Another OC Fired | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Another OC Fired

What a quick fall from grace. He had been talked up as HC candidate. I guess playing the games matters.

Seemed to be too much too fast for him, it's surprising that the first time he ever called plays at any level was as an OC in the NFL.

He still has a bright future, but he may want to spend some time re-evaluating his approach on a few things.

According to the announcers at last week's game he grew up a dolphins fan. Don't think he was given a fair shake there at Carolina, I am not necessarily advocating for him but folks mention not being committed to the run with McCaffery on the roster, that's the same guy that's available as much as Will Fuller or DVP. Also in year one, they drafted zero offensive players, year two they used their high first on D again and didn't draft O until late in the 2nd round.

If he really was behind the Teddy B and Darnold decisions then he does have a lot to answer for because Darnold especially was an expensive move that looked too rich for a questionable QB, although he did start off pretty well as a Panther it wasn't long before he got back to the player he had shown he was at the Jets.

He's a young guy and will bounce back, maybe college is his thing.

I wouldn't mind seeing him as the OC of the Dolphins next season. He didn't have a good QB to work with in Carolina.
What? No. Hell no. This guy is a not nearly ready to lead NFL Offenses. He is residual of having Joe Burrow throw to Ja'Marr Chase, Justin Jefferson, and Terrace Marshall vs college defenses.

Maybe as a WR coach. But no way should he be OC.

He went straight from Passing game coordinator (for ONE SEASON) in college to OC in the NFL. Talk about not ready. And it showed.

Seemed to be too much too fast for him, it's surprising that the first time he ever called plays at any level was as an OC in the NFL.

He still has a bright future, but he may want to spend some time re-evaluating his approach on a few things.
Yep...

And how do you know that for sure? There will be a lot of new players on this team come next season. I'm sure the o-line and wide receivers will get a makeover this coming offseason.
The OL and the WR unit, except for Parker have had a complete makeover in the three years Flores has been the head coach. Other than Waddle at WR and possibly Hunt at OG, there really hasn’t been any improvement in either of those units over that three year period.

Hopefully Grier and Flores will do a much better job improving those units in the off season in the draft and in free agency but just because they will likely add players to these units doesn’t mean those units will be better next year. As the past three years has clearly showed. Spending a lot of money in free agency and using draft picks to upgrade positions doesn’t matter unless you bring in solid players who are actually upgrades over the players already on the roster.

The OL and the WR unit, except for Parker have had a complete makeover in the three years Flores has been the head coach. Other than Waddle at WR and possibly Hunt at OG, there really hasn’t been any improvement in either of those units over that three year period.

Hopefully Grier and Flores will do a much better job improving those units in the off season in the draft and in free agency but just because they will likely add players to these units doesn’t mean those units will be better next year. As the past three years has clearly showed. Spending a lot of money in free agency and using draft picks to upgrade positions doesn’t matter unless you bring in solid players who are actually upgrades over the players already on the roster.
Hopefully now that the team is not so depleted and they don't have such a huge quantity of holes to fill, they can target better and draft like they did last year.
That's the key- 2020's draft certainly has its ?s, but last year's, wow. They need to repeat that magic. OL, RB, WR, maybe some pass rush. LB. Though Elandon Roberts was everywhere vs Giants.

I don't know if they will bring in upgrades or not but I know they will have a bunch of new players on the roster. That was my whole point. It won't be the same roster. The person I was responding to responded back to me and thought I meant bring Joe Brady in now. I was talking about bringing him in this offseason.

Last edited:
Ti be fair, it's a lot different being an OC with Drew Brees as your quarterback compared to Winston, Hill etc.

In the win streak, are the OCs making the OL look better, or is the OL making the OCs look better, or is Tua just carrying all of 'em?

Giants D is tough but Miami still has Way too many carries of 2 yards or less and time to look deep is still hard to come by.
With literally 2 upgrades, this is a 30+ points-per-game offense. 2 solid OL guys, one of those being elite. OR One very good tackle and a special talent at RB. Give us that and Tua goes apeshit.

I said after 3-7 that I felt our OCs could learn on the job in 2021 and be better in 2022 than anyone outside the organization and that reality is looking likely.

Apparently he was fired because he would not commit to the run game.... on a team that had McCaffrey..... no thank you

I think he would be a great fit at UM though with Cristobal
Actually McCaffrey was utilized heavily in the running game the first two games this season. He was injured in the third game and then missed several games because of injury. Even in the Miami game he was injured again and barely played in that game.

It’s hard to commit to the run game when your #1 RB is constantly dealing with injuries. If not untilizing the running game more when your best RB is injured or nor 100% is the reason he was fired, that is a BS reason, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom