few upgrades here and there will improve this team greatly. Hopefully things go accordingingly.

I don't see us doing anything else, unless someone very, very, solid is released. I could be wrong, but I think Dave, Rick and Tony like what we have for a OL right now. I'm very curious about Jerman as Rick keeps going on and on about him as RG, and some where I read he was in great shape. I agree, everything starts with the OL and hopefully we will be okay here after they get a chance to gel.

Steve

DolFinatic718 said:
long azz post

Thank you for pointing that out. And great post BTW. :shakeno:

I agree coolio. You can only go as far as your line takes you. We could have a very good line in a few years. The talent could well be there. But right now, there's a ton of youth and inexperience. Lots of unknowns. Heck, 4 out of 5 positions are just that. James is the only guy we can really count on right now. I'm excited yet anxious and cautious at the same time.

Very good post. But while Jerman, Yates and Whitley are getting practice at guard, don't forget about St. Clair or McIntosh. Before you say St. Clair sucks, remember he has played all positions on the line and would be a decent backup.

It was injuries that have crushed our line the last few years(dixon, Nails)

Paragraphs, my man, paragraphs.

Anyways, I'm very confident in the left side of our line with Smith and James, as I imagine most Dolfans are. I have a question, though.

Right now is Carey expected to be the starter, or is he going to back up St. Clair and/or Jerman on the right side. I thought when he was drafted he was expected to start, but now I'm hearing differently. Anyone know?

Muck said:
Thank you for pointing that out. And great post BTW. :shakeno:

I agree coolio. You can only go as far as your line takes you. We could have a very good line in a few years. The talent could well be there. But right now, there's a ton of youth and inexperience. Lots of unknowns. Heck, 4 out of 5 positions are just that. James is the only guy we can really count on right now. I'm excited yet anxious and cautious at the same time.

good thing the world isn''t going to end after this year. What a wasts of a solid o-line that would be.;)

Zacher87 said:
Paragraphs, my man, paragraphs.

Anyways, I'm very confident in the left side of our line with Smith and James, as I imagine most Dolfans are. I have a question, though.

Right now is Carey expected to be the starter, or is he going to back up St. Clair and/or Jerman on the right side. I thought when he was drafted he was expected to start, but now I'm hearing differently. Anyone know?
The "enter" key is right next to the "quotation" key, lol.

Carey will be the starter. I dont think St. Claire/Jerman has the ability to start over Carey. Either way depth is good.

Offensive line was a major weakness and considering how great the turn over was it does leave a lot to speculate. Smith IMO is another ???, will he improve enough to be sufficient. James, solid. Mckinney, better then Ruddy (hope so).RG anybody will be better then Perry (I hope).Carey will be good (but when). Alot of if's in this equation and then even if they are a major upgrade, they are still going to need time to gell.
One possible bonus will be hopefully a more dangerous QB, and two ligitimate scarry threats at WR in Chambers and Boston, which should most importantly keep opponents Defenses honest so that are OL isn't forced to hold back a stacked def. with 8 & 9 guys rushing our QB.
Having two quality WR's as major threats will be of upmost importance in helping our offensive line achieve success this year. Thats why I feel the importance of picking up another stud to play #3. It would give us the essential backup if Chris or David at some point where to go down. Because without this threat our opponents will just end up stacking the line and even with this new line, feel it will it would get ugly........again.

phinfan77 said:
Before you say St. Clair sucks, remember he has played all positions on the line and would be a decent backup.

I'm watching the Rams-Eagles game now (the one with Feeley). It's mid-1st quarter. And John St. Clair has just moved to LT (Pace is hurt). We'll see how he does.

I think the guy could be very good if he had the opportunity to stay at one position. He's a victim of his own versatility.

St and Carey as I understand will compete at RT. I thnk Carey will win and St. C will slide to RG. He is supposed to be good inside. If Jerman has actually developed and can play RG at a respectable solid level, I think it will serve 2 puposes. 1. We would have a solid RG, and 2. it will put soomeone that knows the system well next to carey. That way, Jeno and Carey are the only starters new to the system, with Jeno sandwiched by two system vets and Caery next to one. Might help with the chemistry development. Now that theory is based on Jerman being soolid which at this point would be a huge upgrade over last year.

Much effort dolfancoolio. Just have to put in a paragraph or two for the reader to make it better IMo.

I find it hard to believe that our O-line will be even close to the same level of play though. I thought the young guys(jarman,Mckinney) outplayed the vets last year when they got in the game. I thought they didn't get the starting jobs because Wanny is loyal to experience first and foremost.

I agree that Mckinny will struggle against the better D tackles in the league. But that is why they are the best D tackles. Because most centers struggle against them.

My way of thinking is this.

Our oline can't possibly be as bad as it was and we still won 10 games last year. This oline will give us another win or two that last years oline couldn't deliver...

12-4

--Ross

Muck said:
I'm watching the Rams-Eagles game now (the one with Feeley). It's mid-1st quarter. And John St. Clair has just moved to LT (Pace is hurt). We'll see how he does.

I think the guy could be very good if he had the opportunity to stay at one position. He's a victim of his own versatility.

Well how well does he do? Give us the low-down...

--Ross

Back
Top Bottom