Antonio Callaway has now been signed to our 53 man roster. Time to shine! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Antonio Callaway has now been signed to our 53 man roster. Time to shine!

He doesn't have to catch actual passes, he just has to drag the safety deep. The field opens up without that safety. Gesicki and Parker can both run to those opened areas.

If he catches one... great! If he drops it, he still has to be covered the next time he beats you.
So basically he will do the same assignment that Grant is doing right now?

Well... I'm not sure that Grant is actually doing that job though. The passes he does catch are all short routes.
Maybe Callaway will be better at this.
That's not Grant's fault though.

I don't think he is anything special as a receiver, and if he's your #2, that's an issue, but the fact that he isn't running deep routes over the top, isn't his option. He runs the plays called.

Perhaps that changes this week, and Chan opens it up.

When we are leading, which has been the case a lot, I get the impression Flo isn't on board with taking chances, and running plays that take 4+ seconds to develop.

That's not Grant's fault though.

I don't think he is anything special as a receiver, and if he's your #2, that's an issue, but the fact that he isn't running deep routes over the top, isn't his option. He runs the plays called.

Perhaps that changes this week, and Chan opens it up.

When we are leading, which has been the case a lot, I get the impression Flo isn't on board with taking chances, and running plays that take 4+ seconds to develop.
Agreed... Chan wants Tua to get the ball out quickly... but then again... I am not convinced that such a short receiver is your best bet on a go route. They get swallowed up too easily.

Yes, Grant has beet better lately... even surprisingly consistent catching the ball, but I just don't see him an an effective deep ball guy most of the time.

Also, neither of our QBs have hit our receivers in stride very often, where they can run through the catch for the YAC.

Been watching the game?

Tua's been hooking up with Grant.

No reason to cut him by tomorrow.

Meanwhile we have 13 rookies on our roster!

Been watching the game?

Tua's been hooking up with Grant.

No reason to cut him by tomorrow.

Meanwhile we have 13 rookies on our roster!
If Tua could have delivered that deep ball to Grant at the 2-3 yard line, we be discussing a different narrative right now.

Earlier in the week, I suggested that Flores/Gailey might take the training wheels off this week. (and I was roundly disagreed with) But I still think that this is a solid possibility. Those last four games should require a bit more from our offense than we've been getting, and certainly more than we've been showing.

I still think this game looks like the spot to try some longer plays and deeper passes... Waiting until the Jets game won't tell us much; they are just too horrible. Denver has some nice players mixed in and (to me anyway) it looks like a good time to test things out.

If Tua could have delivered that deep ball to Grant at the 2-3 yard line, we be discussing a different narrative right now.

Earlier in the week, I suggested that Flores/Gailey might take the training wheels off this week. (and I was roundly disagreed with) But I still think that this is a solid possibility. Those last four games should require a bit more from our offense than we've been getting, and certainly more than we've been showing.

I still think this game looks like the spot to try some longer plays and deeper passes... Waiting until the Jets game won't tell us much;
Step by step the O will get more "open" but I'm also pretty confident Flo will keep the focus on team ball
and not hero ball. Right now he's got a winning formula -- based on D and complimentary O with a lot
of special teams in the mix. If he leans on Tua too much and the kid comes up short -- you risk a set back
as opposed to staying true to the course (methodically) and banking on a team game.

Of course if we get stomped Q1 and go down 24 by half -- it's a different animal. But the formula and
execution are not putting us in that kind of situation. Keep it tight. Play mistake free solid ball. And you're
banking on the fact your team concept will win.

That said, I'm also very confident they are paying close attention to what's going down in practice.
So... bring your race car to the track when you've got a chance to win. If there's still "tuning" needed
work on it and get it ready. To me that means we formulate game plans and attacks based on what
we've seen work in practice.

>>> I saw Marino at practice in his rookie season and he was killing it downfield. Tua & Co. may not
be there yet. That's all I'm saying. And I see zero evidence that Flo & Gailey are going to force things.
I see Perry more involved. Quick stuff. More creativity with the TE stack/cluster. That's bread and
butter potentially for us.

Wallace was a deep threat with shaky hands here. like it nor not
Actually Wallace was pretty consistent with TD’s and receptions throughout his career regardless of who the QB was. He just didn’t have the yards here (always 200 or so short). Tells me he was more then a deep threat in Miami.

I’ve seen Tannehill throw some good deep balls so I’m not sure that was the issue. I think it was the combinatio of Tanny not holding it like Ben does so he could uncover and Wallace’s small catch radios and inability to win on contested balls. Pittsburgh made the right move letting him walk, they had more well rounded WR’s than him at the time.

Back
Top Bottom