Another Positive Aspect of Ray | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Another Positive Aspect of Ray

Dajesus

Active Roster
Reaction score
We have very fast and elusive WRs, TE, and RBs, but Jay would not always give them a chance to rack up the YAC. If your a Jay fan or not you have to admit he had a tendacy to put to much air under his passes allowing the defender to get the drop on the reciever right after the catch. Be it a screen pass or deep out we know Ray will put alot of zip on his passes(sometimes to much) witch will give these guys a chance to run after the catch. Randy, Chris, and James should start to make alot of moves in the open feild witch is something I have been waiting to see more of.

No, that's what the Dolphins want...

... contrary to popular belief it's better to throw a deep ball with arc, it gives the WR more of an opportunity to get the ball; especially when you are throwing to a Gadsden and Chambers. Also Lucas has the no touch label on him, this includes his deep ball. It takes touch to throw the deep ball just like it does with the short stuff. The only thing Lucas has over Fiedler is the medium range passes. His absolute gun makes that an easier pass for him than Fiedler.

After saying all that I'm confident Norv will get Lucas ready for this start.

Oliver...

Originally posted by Dajesus
We have very fast and elusive WRs, TE, and RBs, but Jay would not always give them a chance to rack up the YAC. If your a Jay fan or not you have to admit he had a tendacy to put to much air under his passes allowing the defender to get the drop on the reciever right after the catch. Be it a screen pass or deep out we know Ray will put alot of zip on his passes(sometimes to much) witch will give these guys a chance to run after the catch. Randy, Chris, and James should start to make alot of moves in the open feild witch is something I have been waiting to see more of.

Oliver is right. Its a lot easier to adjust to a ball with some air under it than a ball coming right at you. However, on crossing patterns, mid range stuff, its nice to have some zip on it so you can catch it on the run, and get some serious YAC. I'm really anxious for this game......

I think their is a happy medium in there. Jay puts to much touch, and Ray may put to much zip, but he did throw a very nice deep touch pass to Baker in the first preseason game. Obviously we haven't seen Ray in a reg season game in 3 years, so this is all heresay, but I don't think the reason Jay is the starter is because he is a better passer. I have seen alot of football at every level and I know Ray is a better pure passer in every aspect. The main reason I think Jay is still our starter is because he has won plain and simple. You don't make a switch at QB when your team is 27-11 with the QB at the helm. You don't start a QB contaversy while your team is winning it destroys moral. Mac Brown found that our last season at Texas. That being the main reason, but Jay's enormus heart, command of the huddle, and rapid improvement can't be overlooked. In all fairness Ray hasn't had a chance to prove those parts of his game. I can't wait till Sunday I think this offense will be even more lethal with #6 in charge. I am very excited that Ray is going to get a chance, bummed Jay is injured, but excited just the same.

Originally posted by BMarion31
Oliver is right. Its a lot easier to adjust to a ball with some air under it than a ball coming right at you. However, on crossing patterns, mid range stuff, its nice to have some zip on it so you can catch it on the run, and get some serious YAC. I'm really anxious for this game......

When a WR beets his man deep you have to be able to get the ball in there with out him having to come to a complete stop. That has been Jay's achillies heal.

True, but if its going to fast, it makes it a lot harder to correctly judge where you have to adjust to. You're right, there is definately a medium there, too bad very few QB's know where to find it......

Originally posted by BMarion31
True, but if its going to fast, it makes it a lot harder to correctly judge where you have to adjust to. You're right, there is definately a medium there, too bad very few QB's know where to find it......

That is why it is the hardest pass to complete in the game. I just think with our speed at WR and TE Ray gives us a better chance to utilize the deep ball. It might be all for not if CC doens't play this week since he gives us the best shot at throwing it deep, but if he doesn't i look for James to have a break out game.

i wish fiedler could play

but since he can't, i'd like to see ray for one reason. if something happens to jay in december, i'd like to know what kind of backup we have!;)

Sorry I've never seen...

... that play you just described. I've seen WR's having to adjust, but come to a complete stop? No I can't say I've seen that kind of play from Jay and our WR's.

Oliver...

When a WR beets his man deep you have to be able to get the ball in there with out him having to come to a complete stop. That has been Jay's achillies heal.

Re: Sorry I've never seen...

Originally posted by Oliver
... that play you just described. I've seen WR's having to adjust, but come to a complete stop? No I can't say I've seen that kind of play from Jay and our WR's.

Oliver...

like i said, i'd like to know what we have in the hole come december!;)

Oliver...

That actually happened in practice a couple days back. The WR was lucky I didn't nail him, I could have hit him as hard as Kennedy hit Chambers, just without the helmet BS. Unlike Kennedy, I let up and just knocked the pass down. I'm pretty sure QBs are told its better to overthrow than to underthrow those passes, for the simple fact that it leaves the WR vulnerable, and it is easy to pick the pass off......

We have very fast and elusive WRs, TE, and RBs, but Jay would not always give them a chance to rack up the YAC. If your a Jay fan or not you have to admit he had a tendacy to put to much air under his passes allowing the defender to get the drop on the reciever right after the catch.

You are absolutely right with that assessment Dajesus.
That's why I get scared every time I see Jay drop back to throw. His balls whether medium or long sometimes even short throws excessivey float and take a lot longer to get there than they should. It does give the DB's a much better shot at getting to the ball or the receiver. I know I'll get yelled at for saying this but if you did a split screen with a number of other QB's passes you would see it is the blatant truth. Regardless, he has the heart and intangibles to overcome those shortcomings most of the time.

Now having said that, I hope that both Ray palys incredible and that Jay gets well soon to continue the season and take us to the promised land.

Oliver...

Have you ever seen a Miami WR back track for a ball or come back to a ball? That would be the same as comming to a complete stop. I am not trying to bash Jay by any means, but it is a fact he puts to much air under his passes from deep to screen.

Re: Re: Sorry I've never seen...

Have you ever seen a Miami WR back track for a ball or come back to a ball? That would be the same as comming to a complete stop. I am not trying to bash Jay by any means, but it is a fact he puts to much air under his passes from deep to screen.
but he's the winningest QB in the league the last 3 years!;)

Back
Top Bottom