Another Mutha Forkin’ Tua post. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Another Mutha Forkin’ Tua post.

I believe its Austin. I agree we need to have more consistency up front. I was not a fan of Erick Flowers, he did a very poor job for a veteran picking up stunts. We need to give Tua time back in the pocket so that these new weapons can get open.
Especially watching Allen have so much time to throw with Buffalo's line.

I hate the Noodle arm criticism the most. Josh Allen has had to consciously throw slower in the last season. His rookie year he was throwing way too fast and had multiple passes dropped because his receivers can't get their hands on it.

Who cares if the ball speed is slower if it is placed correctly?

I'm so damn tired of seeing our QBs under immediate duress as soon as they hike the ball.
Until they prove me wrong, I have no faith in this Front Office being able to assemble a physically dominating o-line that is competent at both run-blocking AND pass-blocking. We've seen GMs and Coaching Staffs change, but the o-line continues to suck overall. IMO, the last physically dominant OL drafted by Miami was Jake Long. (It's too bad his career was cut short by injuries.) After Long, the next best was Incognito. Although he wasn't drafted by Miami, he was more physical than any other player drafted or signed by Miami since then... including 1st round picks Pouncey, James, and Tunsil. Many here will say that Pouncey and Tunsil were very good and James was decent, but I disagree.

That said, whether we agree or disagree on how good those guys were doesn't really matter. My point is that even after using multiple 1st round picks on the line, Miami, in recent history, still can't put together a good o-line. In hindsight I see why Miami has sucked for a long time, but I'll just concentrate on o-line problems during the past 15 or so years. I was never a fan of Parcells; under him the team had a decent defense and occasionally good running game, but he didn't put enough emphasis on the QB position and the passing game. Sparano's teams lost because although they could move the ball between the 20s, they didn't have enough talent at the offensive skill positions to score in the Red Zone. The o-line was decent (although they suffered through several turnstiles at RT) against the tough, physical d-lines of the Jets and the Bills, and when Miami lost to them it was usually due to that lack of talent at the skill positions and having to settle for FGs instead of TDs.

Enter Joe Philbin, and his short pass based offensive philosophy. As Joe started replacing Sparano's players with his own players, the o-line's performance took a nose-dive. Even with several 1st round picks anchoring the line, Tannehill was sacked more than any other QB during his first four seasons. Philbin preferred the short pass over the run, and this was reflected in the line's (in)ability to run-block. Scatback-type RBs occasionally got big gains by using their speed outside, but big plays up the middle were infrequent due to the line not being able to open holes. Gase, like Philbin, preferred using RBs as receivers out of the backfield rather than having a strong, physical running game. When it came to being able to convert 3rd or 4th and short on the ground, Philbin's o-line was below average, and Gase's line was even worse! Plus, while Miami's o-line under Sparano fared okay against the tough, physical d-lines of the Jets and Bills, the o-lines under Philbin and Gase were pushed around and physically dominated (even with Pouncey, James, and Tunsil), leading to harassed QBs and more losses.

IMO, the move away from the old-school type linemen is the reason why Miami can no longer protect their QB or dominate an opponent with the running game. Now, under Flores, the rookie linemen who were hyped as "maulers" have been anything but! Both Fitz and Tua were under constant pressure; Fitz had more success due to his experience, but Tua had to check down a lot. So, until the QB has better protection and the team can run the ball down an opponent's throat even when the defense knows they're going to run, my vote would be to replace EVERYONE in the Front Office involved with scouting, evaluating, and selecting o-linemen. It seems to me that the same people who thought Jonathan Martin and Dallas Thomas were legitimate starting material o-linemen are still with the team.

Well it doesn't hurt Herbert. But no Tua is fine being just himself.
I hadn't heard any Herbert/Brad Pitt nonsense.

Gross.

Of course, Brad Pitt is like 5'10" 160 and Herbert is like 6'6" 240, so maybe in some alternate universe they might physically resemble one another.

Agreed! The entire rookie Corp from last season should have a better year considering the craziness of last season.

If we can’t get good play from the OL then all those other offensive additions aren’t going to matter.
The OL has enough talent and depth to be good. If we are not, I will worry about OL coach talent and OC talent to design plays to our strengths.

Back
Top Bottom